Time For A Change

Beena

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Beena »

I'm suffering from a strong dose of imposter syndrome and I haven't even started yet. :(

Can I ask about contracts? HR have sent one through, after an organisation pay award was announced, which gave additional leave plus a small salary increase. The contract is back-dated to 2 days before the announcement and it specifies the lower salary/leave entitlement.

Obviously I know about the award through J. I asked HR what it would mean for me, was told it would apply and I'd get the extra leave. I've had to ask 3 times about the pay increment and still haven't had an answer.

J received a revised contract when a similar change happened during his recruitment. Considering I haven't signed anything yet, do I need to insist that mine is amended with the new T&C's?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I would. That's either spectacularly inefficient or shonky of them, but either way I'd want an accurate contract. I'd sed it back unsigned, with a note explaining the reasons why. (And congratulations by the way!)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

-
Last edited by Ella77 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Thanks Del (and Ella!)

I need to channel my mediocre white man more and stop feeling like they're going to tell me they made a huge mistake.

ETA: I'm a bit pissed off that I only know about the changes as my husband works for the same organisation. I asked HR for confirmation of my leave and salary, only to be told about my leave. I asked again what the revised salary would be and was told the salary on my contract is £x. So I asked again for the figure post-increase and for an updated contract, but it's gone to radio silence.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I hope you manage to get it sorted, Beena (my phone is determined to autocorrect that to Brenda!) It sounds really dodgy of them.

I’ve just taken a very unexpected phone call where I’ve essentially been offered a new position out of the blue. Someone I used to work with years ago recently started in my current department running a pretty major project. He advertised a position last month and he says the pool of applicants was rubbish and he doesn’t want to interview, but wants to know if I’d be interested. He’s sending me the role description through and I’m going to meet him for a coffee tomorrow. It’s a level up from my current role and would be temp for the duration of the project (drop dead date of March 2021) My only reservation is moving back into the project delivery space after being in a PMO for 4 years.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ooh. Definitely worth a conversation, and make sure to ask for amazing money.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Amazing money :mog: You know I’m a civil servant, right? It’s out of IT too and in the most interesting business area of my department (IMO)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That’s exciting, Est!

Beena, well done! Stamp that impostor syndrome on the head and embrace your inner mediocre white man 💪.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

Hello. I’m at risk of redundancy so will be sorting my cv out this weekend. Sigh.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Suzi.Q wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 pm Hello. I’m at risk of redundancy so will be sorting my cv out this weekend. Sigh.
Oof, Suze. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have an idea how likely it is to go through?
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m sorry, Suze. Fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that.

I met with the guy today. I’ve got to go through a “fair and equitable” ;) process so had to submit what is being called a late application. I had to knock that out pretty quickly but it’s submitted now. I’m a bit unsure what next steps are. He’s actually interviewing one person for the role on Monday.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh ugh, suzy. That's rubbish.

I am experimenting with private supervison, for an ex colleague/friend who is now working privately. I have not undersold myself and have asked for the going rate. I am waiting on a reply :bob:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Suzi, that's awful for you, I'm sorry.

I have had the busiest week of my life I think, and the work keeps on coming thick & fast. I've no idea how to cope with it any more.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

42 people impacted, 24 redundancies. For my role there are 4 equivalent jobs to apply for, and 9 of us.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Do you want one of the jobs on offer?
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I’m going to apply. My job is far from perfect but I really value being 4 days a week. I’ll be liking elsewhere too.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I had a formal interview for the role this morning. It went ok. Not amazing, but fine. I’m doing that thing now of remembering all the stuff I should’ve said and didn’t though :ella: And they didn’t mark it as a private appointment when they sent it through to my (work) email and I’m unsure if anyone noticed it before I marked it private myself. I will find out this week if they want me or not.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Fingers crossed, Est. And for you too, Suzi. That's quite a cut in staff numbers.

I'm still arguing with HR, who are point-blank refusing to send an updated contract or confirm what my salary will be. They claim that they are in the process of determining the details for everyone, but the revised scale is already up on their intranet so that's hogwash.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Can you not just call them out on that, Beena? It’s pretty poor show of them. I hope they pull their finger out.

Suze, what are timeframes for you to know more? It must be so unsettling, I’m sorry.
Beena

Post by Beena »

I have. Several times. I'll see what they reply to my latest email and then speak to the recruiting manager. By all accounts, they are notoriously inefficient.