Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Derek Nimmo

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Or do you mean from a covid perspective?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Ruby wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 pm I am debating booking a hotel somewhere in the UK for a couple of nights next week. Just to get me and the chaps OUT. Have I gone mad?
I want to do this. Fancy meeting us in Aberystwyth?
absley

Post by absley »

I've just booked a trip to the UK in a couple of weeks and definitely feel slightly mad. It's partly to sort out some personal and work admin but mostly so I can see my parents. I don't want to fly but think this might be as good a window as any and really don't want to delay as my Dad's dementia is worsening.

It's been interesting seeing how low the availability of places to stay is - not sure if it's because they're full, running at such reduced capacities or just not taking bookings.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't think it's mad at all, any of it. If you feel like you need /want to get out at some point over the next few months, now is the time to do it. Particularly in your case abs - I hope your dad is ok and you get to see him fairly lucid.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 pm Or do you mean from a covid perspective?
Yes. :)) I mean I have definitely gone mad from a parenting perspective but I don't care - they need a change of scene even if they hate me.
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:22 pm I want to do this. Fancy meeting us in Aberystwyth?
I was thinking Northumberland. :puzz: Or maybe North Wales. I was originally thinking Glasgow but all the museums and galleries are still shut. I want somewhere with some drama - like cliffs or public art or castles or something - but also cheap clean hotels. :))
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I think I've gone mad too. It's become even more clear that we can't have any kind of a holiday at home or "staycation" /spit/ due to running our own business, so I spent 30 minutes last night looking at holidays in Morocco.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Well, I've just taken a deep breath and booked a weekend in glamorous Winchester with three friends for Sept (Airbnb, but we'll each have our own bathrooms) so that's far more mad if that helps to reassure you :)

(Seriously though, if you drive there, and get a place with clear rules and a cleanliness level you're happy with, I can't see much difference for a family / couples holiday in terms of risk between that and staying at home with the odd foray outside. Even less if you go somewhere that's less populated.)
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Ooh yes, Ruby. Go to Kielder Water and/or Hadrian's Wall. I'm really keen to go up there at some point soon.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oi, Winchester is very glamorous. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:56 pm Well, I've just taken a deep breath and booked a weekend in glamorous Winchester with three friends for Sept (Airbnb, but we'll each have our own bathrooms) so that's far more mad if that helps to reassure you :)
How strange! I've just booked an Airbnb in Winchester for a weekend with a friend in October! Clearly it's the new must-do holiday destination. :toot:

ETA: poor Ken's hometown is going to be inundated. :mischief:
Montana

Post by Montana »

M has said he wants to go away but we're (very understandably) not allowed in all the countries he really wants to go to. Personally I think it's the year for the UK road trip we've never got round to but he is hankering after Abroad so I would consider a France/Spain camper van trip. To be honest, I've become such a hermit that I would happily stay at home.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Coming over here, bringing your germs. :verm:

If anyone wants any food/drink/sightseeing recommendations let me know! Or to arrange to wave at me from two metres away. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

We've booked to drive down with my Mum to my parents' place in Provence for 2 weeks mid August, via the tunnel. One hotel stay down and back. About as safe as we could do it really.

It's going to be weird and a bit of a pilgrimage as much as a holiday because of my Dad and the fact the place will have to be sold, although mum doesn't want to think about doing it this year. She was desperate to go and we booked as soon as the quarantine requirements were lifted (actually before, on the Monday the govt was meant to announce things then they piddled about for another week :ella: )

BUT. Own pool. Heat. Different 4 walls. :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

That sounds really lovely, Rebs, although as you say, not as normal for more than covid reasons.

I am away now! Not camping as I did something to my back and it's was really bad. We got a full refund though which was very good of the owners, and we will probably go there at some point, due to how good they were.

We are in a "covid secure" guest house on the coast and it's lovely, and so so lovely to be away. The town looks busy but actually the pubs and places to eat are very very quiet.
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That sounds fab, Marth. I'm glad the camping place was good about the refund.
Luce

Post by Luce »

We did a camping holiday over the weekend, with friends, and it was brilliant. It was a small site so it didn't feel overwhelmed with people and very easy to socially distance when you live outside. You had to sanitise hands before using anything (ie the toilets/shower) etc and only one family was allowed in at any one time. They were meticulously cleaned and bleached constantly too so the risk felt quite low.

The kids swam in the sea :love:
Luce

Post by Luce »

We did a camping holiday over the weekend, with friends, and it was brilliant. It was a small site so it didn't feel overwhelmed with people and very easy to socially distance when you live outside. You had to sanitise hands before using anything (ie the toilets/shower) etc and only one family was allowed in at any one time. They were meticulously cleaned and bleached constantly too so the risk felt quite low.

The kids swam in the sea :love:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

In the North Sea? They are nails!!

We are going to Whitstable next week after we finally found an Airbnb with availability. We actually stayed there for a week when we lived in the States do we know the house. It was still saved in my Ocado addresses when I went to order some groceries for the week :mog:
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh, convenient! Yep, not even just paddling, actual full on swimming. I, obviously, did not.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Your boys are nails!

I’m so pleased for those of you that are getting away, even if it’s just a different and more inconvenient set of four walls.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.