Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Ella77

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Ella77 »

I’m sorry about your trip. That really sucks.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

It's a shame, and I think we're probably being over-paranoid, but I can't risk M picking up something with his propensity for pneumonia and proper man-flu. And it's not like we haven't just been to Bali for a month. :look: :spoilt:

I hope your trip and everyone else's all go ahead with no issues.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m so sorry about your trip kiwi. Hopefully this will all be over soon. :fc:
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, Kiwi. I'm worried about our trip from the US to London/Edinburgh, mostly because my BIL will be coming from Italy to see us. :uhh:
Faddy

Post by Faddy »

Sorry about your trip. I'm hoping they manage to contain this virus soon.

I've booked a holiday to the Black Sea in Bulgaria. I've never been there before. Anyone know anything about Bulgaria?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Faddy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 pm Sorry about your trip. I'm hoping they manage to contain this virus soon.

I've booked a holiday to the Black Sea in Bulgaria. I've never been there before. Anyone know anything about Bulgaria?
It’s quite cheap and you can buy things like this there:
Faddy

Post by Faddy »

That's it, I am cancelling 😂
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I know this is so trivial, but we’re meant to be going to the States in just over two weeks, and while I’m personally not too worried about the virus, the disease is in LA (and they’re not containing it at all). My biggest worry is if we go, will we be prevented from coming back? I’m really worried about my cats. (They will have a sitter, but I can’t assume the sitter would be happy to carry on indefinitely, and also the cats would find it horribly stressful.)

If we cancel right now we won’t be able to get any money back.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

My sister and bil are going to Seattle on march 29. They are also worried.
If there's a chance you won't get your money back then you don't have to make a decision yet and can leave it right up to the last minute to decide whether or not to go.
It's difficult. I think my sister is still working on the assumption that they're going and unless the government advises them not to go, the trip is on.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

As far as I know, the only people who have been required to actually quarantine are the plane loads brought back from China by the government. I would say at worst you might have to self quarantine Ella, which means you would be with your cats. It’s obviously impossible to predict though.

Bali next week has been cancelled. It isn’t the right time to being together 200 people from across the globe in Asia! Disappointing but we have been promised it will be rescheduled for later in the year.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That's a good point. I'm sorry about your trip, I know you were looking forward to it.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

That's a shame Dande but probably wise. God knows I love Bali and the Balinese, but considering we always factor in a bout of food poisoning on our trips due to dodgy hygiene I doubt very much they will be on top of Coronovirus. Plus they are very good at denying that these things affect them.

We managed to reschedule our Vietnam trip in the end (although we've decided to stay in Thailand), we should have had to pay a fee but I found an internal document on Thai Airways website which was posted in error offering free rescheduling. Which makes me think that other people should be entitled but they are keeping it quiet.

I'd be worried about the cats too Ella. Have you got a sympathetic doctor who might sign one of you off as not fit to travel for some reason before you go, so you could claim on insurance? As a last resort.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ooh, nice one, I’m glad you found that!

The last time I tried to go on this trip I had a genuine medical emergency and had to cancel, and it took SO much effort to try to get my claim accepted that there’s no way I’d risk that this time.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

We are going to the US on the 26th. My sister is worried but I'm being a bit head in the sand about it and unless the airline cancel our flights we are still going. I'm sure it will be fine.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

If you don’t get your money back I’d hold out, Ella and as Dande says you’d be required to self isolate anyway. I’m sorry Bali was cancelled for you too, Dandelion.

We’re heading to Mexico on Monday and I’m ever so slightly nervous about being allowed back in the country on our return.
I know other Brits who haven’t had any issues coming back to the US from the UK so we’re planning on still going ahead.

Heading to Mexico feels safer to me than heading to Disney for example.
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

Shoe wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am My brother is (meant to be) off to Lanzarote in a couple of weeks, staying in the hotel right beside the one that was just quarantined. My boss is also stressing about a trip to Milan in a month or so.

Shoe don't worry about it, the hotel wasn't in Lanza, it was in Tenerife so it will be fine. We got back from Fuerteventura just across from Lanza yesterday and my workmate has been in Playa Blanca Lanza for the past week and no signs of any virus. Speaking to people in Fuerteventura last week they seem to think that the heat in the Canaries (and it was hot last week :mrgreen: ) will halt the spread of the virus anyway. Whether that is true i have no idea.

We have a massive holiday booked for the states in July/August and the only way we're not going is if we're told we can't go. Our daughter on the other hand is in limbo, she is due to go to Japan in 3 weeks and can't cancel until the Foreign office restrict travel which they haven't done yet.
Last edited by Gizmo2000 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

WRT the heat neutralising or slowing down the virus, there have been quite a lot of reported cases in the UAE and other hot countries so I’m taking that sort of thing with a pinch of salt.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Heat usually speeds up reactions, doesn’t it?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I understood the warm weather thing to just be about the pressure on health services (always more pressure on them in the winter, so less able to cope)
Last edited by Marth on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malan
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

There's a persistent rumour on African Twitter that Africa is either too hot for the virus or that black people are naturally immune. :look: I do not think that is the case though.