Holidays, trips & travel 2020

smalex

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by smalex »

:lol: I was so disappointed for you when I saw that post
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Thank you, I kicked myself very hard for being such a spanner when I realised :doh: Was still a great trip, and completely lived up to expectation (which is rare).
smalex

Post by smalex »

I really hope to get there one day. It's not a part of the world I happen to be passing through very often from here.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 am God, yeah. Nobody should be going there for now.
:mog: I've literally just booked for 10 days in the summer. Current events have rather taken the shine off it. I will donate to her legal fund as a tax.

We're staying in an apartment in a tiny village. I wanted to go to the Paphos side but, for various reasons, I need to be within easy distance of Nicosia and I didn't want to stay in any of the resorts on the Ayia Napa side.
Montana

Post by Montana »

We are doing a Colorado road trip (camping! :bob: to keep costs down) first two weeks in July ending in a concert at Red Rocks. Haven't worked out the route yet (it will be Denver round trip) so any must sees/eat/do would be gratefully received. I do know that I really want to go to Mesa Verde National Park as that just looks fascinating. And go to at least one (or two) hot springs.

Not booked yet but will go to San Sebastian for a long weekend in April - somehow we have never been before so this is long overdue.

In May I've got an Amsterdam weekend planned with friends, and then in October another friend and I are planning a long weekend with her children around Sorrento / Amalfi cost to visit Pompeii, or possibly Herculaneum, which she has been told is just as interesting and more manageable.

Dependent on M's job situation / general finances I really want to go to Sri Lanka later in the year.

For various reasons last year was very holiday light so planning to make up for it this year!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:lol: Ruby.

Mesa Verde is really lovely. The cliff dwellings are really, really worth walking around. I would say take your own snacks and drinks for the evening if you’re staying because there’s only one restaurant, the wait for a table can be hours (because of the coach parties), and the entry road is so long and winding that it would take you about an hour each way if you wanted to try to find a restaurant elsewhere. It is such an interesting place though.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Thanks, Ella! Good advice. We will definitely take food. This is going to be as much of a cheap and cheerful holiday as a trip to the USA possibly can be and I don't want to be spending money on queued for tourist food if I can possibly help it.

I had never even heard of Mesa Verde before researching this trip! It's great to hear that it's as interesting and beautiful as it looks.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That sounds brilliant Montana. Will you take your own tent?
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm I'd love to go to Dungeness!, I almost got there during an ultimately abandoned camping trip, but not quite.

We lived in Dungeness back in the 60s when my dad was working on the power station (he was an ashphalter). I recently went back for the day and took a trip on the RH&D railway. It's pretty much the same except I couldn't afford to live there now the smart set have moved in.

We're going back to Argentina on January 24th just for two weeks. We're going to Bariloche for a couple of nights and perhaps a day trip to the Iguazu Falls. There will also be football involved.

Nothing else actually booked but probably Tenerife in June and perhaps Japan in August.
Montana

Post by Montana »

No, we are going to rent a camping kit for about $200-$300 dollars depending on what package you get. We were thinking of renting an RV but even apart from the expense* (not only on the RV rental itself and increased fuel but also the full hook-up RV campsites) there might be quite a lot of potentially scary mountain roads to drive on which seem more sensible to undertake in a car.

*Environment too, obvs, but that seems slightly silly to say when doing a road trip in the first place. :look:
Last edited by Montana on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:21 pm ... but flipping rugby dominates almost all our weekends Sept-May. :lg:

Tell me about it! :lol:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ah, makes sense! I did wonder if you could hire a tent or something. It'll make it so much more affordable (she says, weeping at the cost of hotels).
Montana

Post by Montana »

Tsu wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm We're going back to Argentina on January 24th just for two weeks. We're going to Bariloche for a couple of nights and perhaps a day trip to the Iguazu Falls. There will also be football involved.
I love Argentina! If you're going to Bariloche, you might want to see you can get over to El Bolson (in my mind it's near but that might just be relative to such a huge country). It's just a little hippy-ish town but it has some lovely walks around it, a market and (so they say) its own microclimate. (Sorry, you may already know all this, having been to Argentina before).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The roads can be really windy there so definitely take a small car :uhh:.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Oh, no, thanks Montana. All suggestions welcomed. I wanted to see a glacier and Patagonia seemed a very long way to go on such a short trip.

I'll look into El Boson.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

They wind, I mean, but also there is wind.
Montana

Post by Montana »

smalex wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:02 pm Ah, makes sense! I did wonder if you could hire a tent or something. It'll make it so much more affordable (she says, weeping at the cost of hotels).
Tell me about it! When we did our Big US Road Trip (over ten years ago now!) we camped in a suburb of DC called Greenbelt and got the trains into the city every day because the hotel prices in DC were so astronomic.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm They wind, I mean, but also there is wind.
:lol:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm We are doing a Colorado road trip (camping! :bob: to keep costs down) first two weeks in July ending in a concert at Red Rocks. Haven't worked out the route yet (it will be Denver round trip) so any must sees/eat/do would be gratefully received.
Yes, drop in and say hi to my parents!

More seriously, I’ll come back with a list of stuff, especially around Denver, it’s a great city and full of craft breweries at the moment.

One question- are you/ other half a Stephen King fan?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We're just back from 3 weeks in New Zealand over Christmas which was amazing and totally gave us the bug to do more road trips with the children as it went a lot better than I thought it would! West coast States is next on the list I think (in a couple of years though - need to save up first!).

Plan this year so far include San Francisco in May for 5 days for a wedding and Glastonbury in June - both are just us though so I need to book something for the summer - probably UK based.