Holidays, trips & travel 2020

smalex

Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by smalex »

Tell me what you've got booked and what you're planning?

We've got a few days in Edinburgh in May, and a week in Cornwall for October half term (my sister and family are staying in her in laws holiday cottage, the 3 of us and my parents have the cottage next door).

Summer plans are a trip to NYC, DC, Virginia and Long island. Haven't booked it yet but that's the plan. I'm a bit worried I'll have no income by the summer, but we've got the money to pay for it and you only live once, right?
Texaco Shirley

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Texaco Shirley »

This is entirely the right attitude smal.

We are planning a trip to Abu Dhabi in Feb half term due to MrTex working a few weeks there.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Other than trips to see family (really not holidays), I'm going to Rye and Dungeness this weekend - exotic I know 😄 - and Porto in February, but nothing else booked so far.

I have a hankering to take the train from Oslo to Bergen at some point (maybe Spring) but haven't thought any further than that so will be watching the thread with interest.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We're spending the weekend in london at the end of February, we have a week in Devon in May and we're doing to Norwegian Fjord cruise in September. I'm half really excited for the cruise and petrified I'm going to suffer sea sickness.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I'm going skiing on Saturday for a walk in the Dolomites and can't wait. Have also booked 2 weeks in Canada for late June. Flying into Calgary and then heading through Banff to Vancouver and Vancouver island. I suspect I will also have to do a duty visit home at some point but will hopefully have the chance to go somewhere nice rather than a small town outside Joburg.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'd love to go to Dungeness!, I almost got there during an ultimately abandoned camping trip, but not quite.

The fjords look amazing. My mum is very sensitive to balance issues and shes been on loads of cruises and enjoyed them, so I'm sure you'll be fine skips.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I shall bore everyone with pictures I'm sure Smal :))

Your Canadian trip sounds amazing Cos! I'm well jel, Vancouver is definitely on my bucket list.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:11 pmHave also booked 2 weeks in Canada for late June. Flying into Calgary and then heading through Banff to Vancouver and Vancouver island. I suspect I will also have to do a duty visit home at some point but will hopefully have the chance to go somewhere nice rather than a small town outside Joburg.
This was pretty much our honeymoon trip. It was amazing.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'll look forward to it!

Good plans Cos. The Dolomites are on my list (not for skiing mind you!).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Your East Coast trip sounds excellent, smal, as does your Canada one, Cos.

We’re thinking of taking a trip to LA and Palm Springs in late February or maybe March for some post-winter sunshine, but the dates are moveable. (Like smal, I’m wary of spending any money at all these days, but it’s no way to live.) This is a trip I was supposed to take on my own in 2018 but I was very ill and had to cancel the day before, so I’d like to make it there this time!

In summer we’re going to Tuscany for a few days for a family wedding. They’ve hired a massive, beautiful-looking house so all we have to do is get ourselves there. It’s going to be bitchingly hot, but what a nice problem to have.

I’d also like to get to New York in the autumn of possible, or maybe South Africa again in December. I suspect most of us are waiting to see which way the wind blows first.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I like the sound of the cruise and Del's train trip.

I think just go for it, Smal. I will have no income for a bit soon but I'm still trying to persuade P to go for some winter sun next month.

Otherwise, I'd like to do a couple of UK trips to somewhere seasidey in the summer. I'm not sure where, and am a bit tempted to try somewhere new, so maybe Kent or North Wales. Any recommendations around there from anyone?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Angus

Post by Angus »

We did Rye and Dungeness when we stayed at Camber Sands. I loved them both. Get the train!

Canada, the East Coast and Fjords all sound fabulous. That's really good to know about sea sickness as that's always put me off.

I really fancy a fortnight in Cornwall this year. Possibly Portugal at Easter or the May half term and I'm also looking at Lapland in December. I haven't actually booked anything so it could all change.
smalex

Post by smalex »

We put it off last year already, so I'm 95% sure we're going for it. Life is too short.

I hope you get to LA this time Ella, what will you do there? And Tuscany, how lovely.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We are surprisingly organised this year - heading to Barcelona in May, then Majorca for ten days in August. We also have weekends in Glasgow and Dublin planned. That's it I think.

Definitely do all the trips. What will you look back on on your deathbeds etc... (cheery :lol: )
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’m off to DC next week, and am about to book a Center parcs weekend in May. Other than that it’s all a bit up in the air because of Brexit and Mr C’s busy schedule but hopefully we’ll get something booked for early September.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

So many lovely travel plans for the year!

2020 is all about camping again for us. We have a few days booked this month at a lake near Noosa and Easter is booked for the Sunshine Coast hinterland. I’m trying to fix up a beach weekend for Feb too.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I am off to Budapest later this month and looking forward to that. My first solo trip for years and it is with a pal I did a driving holiday in Ireland and I love travelling with her.

We always go to Wales in April and we will probably go to Menorca again in the summer.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:20 pm Good plans Cos. The Dolomites are on my list (not for skiing mind you!).
They look glorious in the summer as well apparently and I'm keen to try that one year.

I'd also really like to go to Poland this year as well.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

smalex wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:32 pm We put it off last year already, so I'm 95% sure we're going for it. Life is too short.
Do it!
I hope you get to LA this time Ella, what will you do there?
Thank you. I’ve gone from being completely uninterested in LA in the past to *really* wanting to go and have a bimble around. I’m not even sure what or where, but I did a lot of research last time and I still have all the details from my lengthy travel insurance claim :lol:. Some hiking in the hills maybe.

In Palm Springs I want to go to Joshua Tree National Park most of all, but also on the aerial tramway and all that, plus a look at all the mad mid-century architecture. And just see some sunshine!
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I’m really hoping to go to Cancun for ten nights in May. We went to Mexico (Riviera Maya) for our honeymoon and always wanted to return for our tenth wedding anniversary. I’ve done a fair amount of research and it looks fairly doable with the kids (and this will be the only time we can travel long haul outside of school holidays as V starts school this year :cry: ).

Aside from that, a trip home in the summer and Center Parcs maybe?