Manchester hotels

Chicky

Re: Manchester hotels

Post by Chicky »

Also never stay at the Britannia. Genuinely the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Manchester does have a bit more er, culture, sights, architecture, joy than Failsworth. :)) You are indeed an excellent girlfriend.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Beena wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am Don't stay in an Ibis Budget! That made the Ibis seem like height of decadence.
I think that's what we had. It was certainly okay to share for a night and was comfy. But not a treaty weekend place.

We stayed in an open bathroom place in Edinburgh. It was horrific.

What about air bnb? You get some lovely apartments on there.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I am making a note of all the places to avoid :)) (including Failsworth apparently)

The place we stayed was fine, Hamm but you're right, we (I) want something a bit treatier.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

Chicky wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:33 am Also never stay at the Britannia. Genuinely the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in.
Any! Ever! We did a night before and a night after a Glasgow flight for the parking and it surpassed bloody Kazakhstan.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I think Luther once had a fight in the Manchester Britannia, which makes it worthy of a blue plaque probably.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Hamm wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 am
Beena wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 am Don't stay in an Ibis Budget! That made the Ibis seem like height of decadence.
I think that's what we had. It was certainly okay to share for a night and was comfy. But not a treaty weekend place.
Definitely not comfy. That's where we stayed on Friday with the plank bed - and the shower cubicle in the corner. Wash your bits in full view of everyone.

I usually stay in the Holiday Inn on Oxford Road if we're going into town for gigs, but wrong side of town.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Chicky wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:33 am Also never stay at the Britannia. Genuinely the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in.
Yes! I stayed there once with work and it was awful.

Was there a tv programme/documentary about that hotel years ago?
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

We had a broken shower, a sink with a hole in and paper walls with a farter next door. We were dreading going back but it was a 2 am arrival with a drive so no choice and we got a room that was 5' by 7', we had to climb over the suitcases to get in the bed/to the loo and the bed was a 3/4 with a single duvet. Good breakfast and safe parking though.

Manchester airport has a fab premier inn at the cargo site. One of the nicest places I've ever stayed.
Last edited by Hamm on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

We just stayed in the Premier Inn at Piccadilly last night. Perfectly decent hotel, but a typical Premier Inn, so wouldn't be much of a treat to stay there.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

There was a bright pink one full of bedbugs and hookers, which was so hilariously bad that we never even bothered checking in. :lol:

Sachez? Shancho's Sashas? Something like that.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Sasha's!! No! Don't stay there. That had a reputation back when I was a teen in the 80s.

There are some lovely (and very pricey) hotels in Manchester, but not around NQ.

Cow Hollow? https://www.cowhollow.co.uk/
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

It’s Sacha’s. I know this because I stayed there with my ex. A whole group of us stayed, as it was an obvious place to stay for his birthday. :lol:

It’s a Britannia one, I’m sure.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I am talking 20 odd years ago, so things may well have changed. :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I doubt it, based on the posts from locals every time it comes up.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Noted about Sasha's then :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Don't stay in a Travelodge. P and I did once when we went up for the football and it was horrible, plus we had to stand out in the freezing cold for about an hour at 2:30am because the fire alarm went off, and the only staff member around was a teenager on reception who couldn't turn the alarm off for about half an hour and then seemed astounded at the idea that someone should check things out to make sure that, you know, the building wasn't actually on fire.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I dunno, we stayed in one just outside Glasgow for driving up reasons and I was very dubious because it was in a very busy area, right by the car park and the lift. It was so well run and soundproofed. We had an amazing nights sleep but shit breakfast. I'd go again but I'd just do the McDonald's next door for a mcmuffin.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Sal, if you look around Piccadilly, there are chains like the Malmaison, Doubletree Hilton, etc. Piccadilly is the top end of the NQ and you can get trains, trams, etc. from there.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Last minute might be good for a deal on Malmaison.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.