Time For A Change

Beena

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Beena »

Thanks Del, that's a good idea. There's only 2 or 3 employers I could go to down there, so I might need to jump on anything that moves.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I was thinking the same as Del said, particularly if your role is fairly niche. S's current job also took about 4 months from being put forward to handing in his notice, even though they were, in essence, dead keen on him from the first interview. Internal politics and a christmas break accounted for the rest.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Beena, if there are only 2 or 3 employers in the area might it be worth approaching directly now rather than wait for them to advertise jobs. Tell them directly you expect to move to the area in X time and do they have anything upcoming in that period.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Ah right, I get it now, and agree with Del and Annabella. Get your CV out to them now and apply for jobs as they come up.

My interview yesterday was a complete disaster, it felt like everything I said was the wrong thing. There was a test afterwards that I think I did ok on, but my gut says it'll be a no from them.

I managed to get one of the interviews shifted to Thursday afternoon. J and I discussed taking a hit on pay while I'm job hunting and he's fine with it.

I also cancelled the Cardiff interview, it's too far away and things seem to be picking up a bit here.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Your potential employers are likely to be able to be flexible too Beena, especially considering the summer break. Plus it can take ages to negotiate details/get your contract. The wheels can move slowly!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Sorry to hear about the interview yesterday Skips. Don't give up hope - maybe you did much better than you think. Good luck with the others this week
Skips

Post by Skips »

I think I'd rather assume I didn't get it based on gut instinct of a bad interview, than get my hopes up. It didn't feel like a good interview, and I'm fine with that, going forward I can change what I do/how I answer questions.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ah, that's a shame Skips. As you say, at least you will be able to work on what you don't think went so well.
mischief

Post by mischief »

I have an interview for my promotion next Tuesday which I have to do a presentation for. I think I'm the only candidate and the two people on the interview panel have both been very supportive. Everyone in my team got interviews for the posts they wanted and we were all like giddy teenagers this afternoon. We are all going to practice our presentations in front of each other
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

That’s brilliant, mischief! I love how you and your colleagues are all supporting one another. My experience has always been very different with lots of secrecy. Good luck! :fc:

When do you expect to hear back from your interview, Skips?

I’ve had a positive chat with the employment arm of the relocation team assigned to us. :)) I have a contact for my ex office to speak to this week as well who is based out in Chicago and I’m hoping to meet someone from the NY team when I’m out there.

At the moment my plan is to introduce myself, big myself up and hope they bear me in mind for any local/ ad hoc projects. It’s not the most solid plan but at least it’s a starting point.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That sounds good mischief - best of luck!

And to you too, olive. Networking and chatting sound like a good start.

That’s a shame Skips, though I admire your “onwards and upwards!” stance.

Todays phone interview didn’t go ahead - he was delayed and after 10 minutes I asked that we reschedule, which apparently he can’t do until the 24th.

I’ve applied for a couple of jobs in Bristol now, one of which is only a maternity cover but would give me chance to try out that commute for 9 months. Swindon every day would be an arse but I’m fairly sure there’s travel involved, which should allow for some flexibility. Haven’t heard any more on that one yet though.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I should hear on Friday.

And I find the applying/getting interviews a real struggle and soul destroying. For some reason, knowing I've had a bad interview is easy for me to admit. :lol: And if I've had a good interview and don't get the job I also struggle (cry).
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

How did you get on on Monday Ruby?

I’ve got an interview for the Swindon role, and have a bit of imposter syndrome about it too having seen a full job spec. But the agent tells me the hiring manager is keen *because* I’m not from a hard services background so we shall see. They were looking at next Tuesday but that’s when my exams are.:mrgreen:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

wendy james wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 pm How did you get on on Monday Ruby?
I didn't get it. :cry: I got down to the last two, from 74, and then lost out. I absolutely loved the place and the job too and I let myself get excited about it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh Ruby what a shame. It’s great that you got to last two though. That means you should feel confident about applying for something similar.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Oh that’s such a shame, Ruby. Hopefully that’ll give you a little more confidence that you’re not an imposter.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think it's made it worse tbh. :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ruby, I’m so sorry. That’s really close. What a fucker.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Oh, sorry ruby. Sounds like you did really well, although I know it’s little consolation.

Fingers crossed Wendy. Sounds quite positive :fc:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ruby wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:30 pm I think it's made it worse tbh. :))
Yeah, it probably would do that to me too! You’re good and other people see that though. So ner.