Time For A Change

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I didn’t get the job I interviewed for this morning. I’m not hugely disappointed, I know I was lacking some of the stuff they wanted & they were really nice about it.

They asked me about championing equality and diversity and I had to smile about three white women talking about it. I didn’t have an example of doing it well, so confessed about when I’d messed something up and how I’d learned from it.

They’ve offered feedback & the chance to do shadowing, which I might try for, at some point. Anyway, I’m not devastated and relieved not to have to wrestle with the idea of a new job right now.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Well done for trying, Pip.
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm They asked me about championing equality and diversity
I'm starting to think this shit does more harm than good.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I didn’t get the H&S job. They’re putting in a meeting to give me feedback which I’m not sure I want. Yay, tell me why I’m crap.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

You do need to be mentally robust for it, that’s for sure. But take the feedback, it’s rare to be offered it properly and with good intent and it sounds like it will be.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

She did say that she thinks I’m capable of a job in H&S, but this wasn’t the right job at the right time. I’m just not sure I’m resilient enough for feedback. I basically feel like a complete failure at the moment.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I thing you have to wait until the emotion has run its course before you listen to feedback. But then I get disproportionately upset by being turned down for jobs. It feels so personal.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Let some time pass to get over the disappointment and do it.

I thought I wouldn’t be disappointed but I am a little. I know I could have given a better account of myself, but they went for someone with more national level experience and I’m a country mouse. I think I’ll email a follow up in a couple of weeks and ask about shadowing.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Sorry Pip and Suzi. I hope the feedback isn't too harrowing, such, like Ruby I'm always disproportionately upset when I get turned down for a job.

I have a job offer! It's permanent and full time, albeit doing something completely different and with a massive paycut. They want me to start on the 18th, so I'd have to work less than my notice period. How do I hand my notice in so this doesn't backfire and they say no? J says to throw him under the bus and say he needs more care, but I don't feel comfortable doing that (and they could still say no). I'd be finishing mid month and we can't afford for me not to be paid for that time.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Well done Skips! They can't say no though,they can't physically force you to work. How much less notice will they be getting?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Skips

Post by Skips »

It should be a month so about half of what my contract says to give. Do I just say "I will be leaving on x date"? And try not to end it with "hope that's OK?" I'm worried about them withholding pay or something. I know they wouldn't take me to court for breach on contract, I don't earn enough.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Yes, just be factual and state your dates, don't ask any questions. I hope the new job is a good move despite the massive paycut.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

If there's someone you think you could chat to about notice, and get a sympathetic hearing, I'd do that. Otherwise I'd put it in writing to the effect of "please accept my resignation, my last working day will be XX " and leave the ball in their court.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Congratulations skips! I think Sal’s plan is a good one.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congrats Skips!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

The new move will either be one of the best things I've ever done or the worst, I don't think there will be middle ground. If nothing else it gets me out of where I am and there is potential for training and progression.

I usually resign face to face and follow it up in writing. I'm in the depot tomorrow and my line manager is in the office next door so I would imagine will want to talk whichever way I do it (I now report into the office manager that started earlier in the year and said they would make changes to my role - nothing has changed).
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Congratulations, Skips. I hope it all works out well for you. What is your new role?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Congratulations Skips!!! Great news. Have a quick straightforward chat with manager to say - I am letting you know that I am resigning and will leave xx date. And either then hand over the written notice (if on paper) or say, I will confirm in writing to you by lunchtime/end of day. Thanks
Lola

Post by Lola »

Congrats, Skips! What is the new job?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh and I also meant to say commiserations to Suzi and Pip.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Skips that is lovely news. I hope the profession happens quickly and it does turn out to be the best thing ever. Good luck with the resignation.

Soooz, I think the EHS qualification will be useful to have in the long run bit I’m sorry that you and Pipola didn’t get what you applied for.

I still don’t really have an update about my secondment though it appears to be running in the background. I am so tired of being bored but most of all lonely with my current role when working from home.