Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Ella77

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Ella77 »

This is what gets me. They’re putting flight attendants, airport staff and who knows who else at risk by doing this. I’d love to feel as free as these people feel, but they’re the ones spreading the virus.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I wish I felt comfortable enough for a foreign break. We’ve booked a long weekend in Bournemouth that can be cancelled up to a week before.

I’d like to fly back home to Jersey to see my family, but they had two confirmed cases (from travellers from the UK) on the day they opened their borders, with all the travellers near to the cases having to go into instant quarantine. I’m hopeful that maybe in October half term we can go over, but that rather depends on when wave 2 hits :look:.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

We’re going to Poole at the start of August because it’s only a 1.5 hr drive and a change of scenery.

Embrace the camping, Luce! The boys will love it. Take a hat. And wine.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We also should have been camping for the first time at a festival this year. :lg: I can’t convince C to even look at somewhere in the UK right now, so I think we’ve left it too late/have our leave too early.
Luce

Post by Luce »

It's good for the UK that we're all trying to have a holiday of sorts at home, I suppose.

I used to quite like camping before the kids. But I've always had an electrical hook up, before so this will be an interesting experiment! I'm trying hard not to compare it to the daily massages I was planning on Mexico :lg:
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I hope you have fun, Luce!

I'm not sure if we'll get away this year, but if we do it'll definitely be somewhere drivable. It'd be so nice to have a change of scenery, even just for a couple of days.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Luce wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:34 pm It's good for the UK that we're all trying to have a holiday of sorts at home, I suppose.
I'm trying to think this way; it's a chance for us all to experience places we wouldn't normally go and will really boost the UK economy. Also, camping is best when the children are younger and I reckon you'll really enjoy it although I would baulk initially too!

My big family holiday to Crete has been cancelled and we are going to Cornwall instead. I was due to have a yoga retreat in Rome in September and I've literally just been told it's been postponed until next year. If the worst thing that happens to me as a result of COVID is that I don't have a holiday abroad, I've got off lightly, but I am worried about my September flight as I doubt Easyjet will let me change/refund it.

On the plus side I have a standing invitation to Dubai whenever I can get out there so all I need to pay for is a flight. Maybe November or January - winter sun did me so much good when I went out after my redundancy.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm My friend has booked to go to Tenerife at the weekend. I can’t decide if I’m horrified or insanely envious.
We are still, technically, going to Cyprus in less than a month. We booked it in January and it's still on, although the flights have been moved and we lose a day. We are also insured because we booked it before Covid.

Cyprus are meant to be lifting restrictions on 15th July and if they do then we will go. :shrug: Unless it's cancelled then we can't claim the money back. I just plan to be as hygienic as possible on the plane as I think that's the biggest risk. :uhh:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think you’re right, the plane is the biggest risk.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 pm

For me? Probably East Neuk of Fife, or maybe Northumberland. I basically want to be somewhere that I can drive home from, if there's a lockdown :cheery:

We are lucky in that we're not tied to school holidays so I'm thinking late September when we'll know more about how safe it will be, I hope.
We've re-booked for the end of Sept for Lincolnshire and if lockdown happens again while we are there, we'll stay until our week is over :barnardcastle: it's more isolated than home and we'll be completely self sufficient and only out on bikes.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We've booked a Mon- Fri stay in Devon in September, I said that even if we go and find a supermarket just a change of scenery will be enough. I'd love to jump on a plane somewhere but J doesn't feel he can do it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m desperate fur a change of scene, but C abs my dad both rightly point out out it’s much less comfortable than being at home. So I guess I’m persuaded.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

I get what they’re saying Pip but I really want to go away too. I’m desperate to go to Cornwall to see my family but I looked at holidays lets today and they are so expensive and there isn’t much left. I really hope things change so we can go and stay with my parents like we usually do.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I was speaking to someone who runs a holiday cottage in a nearby town here, and they said that they'd missed out on May business, but since then are solidly booked until October, with a lot of British customers (possibly more because they're British owners, rather than Brits being the main clients for holiday lets here). I suppose quite a lot of people will be driving over, so the only added risk is enlarging the group of people who could be contaminated in shops & restaurants etc.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Everyone I know who is going abroad is driving to France (and one to Italy).
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My friend was planning that when I last spoke to her.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We have booked a week in Lyme Regis in August when we were supposed to be in Mallorca. I tried to book a fossil walk, and they were all booked up - I think it's going to be pretty busy there!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I am debating booking a hotel somewhere in the UK for a couple of nights next week. Just to get me and the chaps OUT. Have I gone mad?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Why's that mad? A change is as good as a rest etc. Or do you reckon they will be teenagery and not want to leave the room? Hey, more time for you to go and have some time to yourself if they do!
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I totally would, Ruby. I would just probably choose somewhere not so popular to avoid crowds or idiots. But a walk anywhere that's not home would be good.