Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Shoe

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Shoe »

She's a wee weirdo and doesn't like kids club stuff unless someone goes along with her. Although, I did see they do bonfire nights which looked quite cool so I may give in and chaperone her to one of them. :mrgreen:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Is anybody else worried that all this Coronavirus stuff is going to ruin their holiday plans? Also, unless I’ve misunderstood what I heard on the radio, if we had to cancel, I don’t think travel insurance would pay out. Does anybody know?
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

IME, it is not paying out except for the FCO clause - some insurance will offer cover if the government warn against all travel to a country that you are due to visit within x amount of days (7 usually).

If your flights are cancelled (loads of airlines are reducing their schedules) then you should get a full refund from them.

Are you worried about your US trip?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

The Guardian had an article at the weekend about it, I think it said that if the Foreign Office advised against travelling somewhere, your insurance would cover it. That's only China at the moment I think.

I am more worried about going somewhere and it ends up in lockdown, I would go postal stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

God me too, those poor people on that cruise ship, I'd have lost the plot.

Our plans are US based so at the moment that seems fine, but obviously a (not quite) pandemic can change a lot in the 6 months before we go.
Its pretty anxiety raising in general though...
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed, sally! Especially being stuck in one room with another person :uhh:.

I am, Dande. I am a bit of a worrier, but it’s only a few weeks off now. I get that if I decide not to go, that’s on me, but surely if we’re advised not to travel, that’s not on me?
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 am God me too, those poor people on that cruise ship, I'd have lost the plot.
My friend's dad once described cruises as "an expensive way to get norovirus" but this brings it to a whole new level!
smalex

Post by smalex »

:lol:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 am
smalex wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 am God me too, those poor people on that cruise ship, I'd have lost the plot.
My friend's dad once described cruises as "an expensive way to get norovirus" but this brings it to a whole new level!
That’s EXACTLY how I feel about cruises. My friend had to sit on the plan for an hour after landing from LA this week because seven people who’d been on a cruise had been ill at the back of the plane and all passengers had to sign some kind of waiver.
sally maclennane

Prison with the option of drowning, as Billy Connolly said :yes:
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

If the government advise against travel to the US then your insurance may cover you (maybe double check!) But I reckon you’re as safe in the US as you will be in the UK.

They are generally excluding pandemics / epidemics if it disrupts travel plans but I would assume they would cover you if you did fall ill (again - check?)

I am travelling to Bali in two weeks via Singapore and should probably be more concerned than I am. It’s just a cold for most people. It’s the quarantine things which worries me - it’s not very practical with two small children at home. My trip is only four days long so I am questioning whether it is worth it; but it’s all been paid for by work so I don’t feel like I can pull out now. And I do want to go. ☀️
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

We've just booked a trip to Scandinavia in June. Flying Exeter to Amsterdam for two nights then Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Malmö, Oslo, Bolo, Bergen then home. I think I might need a holiday to get over it!
It will be my first trip to Scandinavia.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:03 am Prison with the option of drowning, as Billy Connolly said :yes:
:lol: God, imagine being stuck in a cabin with no windows, to boot.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

My brother is (meant to be) off to Lanzarote in a couple of weeks, staying in the hotel right beside the one that was just quarantined. My boss is also stressing about a trip to Milan in a month or so.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

We are going to Chicago next month and I'm starting to worry too.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

We haven't booked any holidays yet, but I am have slight second thoughts about going away this year. Not just this, but also because of the recent mumps outbreak in students. Conchie won't have had his mmr yet.
Little My

Post by Little My »

We are holding off on booking anything for the next month or so. Our plans were UK and Italy.

Still doing US travel. It's really only the airports/planes that give me pause.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thai Airways have been cancelling flights to various places and the list is getting longer every day. However they don't seem to be offering refunds, just offering free flight rescheduling within a certain time period. Our flights to Vietnam have not been cancelled yet, we've already decided not to go but even so, a free reschedule between now and June or whenever is no good for us as I can't rebook my holiday at work for then.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Gah, rescheduling must suit almost nobody! WTF?
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I know. I guess they were losing so much money as initially they were offering full refunds on flights to China that they've realised they could go bust if they offer it to everywhere else!