Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Toast
Delboy

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Toast »

Just in case it's useful for anyone, I've been able to get a full refund from BA for all the flights I booked directly with them. Airbnb are now offering a full refund for certain dates and Expedia have refunded for me two hotels I had booked (this is subject to the hotel policy, however).

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s great! Has BA paid you already (and is it rude to ask that?)

We asked Virgin for a refund, and I think it could be 3-4 months before we see any money, IF we do. Luckily the money was spent long ago, so we can afford to wait for now. We’ve also had two hotels refunded, and one refund confirmed but not received yet, so we’re extremely lucky.

Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Not rude at all!

They haven't paid yet, no. They said 7-10 days but we'll see. The woman on the 'phone was really lovely and apologetic. Unlike the woman at Delta (who I'm still trying to resolve an issue with).

I hope Virgin come through for you. I thought perhaps they might reconsider their position if BA had but what do I know?

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you. I thought that was quick! Virgin said it would be 10 days or so before we even get anything in writing, then up to 90 days (I think) after that. At least we are in the system now, because even if we do have to go via travel insurance or Section 75 in the end, we’d still have had to jump through all the hoops with Virgin first anyway.

Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

When I was going down the Section 75 route, all the HSBC wanted was confirmation of the booked flights. I did at first think I'd need something in writing from the airline but they said it wasn't necessary. It might be the same for you if you do have to do S75? Ignore me if you've already been told differently by Virgin, of course!

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The thing with Section 75 is that they can dispute it or make things difficult for claimants, so I figure that as long as we can show that we played the game all along, if we do get to the point of making a claim and they dispute it, at least we’ll be able to point to dates and times of conversations we’ve had with them, etc.

Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Yes, that's a good point. I had been making a note of those things actually so I guess on some level I was thinking the same.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

We will (politely) TAKE THEM DOWN (kindly but firmly) with good record-keeping.

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

From the Guardian, this is helpful on cash refund Vs credit note:

'legally, under the current Package Travel Regulations, customers are entitled to a cash refund. However, Intrepid, like many other tour operators is offering a credit note as an alternative in the hope that customers will want to join a tour when normal travel resumes. Intrepid’s credit notes are valid until end of April 2022, but Helen is worried that future departures may be fully booked due to pent up demand. She is also worried that the 110% does not cover the cost of the original trip which she bought at a 25% discount. Guardian Travel put those two points to Intrepid but had not received an answer at the time of publication.

Helen’s other concern was that the credit note might be worthless if the company goes out of business. This week the Association of Travel Agents (Abta) has confirmed that credit notes will have the same protection as holidays. It says: “If you are not able to postpone, your travel provider may offer you a Refund Credit Note instead of an immediate cash refund. This Refund Credit Note can be used to book another holiday at a later date and, in the meantime, it is protected by Abta/Atol if your original booking had that protection, so you would be reimbursed if the travel company failed financially.”
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.