Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Montana

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Montana »

Hazey_Jane wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Montana wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm We are doing a Colorado road trip (camping! :bob: to keep costs down) first two weeks in July ending in a concert at Red Rocks. Haven't worked out the route yet (it will be Denver round trip) so any must sees/eat/do would be gratefully received.
Yes, drop in and say hi to my parents!

More seriously, I’ll come back with a list of stuff, especially around Denver, it’s a great city and full of craft breweries at the moment.

One question- are you/ other half a Stephen King fan?
That would be wonderful. Thanks hazey!

I'm not the hugest fan (in the sense that I've only read a couple of his books but those I've read I've liked a lot) but, having said that, when we were in Maine I did go out of my way to go and see his house in Bangor (bat railings with a Democrat campaign poster :love: ) which for some reason was mentioned in our guidebook (it's his actual home, not open to the public or anything) - so I would probably be interested in things relating to him.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Now I'm at my laptop I can type out a proper reply for you!

The biggest/ best advice I have for you is to take the first few days slowly. Not only will you be jetlagged (duh) but being so high, you might suffer from altitude sickness, so if that's likely take a few paracetamol with you for headaches, chug back water like there's no tomorrow and yes you will feel sluggish walking around.

Colorado in general:
I asked about Stephen King (I've also seen his house in Maine, many years ago now, he's definitely Bangor's biggest tourist attraction in Bangor!) is because The Stanley Hotel served as the inspiration for The Overlook in The Shining so it's a bit of a pilgrimage if you're a fan (you have to pay some money to go inside if you're not staying there) but most likely. It's somewhere between Boulder and the Rocky Mountain NP.

RMNP is brilliant if you love wildlife, because of the cooler temperatures and lush green meadows, you're almost guaranteed to see wild moose as well as loads of elk. It's the kind of park that let's you go in one way and out another and is totally definitely worth going through and checking out the other wildlife too. Bring warm clothes (I think parts of it are over 2 miles high, so even in summer it's still cold and snow on the ground) and get food from outside the park too. You can't stay in the park and you wouldn't want to camp in the cold either!

Boulder is such a lovely city - very upscale yet liberal and alternative, on every street corner there seems to be a vegan macro restaurant. I've only really been there to hang out with my parents and my sisters so we've not really done anything very touristy but it is lovely to stop by in if it's on your way anywhere.

Golden, just 20 miles outside of Denver has the grave of Buffalo Bill as its big tourist attraction and the main town has a couple of nice streets with nice sports bars for pizza and other good stuff to eat, as well as gorgeous presenty shops. Again, not sure if it's really worth going to as a destination but it's en route and you need to stretch your legs or grab a bite to eat, you could do a lot worse than Golden . The other big selling point is the Coors factory tour which personally I wouldn't bother with.

I've also just realised that ll of those places are north/ north west of Denver so you might not be heading that way.

South of Denver about 1.5/ 2 ish hours is Castle Rock has a great outlet shopping mall (if that's your bag) with a good mix of high end and more mainstream shops and it's on the way to Colorado Springs which has the Garden of the Gods state park, which most people rave about. Again the main street in town is quite nice and servicable for food and amenities.

Denver

The street 16th Street Mall goes from the main train station up to the state Capitol (photo op next to the mile high marker) and pretty much anything you want to see, do, eat or would need to buy (get sunscreen there, much better choice) is either on it or just off it. You won't need to drive anywhere really in downtown Denver so this would be a pretty good base to acclimatise yourself for a few days. If you're there in the week, the Civic Center park area will probably have loads of food trucks there for nearby office workers.

This article from the Grauniad (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017 ... and-hotels) covers all the major bases and I can't fault any of its recommendations- the breakfast burrito I had at Illegal Pete's in 2014 is still something I think of often. I also loved the Denver Art Museum, the modern section in particular was brilliant. The Mint was kind of fun too, if only because it was free and I was poor. There's also a Cheesecake Factory downtown, which everyone seems to love.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think I’ve convinced my parents to have the kids at half term so C and I can go away together. He fancies London.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Hazey, that is amazing. Thank you so much!

I think we will be attempting a National Park loop starting with RMNP so that advice is spot on. It sounds beautiful - how I imagine moutainous Colorado to be - and can't wait to see moose! Good to know about the climate change at altitude.

I have heard good things about Boulder so will definitely make a stop there, and I'll keep The Shining hotel in mind along the way. I think we will probably find ourselves in Golden at some point as it is quite near to Red Rocks, I think, so good to know what there is to do there.

I'm not sure we'll have time for shopping so will probably skip Castle Rock but would like to see Garden of the Gods if possible.

We'll be spending three nights in Denver (not in a tent) at the end of the trip and will try to make it as close to downtown as possible. And my first visit to a Cheesecake Factory is WELL overdue so thanks for reminding me of that - and that Guardian article is great.

Thanks again, Hazey - so helpful and making me really impatient and excited about it all.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Cheesecake Factory is definitely on my list too. My first trip didn't disappoint.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

We think we have a date for Palm Springs in March, 4-day weekend :)) Also we might be able to get a friend’s cousin’s new Airbnb place to stay in that is reportedly lovely but I haven’t seen it yet.

I am very impressed with Tata’s high camping trip! :)) I’d never attempt such a thing :lol: Although I do want to visit the NPs in that part of the States, and have never been to Colorado.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Colorado looked so pretty in Unbelievable. I’m so jealous you’re going to Golden, Montana - the police station in the show (have you seen it? You must!) had the best views. Gorgeous landscapes and trees.

I’ve never been to a Cheesecake Factory! Their menu is too long :ttth:

I have no firm travel plans :cry: :othertediouspriorities: S found an amazing looking Airbnb in Deià, Mallorca so that’s a possibility for the summer but really I’d love to go back to the States. Prob Maine :love:
Last edited by emma_p on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I found the Cheesecake Factory we went to in Boston underwhelming.

I've just booked a four night trip to Chicago at the end of March. It's a surprise for E and includes tickets to see the Chicago Bulls play the NY Nicks which he will love. We are also planning Greece in the summer but need to time that around building work in the house.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I have horrible memories of the Cheesecake Factory as it was always a place we had to go to on work trips because all the blokes loved it.

My only trip so far is Vegas in March for the annual conference. I'm so over it. We're flying in to San Diego for a few days before though.

My DC trip for this month has been cancelled but we potentially have a lot of work over there this year so hopefully I'll get there soon.
Glint

Post by Glint »

All I can remember about the Cheesecake Factory was its ridiculous portion size.

We're trying to decide between Mallorca or a Canary Isle for Easter holidays.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I was dragged to the cheesecake factory a couple of years ago by a colleague who had fond childhood memories of it. My abiding memories are a ridiculously long wait for a table, an unfeasibly long menu, and a huge portion of tasteless food. Won't be hurrying back!
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

You’re welcome Montana, I’m so chuffed to see you excited! (Especially about the moose, they are so weird to see, they look gangly and awkward but are quite graceful in real life)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The travel consultant we use has sent us specs for hotels in Mallorca/Menorca, but I’m a bit unmoved.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Oh I meant to add my cheesecake opinion- that lovely dark rich bread you get when you sit down... mmmmm...
Glint

Post by Glint »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:36 pm The travel consultant we use has sent us specs for hotels in Mallorca/Menorca, but I’m a bit unmoved.
We’ve just spent about an hour looking at hotels, and are similarly meh about them, so we might not go anywhere.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I really liked my cheesecake factory experience (in the Caesar's shopping mall, Las Vegas). I'm hoping for a wide range of cheesecake options in NY, mind you.

Any reason why you feel uninspired Pipples? The hotels themselves or resorts?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm not much of a cheesecake fan, but even the sugar free stuff at this place in Brooklyn? Oh. My. God.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Bit of both. One is Mar hotels Playa Mar & Spa in Puerto Pollença, and the other is the same chain, Paradise hotel & spa in Cala’n Bosch.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:02 pm I'm not much of a cheesecake fan, but even the sugar free stuff at this place in Brooklyn? Oh. My. God.
I went there in 1989, I don't have a sweet tooth and don't care about cheesecake, and I still daydream about it sometimes, 31 years later. :lol:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
smalex

Post by smalex »

I flipping adore Cheesecake. That place is going on the list.