London Weekend

Froozy

Re: London Weekend

Post by Froozy »

It’s marked on the path next to the Observatory, no going in required.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Greenwich sometimes does Secret Cinema, smal. I saw Back to the Future there years ago which was really good fun.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Inspired by this thread, Mr R and I just had a nice day out in Canary Wharf. The mini golf was fun, while sadly the basketball was never free whenever we checked.
IMG_20210623_123752.jpg
We had a decent lunch at The Sipping Place, which has gone all out on the outside decor, and then had a fascinating wander around the Docklands Museum.
IMG_20210623_131611.jpg
IMG_20210623_131622.jpg
The sunlight sculptures were a bit underwhelming unless they were in full sun.

It was weird being there midweek lunchtime and it not being heaving with suits. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mini golf!
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:10 pmMini golf!
I love it! Mr R was all unenthusiastic about the idea and then he was the one jumping around when he hit a hole in one. :lol: It was quiet but I can see it being busier once school break up maybe.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ah! This is lovely. You've road tested my mini break :))

W and S are quite partial to mini golf. I booked the hilton so we're all go for July*

*subject to covid restrictions/self isolation status/4 horsemen etc
Last edited by smalex on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I didn’t know it was there. Will get the boat over 🚤.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Mini golf!

We’ve got as far as booking Dishoom.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

It's quite near the clipper landing stage end of the wharf, the mini golf.

Also, although the Museum said to book online, I didn't know when we might end up there and by late last night all slots still seemed to be free so we just went as walk ins and that was fine. Again, might be different in high summer.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm Mini golf!

We’ve got as far as booking Dishoom.
No hotel? Its such a PITA having to book everything in advance. Dishoom though! (I mean I've never been but it seems popular)
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 pm I didn’t know it was there. Will get the boat over 🚤.
I only knew because of the link Derek posted about the light sculptures, which showed the other stuff they have on. It's from 12-6 daily. They have stewards who give out the kit and sanitise it between users.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:21 pm It's quite near the clipper landing stage end of the wharf, the mini golf.

Also, although the Museum said to book online, I didn't know when we might end up there and by late last night all slots still seemed to be free so we just went as walk ins and that was fine. Again, might be different in high summer.
Yeah, first weekend of the holidays, I'm taking no chances. Specially after the debacle trying to find somewhere to eat in bude without booking (in short: impossible, literally no tables)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We’ve done the hotel & train tickets too. Just wondering if we need to book all meals.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its so hard to know isn't it. Honestly bude was ridiculous. Literally no where to eat if you hadn't booked at least 12hrs in advance, despite there being a lot of eateries. Some places booked 3 days ahead. Takeaway pizza was a 2hr wait (we ended up with F&C)

but... its London and restrictions might be gone by then? Who knows.
I'm definitely booking attractions ahead of time though.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I would probably book Pip, apart from restrictions, loads of places are suffering from a shortage of staff and are having to restrict hours/numbers for that reason.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm I would probably book Pip, apart from restrictions, loads of places are suffering from a shortage of staff and are having to restrict hours/numbers for that reason.
That's a good point. Mondays & Tuesdays may become a challenge in particular.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Hmm. Good point.
Every restaurant/food venue I follow on fb seems to require a chef/waiting staff atm.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

When we were in Oban last week (major tourist location in Scotland) I'd have said every second pub/restaurant/cafe had signs up advertising for staff. The problem is that there is nowhere for them to live while they work there, plus also Brexit :shrug:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

This elephant trail in the parks looks nice: https://wordsforlife.org.uk/elephantstorytrail/
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

It's London so you'll find somewhere to eat, but it might not necessarily be where you want to eat - so I'd book if I were you.

We're in N Norfolk the last week of the summer holidays and I booked the main places we want to eat at last week and we managed to book in everywhere, but availbility was pretty limited.