Time For A Change

Epponnee Rae

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Est, it’s great that you are enjoying the challenge of your new role. What you say about a (maybe) Director position sounds intriguing. Even if you think you’re not ready, would you consider applying anyway? If not you, another mediocre white man may end up there…

As for me, there’s no obligation to follow up on internal apps but it’s not a bad idea to do so. I am at a disadvantage in my attitude to networking here, where I assume an internal app means people know you have applied and who you are. It squicks me to do the informal outreach to a hiring manager when there is an application process. I don’t really see how (objectively) that makes a difference except when selections aren’t objective (whic never happens) :george:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I can see how that would be tricky (and awkward :( )

I also, reading back, realise I wasn’t super clear. My Director has a new job, so it’s his position that is vacant rather than it being a new position.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

So after 7 interviews and a quick call to ask 'are you still interested/looking for other work?' I received today a generic 'thanks but no thanks' email. :lol:

I'll reply with the standard niceties when I can be bothered.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Duo, that is staggeringly appalling of them (assuming I’ve read it right that it was 7 interviews at the same place). I’m sorry, that’s really shit of them to string you along like that.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

That is shocking!
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Seven interviews?! You are a saint for playing along with that. I’m sorry you didn’t get it.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Wow! I think you dodged a bullet if that's the way they treat people, but what a waste of your time.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That's just outrageous!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's so rude and what a waste of your time. They definitely don't deserve you.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s an insane amount of time to commit and then not even receive a phone call. Arseholes.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Fucking hell, duo.

Nowhere near the same scale but I got rejected from a job last year because my PhD wasn't done. Same job came up again (they didn't appoint anyone) and I applied in April after my supervisor was contacted saying they really wanted me. They kept telling him this. I ticked the box for guaranteed interview just to maximise.ky chances anyway. He was told yesterday that HR would contact me soon. They did. I got a generic automated fuck off today 🥳
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm more bemused than angry tbh but yes it's an appalling way to treat folk.

They're fools Smun, utter fools.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve decided to apply for the Director role. Prompted by some messages from someone I used to work with in my team. Permanent ones almost never come up, and if anything it’s good practice writing an application for a Senior Officer role which I’ve never done. It closes next Thursday so I’ll work on it over the weekend. I don’t expect to even get an interview but even just feedback on my application will be worthwhile.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Good luck, I think it's totally worth applying for the simple fact that it raises your profile.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yay! That’s exciting, Est! I’m sure you’ll do well (I won’t wish you good luck, because it’s not about luck!)

I took a promotion 2 years ago and had to move to a new office. Next week I’m goi g back to my old office at my higher position. I’m nervous, but excited! I loved my old office. I hope I can do a good job when I get there.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I didn’t apply for the Director role in the end. Which with hindsight was the right move. However my current role keeps expanding (I’ve doubled my direct reports) and the workload is increasing too. I’m slightly jaded. So have impulse applied for a role in another department which is at level but has no line management responsibilities (and looks very interesting) Closing date is this Friday so hopefully I hear something in the coming weeks.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Good luck! I would love not to have to line manager anyone so that sounds much better.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Oooo, good luck!

I’m hoping to offload my direct reports pretty soon. They talk too much.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Good luck!

It’s all the admin and soft management stuff that does my nut in.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

It takes up so much bloody time! Timesheets, leave requests, performance management.