Holidays, trips & travel 2020

sally maclennane

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by sally maclennane »

Some fab sounding trips here.

We have rough plans to do a week in the sun at the end of April/beginning of May. It was lovely going to Croatia in September but it was such a long wait for nice weather. I am thinking about Ibiza, possibly the Canaries although the latter doesn't really appeal to me as I'm never convinced there's much to do there. Then I think we will do a city break in September, possibly Berlin or I quite fancy Stockholm.

We'll do an odd weekend or two somewhere in Scotland/the UK too.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

How about Crete or one of the other Greek island Sal? Lots to do and I think the temperatures are good in May.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Have you been to Maderia, Sal? I really liked it there and a lot to do.
Malan
sally maclennane

Those are good suggestions, thanks both!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I would love that, glint! I'm thinking of doing Scotland maybe next year or the year after when going longer distances is a bit easier.

Montenegro might be nice, Sal. Or lake Garda?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Demelza, we are thinking of an east coast Canada trip too. I'm not sure when to fit it in though. We were supposed to go last summer, but it got put off. I need to make it happen!

We will be taking a trip home this year, and will tag another trip onto that. Last time we went to Wales and LOVED it, but I want something further afield this time. Rome/Florence/Naples is a frontrunner.
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

We have a big family holiday booked for July to Orlando & New York and just me and the wife are heading to Fuerteventura at begining of March for a week. I was sat at home the 2 days ago fed up that i had been working all over Xmas and New Year and on impulse booked 3 nights in Rome for me and the wife next week :))

We also have 2 weeks the begining of May and 2 weeks end of October and want to go somewhere but haven't decided. Having watched the Sound of Music for about the 1000th time yesterday i quite fancy a few days in Salzberg as Ryanair have some cheap flights but that would be for 4 nights so may be 1 too many for Salzberg. Really can't decide.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I'd like to book another rental in the Isle of Wight for R's daughter and her family. It's been 5 years since the last and the boys can now swim, but I'm being a bit wary of suggesting a beach/water-based holiday as neither his daughter nor his SIL do swimming/water - although they live by the sea.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You have all inspired me to start thinking about our summer holiday. We’re going skiing in February (first time!) in Bulgaria and I’m dreading the travel from airport to resort. For summer, I’m thinking Lake Garda. I know several Turtles have been so can anyone suggest good family friendly locations? Thanks!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I loved Lake Garda. We had a lovely holiday there. We stayed in Pescheira (?) Del Garda, because there was a big euro camp type place there and that was the accommodation we needed. It's at the less dramatic end of the lake but it was pleasant and easy to access from the airport and when we went to Verona and Venice.

Malcesine(?) Was really lovely, my parents stayed there after we suggested it and really liked it. Limone was beautiful also, and so was Riva del garda at the top of the lake.

It really was lovely. Plenty to do and see. Nice towns, boats, walking/cycling if it's your bag, lovely scenery and food. And possible to get to Venice, milan, Verona, Bergamo if you fancy it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I loved lake Garda too. I stayed in Limone which was lovely. Easy to get a boat across to Malcesine to walk to the top or get the cable car (or you can do each part way). The only draw back is that it's shingle rather than a proper beach, but you can just get sea shoes and you'll be sorted. The lake is lovely to swim in.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I am also considering Lake Garda for our summer holiday :lol: TMT Italy meet! Crete is also on our list, as is Morocco and possibly Mexico. (We will have to pick one, rather than visit all of those, unfortunately.)

This year is hard to plan because of Dad, but I would also like to do a weekend in London, possibly one in Manchester and we've just been discussing a walking break in the Brecon Beacons with the friends who stayed this weekend. I also realised we haven't been to Devon for a few years, which is most unlike us. I might see if I can arrange a caravan weekend with the friends we used to go to Center Parcs with (before we ruined it by having a third child).
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'd love to do another US road trip, and J really wants to go to America to see some monster trucks, but I don't think he'd enjoy the long car rides.

He also really wants to go in a campervan, so we might hire one (or more likely a bigger motorhome), and do the North Coast 500 over a long weekend.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

We are just back from our first trip of 2020 and I’m dying to book again for next month, but we will need to see how Avon Barksdale settles in first and if it’s feasible to take him with us in the caravan.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That looks lovely.

I’ve scratched Cyprus off my list after recent events there.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

God, yeah. Nobody should be going there for now.
sally maclennane

Yeah, I briefly considered it but since the news, I've decided against it. Hopefully if their tourism is hit theyll think again about their attitude/legal system.

I've been looking at Ibiza for May but am a bit concerned about ending up somewhere that's got loads of young clubbers around :granny:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's by no means a dead cert, but there is talk of a trip to Kiev and Chernobyl in the Spring. Chernobyl! :weewee:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh! I'd bloody LOVE that. The photo taking opportunities!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

And this time, I'd make sure I had a memory card in my camera :lg: