Time For A Change

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Time For A Change

Post by olive »

Fingers crossed it works out for you Mischief and I hope you get the promotion too, Pov. When a job like that opens up it can make things so fraught. One of my old team threatened to leave if I’d be managing him as he’d been there longer :woteva: - thankfully he did leave as he was a complete nightmare. Entitled twat.

Good luck Annabella and Wendy!

I have just emailed my old boss to see if he has any contacts at the US branch of my old company. It’s a long shot as they are in a different city but I want to introduce myself and ask about any part time/ remote projects they may have in Atlanta.

I figure if I can pick up at least one thing then I can start building up a network. I really don’t want to go back to an office full time but I definitely want to do something now!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I've got an interview for a senior role at another school on Monday. :uhh: There were 74 applicants so I'm pretty glad I got an interview but at the same time I have terrible Imposter Syndrome.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I always think that knowing that imposter syndrome is a thing, is half the battle.

Good luck everyone. Power poses all round.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Ruby wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm I have terrible Imposter Syndrome.
So say we all, Ruby, sadly. Just keep asking yourself what would a mediocre white man do in your position, and you go girl! :z snaps: :))
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

:lol: That's exactly what I've been telling myself. Also, I spent a lot of last year saying the same thing to my female colleagues but it's different when it's yourself.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Livilla wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm
So say we all, Ruby, sadly.
Very true! Good luck, Ruby.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

wendy james wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:45 pm Maybe he thinks you’ll go for it and he can’t compete Pov?
Oh, he's too arrogant for that :lol: I don't think it'd even cross his mind that I'd apply.

Good luck Woo. If you got an interview from 74 applicants I think you've done brilliantly regardless of the outcome! Go forth and smash it :yes:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Thank you, my fellow Imposters. I am 100% going to channel the confidence of a mediocre white man.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Go Rubes!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Would you be driving Wendy and would there be parking?
Skips

Post by Skips »

It's like buses for me. I've been invited to attend an interview for a job I'd really like today (it's top of my list and I got the email Saturday). It's a really easy commute, good money and I've got all the experience they need. However, it clashes with the interview I have at 2 (longer commute, less money) and they haven't given me much notice. I'm tempted to see if I can push the 2pm one back but I wonder if that would look unprofessional.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Good luck Skips. Instead of changing the time of the Cardiff interview, is it possible to do the more local one tomorrow (before or after the one already planned)?
Princess Morripov

I'd suggest that too, if possible, given that they've asked at incredibly short notice.
Beena

Post by Beena »

I agree, Skips. I'd ask if there's any flexibility with the timing of the short-notice interview.

This is probably a really daft question, but how long does it take on average between applying for job and handing in your notice?
Skips

Post by Skips »

I wouldn't hand in my notice until I had a formal job offer. Otherwise it's how long is a piece of string. Applying for the job doesn't even guarantee an interview. If it helps I've been job hunting since March last year (on and off) and I've not handed my notice in. :))
Princess Morripov

Depends on how good the company is at the recruitment too. I work for a massive bank and it took 4 months from application to being able to hand my notice in at my current job. :efficient:
Princess Morripov

Whereas I'd normally expect say, apply, 1-2 weeks for shortlisting, 1-2 weeks for interview, 1-2 weeks for official offer, so perhaps 4-6 weeks before you'd be able to hand your notice in, in more efficient circumstances?
Beena

Post by Beena »

Sorry Skips, I explained that poorly. That's not what I meant. More how long between applying and receiving a formal offer - if you are successful.

With J relocating, I've been tentatively looking, but I'm tied here until Bambs has finished her exams around June/July. Plan A is to stick the house of the market and once it's sold (and we've got to a certain stage in the sale), hand my notice in and look for a job once I've moved.

Or if the right thing comes up, I could look to get a job first, move, then sell the house. We basically need a second wage coming in order to cover both the mortgage and any rent.

I have to give 3 months notice, which means I could in theory accept an offer in late March and be okay. My field is quite niche and jobs don't come up very often. I've seen a couple of things that I've had to let go as it was too early to apply, but I think in the next month or so, I'll be getting into the window where I can apply. Does that make any kind of sense?

The timing of everything is giving me a headache. If I don't find a job or we don't sell by September, Bambs will need to start college up here and that will be us stuck apartfor another 2 years.

J applied for his job in late August, interviewed in September and it was November before he handed in his notice. I'm guessing this isn't the norm.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Thanks Pov! Mid to late February is what I'm looking at then. That's okay.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'd apply for anything that looks suitable now, but making it clear in your initial application that you cannot commit to starting any job until August. No harm in getting yourself on future employers' radars right now if a job looks like it would be spot on for you - sometimes companies / organisations can hold fire on a recruitment if the absolutely right person pops up but just has problems with availability.