Day trip from London

FiveO'Clock

Day trip from London

Post by FiveO'Clock »

R and I are traveling to London and Edinburgh the first week of April. R's daughter (in London) has cleared a day for us and I'd like to have a mix of the three of us spending some time together, and also taking myself off to read a book while they have a chance to take a walk and have a chat. We will have a hire car and my ability to walk is still limited, so I'd like to find somewhere we can park close to and I won't be in the way if I have a coffee and read for a bit while they go off. Any suggestions?
Froozy

Re: Day trip from London

Post by Froozy »

Whereabouts in London will you be setting off from? It’s probably wise to stick to that general area rather than spend lots of time in the car getting somewhere and home again.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Would Oxford be too far? It's mainly Park & Ride these days, but the buses drop you off in the centre and it's a compact little place. With lots of delicious places for coffee - and reading on your own is positively encouraged. :mrgreen:
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Hampstead Heath, I believe. The problem with R's suggestions is that he doesn't sit still for any length of time, so can't really imagine I might bother someone if I take up space for an hour or two.

Oxford sounds lovely. I'm just not sure how long we should spend in the car due to her only having the one day available.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Hampstead Heath, I believe. The problem with R's suggestions is that he doesn't sit still for any length of time, so can't really imagine I might bother someone if I take up space for an hour or two.

Oxford sounds lovely. I'm just not sure how long we should spend in the car due to her only having the one day available.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Kenwood house is near Hampstead and meant to be lovely. I bet it has a lovely cafe for reading too and I expect there’s parking on site.

The Heath itself is meant to be beautiful with a whole range of things to see (I haven’t been but have heard people on the subject!). So that might be worth considering too, depending on the weather.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

To be honest, I'd stick with London and just use public transport. Off the top of my head, Greenwich, Richmond, Kew, the South Bank or even Hampstead village and the Heath would all suit.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Froozy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:05 pm Kenwood house is near Hampstead and meant to be lovely. I bet it has a lovely cafe for reading too and I expect there’s parking on site.

The Heath itself is meant to be beautiful with a whole range of things to see (I haven’t been but have heard people on the subject!). So that might be worth considering too, depending on the weather.
I spent many a Sunday afternoon as a kid at Kenwood, and yes it's lovely! Highgate cemetery is another possibility in your near vicinity.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Nice suggestions, thank you!