Time For A Change

Princess Morripov

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Princess Morripov »

Fingers crossed you won’t have to go back, Est!

I still can’t believe that my complete bitch ex boss never spoke a word to me once I handed my notice in, and sat next to me for a whole month just ignoring me. She even faked a phone call as I was getting up to leave on my last day so she didn’t have to say goodbye to me.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I don't want to clog up the daily thread, but C has formally left the building after going through capability assessments and various meetings.

Nothing has been said to me about the role or what is going on (in fact, nothing has been said about it in an official capacity at all to anyone). I would happily stay here; the hours work for me and my other commitments, the salary isn't bad for the area and I get on well with the people I work with.

But I have already reached the point where I think I have been patient enough. A large part of my mental health issues can be tied to this situation I'm in and I know that I have been job hunting and not really getting anywhere, but I also can't take time off to meet with agencies and fully open myself up to all the opportunities out there (unlike London they only seem to work within office hours and I'm expected to go and see them face to face - the largest one for the roles I have experience in won't put me forward to any role and won't have a Skype call).

I'm rambling, I know I am, but I don't know what to do any more. My current contract is until the end of November but I still need to give one months' notice (i.e tomorrow) if I want to leave when that is up and I don't want to sign onto another one.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I think you should wait a few more days while they sort things out if this has just happened. They’ll probably be doing paperwork & having to figure out how they go about getting you made permanent.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

I agree with Lola, Skips. If it’s a job you quite fancy making permanent then don’t cut your nose off. :(

Is there anyone you could ask off the record?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Yes, I agree that it’s probably not as cut and dried as marching her out of the building and giving you the job there and then.

Fingers crossed it’ll happen soon as I get how frustrating it’s been for you.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

What would your preferred outcome be, Skps? Would it be to stay there? If so, I agree with the others, give it a few days, the managers are probably trying to sort something just now.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Sorry that everything is (still!) all up in the air, every time i see you post about an interview I want you to get it so, so badly.

Please double check that bit about you needing to give them a months’s notice if you intend to leave by the end of the contract, it seems very odd to me given that this is a fixed term contract. What would happen on the 1st of Dec if you didn’t give notice tomorrow?
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Presumably if you don’t sign a new contract in November they can’t keep you even if you haven’t given notice? It sounds like there’s some space for you to find out what’s going on and if the available job would suit you. If they mess you around or the job doesn’t suit would it be possible to take a few late starts/early finishes to allow you to meet the agencies?
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

Sorry to have posted and run, I’m really struggling with the work situation and I’m dealing with it by burying my head in the sand, as I’m a grown up. There are 9 of us at my grade, and 4 new roles. They’re carrying out the selection by points scoring, and I think I’d be in with a good chance. But HR have said the new roles will be full time, and if I’m successful I’ll have to reapply for flexible working. I’m leaning towards taking voluntary redundancy as I don’t feel I’m being left with much of a choice. If I get one of the new roles and get refused flexible working then I really don’t want to work there. If I take voluntary then I’ll be ok for money for at least 8 months. It’s tempting.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Oh Suzi, take the money and run! I hate all the hoops companies make you jump through just to keep your own job. :mad:

It would also be the less stressful, taking back control option.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I think that’s partly why it’s so tempting, at least I’d have some control then.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'd definitely take the money if it's that much and you don't love the job.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Will they let you by-pass the selection process and opt for VS, Suze? One of my friends is in a very similar position (redundancy, 2 people per new post, full time when she's currently 0.5fte) and has been told if she chooses not to apply or take a role (if offered), she would be leaving of her own accord and will not qualify for any payment. She cannot work FT and so feels compelled to deliberately throw the interview. It seems such a futile, humiliating thing to do.

I'm not sure about my new job and can't quite put my finger on what it is. It feels like same shit, different wrapping. Maybe a career change is in order.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

Yes, putting yourself forward for VR means if it’s accepted you’re taken out of the selection process.
Beena

Post by Beena »

It's definitely worth some serious thought then. I'd be very tempted.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I’ve applied for VR. I also have an interview for a clinical trials role with my current company next week. I’m a mix of scared and excited.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm late to this but in the circumstances I'd ask for VR too. Best of luck Suze!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That sounds like a great plan though, Suz! Good luck. :turtle:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That all sounds positive, Suze. I hope things all pan out for you!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Good luck! Sounds like a good decision.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.