Time For A Change

Rosa

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Rosa »

Sounds good, olive! And the best of luck, Jupiter!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

That sounds great, olive. I hope this is the start of something good for you.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

The chat went well I think. He added me on LinkedIn straight afterwards and at one point he said that hopefully they will benefit from my old company's decision to let me go.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That couldn’t sound much more promising!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I didn't get it :mog: I had a call with one of the founders yesterday and I knew I didn't have enough of one aspect of the role that they wanted. Apparently they really liked me and are trying to figure out how they will fit me in by creating a new role but I will believe that when I see it. NEXT!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm gutted for you. I hope they can work something out.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

God that's mean! I hope they can work something out.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Fucking hell, I hope they find something you’re interested in.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Fuckers!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Can I ask you guys for some advice, please? I'm going to apply for an internal role this weekend. It's 2 grades above my current one but only one grade above the level I was on for two years on the secondment that just finished. I meet pretty much all the person spec and know more about the focus of the role than most as it's very much linked to what I was working on during my secondment. I'm feeling less than confident though as I'm just not sure they see me as that level. Urgh I need to woman up and harness my inner mediocre white man.

Anyway, my question is around answering questions etc related to leadership. What types of examples would you think they'd be looking for in terms of demonstrating leadership skills? I've line managed and project managed but it's a pretty hierarchical organisation in which you need to be given the mandate (and grade) to lead.

Any ideas? Thanks.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Leadership is a wide remit, if you've line managed and managed projects then I'd definitely say you've demonstrated leadership!As for examples, it's hard to say because I suspect these are industry/sector specific or even employer specific, but in my most recent interview I was asked to demonstrate when I'd shown leadership in the face of resistance to change - could you think of those kind of scenarios?

And yes, channel your inner mediocre white male :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thanks, sal. That's helpful. I guess it's about how I frame the examples as much as anything.

I have nothing to lose by applying for it and part-time roles at that level never come up - this is a first - so it's got to be worth a try.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Jupiter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 pm I didn't get it :mog: I had a call with one of the founders yesterday and I knew I didn't have enough of one aspect of the role that they wanted. Apparently they really liked me and are trying to figure out how they will fit me in by creating a new role but I will believe that when I see it. NEXT!
What dicks! I hope they do come back with something. Or something else even better comes along.

I agree with Sal, if you’ve line managed and managed projects then you’ve got leadership experience. Resistance of change is always a good one, are examples of motivating your wider team (upwards and across as well as those you manage) when a project isn’t going to plan or being solution oriented to demonstrate bigger picture/ strategic thinking. Good luck!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I don’t know if it’s the same where you are but in my old company, leadership and management were two distinct things. Leadership being more strategic, visionary, proactive, implementing change, driving the business towards its goals etc. Management being more practical, hands on, managing people, getting things done. So if the company has vision/values statements, I would try and think of examples from your work that demonstrate you have proactively worked towards those when leading a project or whatever?

You sound ideally suited to apply for the role to me. These things are nearly always going to be a step up, go for it and good luck!

ETA: I’ve just googled “how to demonstrate leadership” and there are loads of ideas there, chuck some of those in tailored to your experience I reckon :)).
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thanks, both. Good points. I don't think they do really mean line management. I've put that bit last. I think you're both right about motivating people, working towards the vision and managing change.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Application is done and I'm feeling more confident now so thank you for your help!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Good luck. You sound ideally placed for it!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Good luck Purp, it sounds ideal.

I’ve talked myself out of applying for a couple of jobs lately, everything just feels too uncertain. But I really ought to push myself.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Thank you! A part of me really felt like I couldn't be bothered or it wasn't worth it but I think it's good practice to apply for things even if you don't get an interview or get the job.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Good luck, Purp!

And Pip too, if you feel like applying next time something you fancy comes up.