Mykonos/Greek Islands

happyhighlandcoo

Mykonos/Greek Islands

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Sorry for the travel post when most people are staying a home, keeping away from people, worrying about the state of the world etc. Please look away if you can't face it (sorry!) :fish:

We have flights to Greece booked next month for our should-be/might-be honeymoon. We have bookings in hotels in Athens and Santorini for the start and end leg of the trip but the middle hotel on Paros (the main one and most beautiful of all...) have cancelled our booking as they are staying closed due to Covid meaning they can't offer the level of service they want :cry:

I want to go to a totally different island and save Paros for when we can go to the beautiful hotel as I can't find anything on Paros I like better.

So - any Cyclades experts - where would you go? We generally like city life so would like to have a bit of bustle and walkable shops and restaurants but would rather it not be crazy busy, especially if we might be trying to keep our distance from people whilst there (after having been on a plane... :) ). We like a meal and a drink out of an evening but not clubbing or drunken Brits/Americans abroad etc. After all this shit, I want proper luxe with a private pool and beautiful view.

This place is currently in the lead but might be a bit too far out of town for us https://dreamboxmykonos.com/mini-villas/

I've done a search and see lots of people have been to Mykonos as proper grown ups so I guess it isn't only a party island which was my first impression. Would Mykonos Town be too much? Mr Coo gets grumpy if there is any noise in the hotel. Any other suggestions, either on Mykonos or other islands?

Thank you if you got this far :blah:
happyhighlandcoo

Re: Mykonos/Greek Islands

TL; DR - Is Mykonos nice? Mykonos town or elsewhere? What other islands of the Cyclades are nice?
Luna

Post by Luna »

In my experience all the Cyclades are lovely. Mykonos is definitely the most cosmopolitan and the busiest but it is also beautiful. I would go there but Naxos is also nice.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Mykonos is lovely. We stayed at a gorgeous place about a 20 minute walk out of Mykonos town and we had our own little private pool on the room, let me dig it out.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

This was the place. Their breakfasts were amazing, buffet alongside whatever you wanted to request :ready:

https://www.mykonosbay-hotel.com/

It was right on the beach too.
happyhighlandcoo

Thank you for confirming it as a good place. It is an exciting thing in the madness at the moment.

I've looked at Naxos but I'm struggling to find a hotel which gives me the luxe. It is a bit last minute.

Thanks for the Mykonos recommendation, it looks so beautiful with the beach right there. I think we'll definitely do Mykonos. Maybe if cruises are cancelled it will be slightly quieter than usual too :silver lining: :))
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Mykonos is gorgeous. We didn’t stay in the main town, and it was fine! Our hotel was on the beach and they had an hourly shuttle which worked out well. We stayed at the Art & Mare Elia Suites which was a boutique 5 star property but not insane prices.

https://www.eliasuites.com/

Mykonos town is really expensive to eat and drink in so I was glad of our nearby beach front restaurant. It was so lovely to wander around, getting lost in the gorgeous little lanes, having sunset drinks and I adored the windmills. A brilliant choice!