Manchester hotels

sally maclennane

Manchester hotels

Post by sally maclennane »

We are planning a weekend in Manchester, in November. J wants to see a Stone Roses tribute band (to be fair, they are pretty good, their singer can actually sing as opposed to Ian Brown's wailing) and they are playing in a venue called The Loose Cannon, in Failsworth. This looks like it's about 15/20 minutes' drive from the city centre, so I was thinking that we would stay in the centre and just get a cab there. The gig is Friday night, but we'd stay Saturday night too and make a weekend of it. The Saturday is my dad's birthday so I would quite like to be away that weekend.

Can anyone recommend a decent city centre hotel? I quite fancy the Northern Quarter for a location. Happy to do a Premier Inn kind of thing but there are quite a few in Manchester city centre so I'm not sure which one has best location. We will take the train down so we'd be arriving into Picadilly or Oxford Rd.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Beena

Re: Manchester hotels

Post by Beena »

The Abel Heywood is in the middle of NQ, if that's what you want - https://abelheywood.co.uk/

Otherwise, look around Victoria, Ancoats, Piccadilly side of town. That's near NQ and on the right side for getting to Failsworth. There is a Crown Plaza in Shudehill, that is at the bottom end of NQ and close to the stations.

You can get a tram to Hollinwood for the Loose Cannon (on the Rochdale or Oldham lines). Change at (or catch it from) Victoria station.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Premier Inn - either Piccadilly or Central/Printworks (prob Piccadilly though). The others are on the opposite side of town and while Manchester isn't very big, it can still be a bit of a haul after a night out.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I’ve stayed at the Shudehill Crowne Plaza and The Midland. The former was a pretty standard Crowne Plaza - nice enough and we were upgraded to a suite, which was lovely. The standard, un-upgraded bedroom we got at The Midland was MASSIVE and gorgeous, as was the room friends were staying in. I would stay at either again but preferred The Midland.
Beena

Post by Beena »

We stayed at the Midland when we got married. They upgraded us to one of the corner suites and it was amazing.

The Midland is close to Oxford Road, Sal.
sally maclennane

The Midland looks gorgeous but its £250 a night! So that's a little steep :lol:

I will check out the others though, the CP came up on Expedia I think. Thanks for the tip about the tram Beena, that's useful to know.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We stayed at ABode which was lovely. No idea how much it costs though.
Beena

Post by Beena »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am The Midland looks gorgeous but its £250 a night! So that's a little steep :lol:
Really?? Wow. It's changed hands since I stayed and it looks like they've stripped all the history out (it was a little tired). We paid less than 150 for 2 nights and were upgraded.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am The Midland looks gorgeous but its £250 a night!
We definitely didn’t pay that! It was a spa deal which was way cheaper - I’m pretty sure it was nearer £65 per person. Maybe have a look at spa deals to see if they have something for your dates - they can’t force you to have a massage :))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I’ve just checked and their spa breaks are £150 per person just now, so that won’t help :lg: We must have just got a really good deal.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I was going to say the only city centre I've done was basic but very cheap and handy. Then I remembered you were there too.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The Midland is amazing. I’ve stayed at the Radisson too, which was nice.

The Ibis ones are basic, I shared with Hamm once on Deansgate, or nearby, and out near Salford Quays. So I imagine you want something in between very basic and Uber luxury? Hallmark hotels are usually very nice, I’ve stayed in the one in Liverpool, and a friend used the one in Derby.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

What about that one we stayed in last time we went down, Sal? With the doorless bathroom?
https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/united- ... /index.htm
sally maclennane

Shoe wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am What about that one we stayed in last time we went down, Sal? With the doorless bathroom?
https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/united- ... /index.htm
I was telling J about the doorless bathroom :lol: I liked the hotel (bathroom notwithstanding) but I think it's the wrong part of the city centre.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'd forgotten about that hotel, it was nice.

Don't stay in the Gardens at Piccadilly. I spent Mini's 21st there and it was horrible, it's beside a Wetherspoons which bizarrely an extremely small anti abortion demo was taking place.

https://www.gardenshotelmanchester.com/
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Failsworth. :mog: You're travelling for a night out in Failsworth. :mog:

Sorry.

If there's a really, really tall bloke there (and there probably will be), it's my ex-walking group shag. :yes:
Beena

Post by Beena »

Don't stay in an Ibis Budget! That made the Ibis seem like height of decadence.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am Failsworth. :mog: You're travelling for a night out in Failsworth. :mog:

Sorry.

If there's a really, really tall bloke there (and there probably will be), it's my ex-walking group shag. :yes:
Bat! :shh: :lol:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Never, ever stay at the Woodstock.

Anybody, ever. :lol:
sally maclennane

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am Failsworth. :mog: You're travelling for a night out in Failsworth. :mog:

Sorry.

I am an excellent GF :)) Its an excuse for a weekend in Manchester basically.

I will keep an eye out for your ex shag and tell him you said hi ;)