Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Arrietty

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Arrietty »

We have booked three nights at an Airbnb near Scarborough in a couple of weeks time. It’s not cheap, but then nothing seemed to be! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised really, it being August.

I can’t wait to get away and see something different! :lol: Seaside, fresh air, lots of walking and hopefully not too many people where we are staying. We might even risk a meal in a pub.

olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Epponnee Rae wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 am
Apparently I also just needed to vent my frustration and whine into the universe as about an hour after posting that self-indulgent post I found a rental in the San Juans for 5 nights, so I’m going there on Sunday! I am a bit suspicious still and half expecting it to be cancelled for some reason, but they’ve taken my money so fingers crossed :fc:

It’s a house right on the coast, south facing with a deck looking out over the sea. Very isolated which means no light pollution and I am really looking forward to STARS.

Right, what else do I need to moan about?
I’m so glad you managed to find somewhere, Epp! I’m finding exactly what you described - $$$ for huge houses for 16-20 for a little 4/5 night break. I can’t complain though as we actually had a proper holiday to Mexico back in March.
emma_p wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 am
Are there any National Parks near you with availability, Olive? I would I would highly recommend Shenandoah, in any season, if that's not too crazy a drive?
Unfortunately it’s too far a drive for us (8 hours) and we did the Smoky Mountains/ Shenandoah on our way to Washington last year. I’ve been looking at the quieter Florida beaches along 30A but everyone seems to have the same idea so there are only massive beach houses left. We’re debating going when school starts so the boys and Mr O can work/ do virtual learning remotely from there as school is back in 3 weeks.

Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I've just booked a week in Dorset for the end of the holidays. We'll be on a park but we only ever use the pool anyway, and I'm happy to do without that (although I'm hoping they will do booked slots for small groups by then in which case we'd use the pool but not the changing rooms.) Berty and TD are super excited to be Mary Anning and I can't wait for a change of scenery.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ooo, where? We’re going to Dorset tomorrow! Holiday twins again!

Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Between Poole and Weymouth. I didn't directly copy you (this time :)) ) but have you been fossil hunting there? I think it might have been pictures of your boys that put the idea in my head a while back. (Plus we're trying to go to different places, after years of Devon/Cornwall/Wales. I'm the only one of us who's been to Dorset, which is daft as it's so close!)

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

No, we haven’t. I’ve been told to go to Kimmeridge and apparently there’s a nice museum.

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Loralei wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Between Poole and Weymouth. I didn't directly copy you (this time :)) ) but have you been fossil hunting there? I think it might have been pictures of your boys that put the idea in my head a while back. (Plus we're trying to go to different places, after years of Devon/Cornwall/Wales. I'm the only one of us who's been to Dorset, which is daft as it's so close!)
I have just got back from a place between Poole and Weymouth. The Jurassic Coast as they call it. lol.

Corfe Castle was lovely, but really very lovely was the walk up to Dulston Castle in the country park. A drink in the Square and Compass might be an option also in Worth Matravers.
You have lived life thus far, tell me how you have done it?

Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We're off to Dorset next week as well :mrgreen: Camping near Weymouth.

Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Cerise wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:18 pm
No, we haven’t. I’ve been told to go to Kimmeridge and apparently there’s a nice museum.
Is that the one with the Etches (so?) collection?

Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Enjoy Dorset! I stayed at Lytchett a couple of years ago and it was lovely.

Ruby

Post by Ruby »

We were meant to be going to Dorset to stay with my friend this summer. We've been there a few times in recent years. I'm quite sad we are not going. I love the Jurassic coast, Swanage and Corfe castle. There's a lot of geography down there. :))

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Texaco Shirley wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:12 pm
Cerise wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Is that the one with the Etches (so?) collection?
Yep!

emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I have very fond memories of holidays in Lyme Regis and Swanage :love:

We have been so lucky with the weather in Whitstable this week. Although we have ended up being visited by people every day, my brother turned up with his boys totally uninvited today! I’ve not seen my brother for ages so after I got over the shock it was lovely.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

HOW on earth did he just rock up uninvited?

emma_p

Post by emma_p »

My mum told him we were in Whitstable. He called me at 12 to say he was here, where were we? :mog:

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh god :lol:. He’s not staying, right?

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s kind of sweet. I quite like my brother currently though.

emma_p

Post by emma_p »

He is thankfully staying at his MIL’s in Rochester. He came back after the beach and I could see him clocking the bed situ (they stayed over before when we stayed here 5 years ago) But I was like we have dinner reservations, lovely to see you - see you soon! 👋

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh my god, brothers :)).

sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

We have just booked 4 nights in an apartment on the west coast of Scotland, for September. I am really looking forward to it although it will probably rain the entire time :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse