Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Ella77

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Ella77 »

Ebola certainly never took hold in hot places, so sounds like science to me.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

At the same time, there are lots of other Africans panicking because there are millions of immune-compromised people because of HIV and malaria. So we really have to hope that it doesn't take a hold in sub-saharan Africa because it could be catastrophic.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I think there’s definitely a bit of uncertainty about the climate seasonality of the virus. It might be less about when things are ‘killed off’ than conditions being less conducive to effective transmission of infection. Colder weather tends to have people inside, breathing the same air, less ventilation etc. which might increase risk. But the fact that flu (as a comparator virus) has poorly understood (though well documented) seasonality in certain climates means that it is something people are watching very closely with covid e.g. will cases in the Southern Hemisphere start to ramp up as their seasons cool? Will covid respond to humid climates as effectively as temperate/drier ones?

The point about immunocompromised people in Africa is a good one. Who knows? As is the idea that there could be delayed or misdiagnosis or covid19 as it could present similarly to malaria, for which there is still a lot of presumptive (rather than diagnosed) treatment. The capacity to test/treat for all of these things in the most highly endemic and least well-resourced African states is the problem (well, one of them).

Sorry, I am rampaging about the board spouting public health shizzle everywhere like an unchecked virus :frolic: :look:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ok, so Trump’s travel ban now extends to cover the UK from midnight on Monday (EST). Selfishly I hope that means some of us can get refunds now. Less selfishly, I’m worried whole airlines may go bust.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Same here. Does it mean airlines have to cancel flights and refund?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’m waiting for a statement from Virgin (not just for me) as I imagine they are shitting themselves a bit. I think they will encourage customers to rebook rather than lose the money, but I kind of want my money back now (although really what for when the world is on fire?)
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I've got flights booked to the US with BA and they're offering vouchers as well as the option to rebook at no cost. It's usually £250 per flight. I'd rather the money back too though.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think legally they will have to give us the money back, right? Or what about a Section 75 credit card claim? Vouchers are no good.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I'm not sure. These flights were booked on my company credit card and I also have business insurance so that might help too. I've been waiting to see if the UK was going to be added to the flight restrictions before I did too much investigating.

I've got internal flights booked with Delta too which I need to look into.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think I have 3 possible ways of claiming, the last resort being travel insurance (because the claims process is so onerous). Re your Delta flights, I’ve found that the internal ones are usually refundable, even when I don’t think they are, so maybe yours are too.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

The onerous thing is why I haven't spent too much time looking into my options. It seemed pointless to do so if things were going to change by the UK being added to the restricted list. I hate any kind of travel organising and looking at refunds/rebooking/vouchers, etc. is the worst part of it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

There’s this page on MSE that they seem to be updating regularly, but it’s too early to cover flight refunds now.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ur-rights/
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

We've just lost my birthday trip to Poland. I am bloody gutted. Should have flown on Monday and they are closing their borders tonight. I hope I survive the pandemic so I can still get to see Poland!
Heartsick.blog
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 pm I’m waiting for a statement from Virgin (not just for me) as I imagine they are shitting themselves a bit. I think they will encourage customers to rebook rather than lose the money, but I kind of want my money back now (although really what for when the world is on fire?)
If they answer their phones to their customers! My parents are currently in Washington having flown in and due to fly back with Virgin and they have not been able to get in contact with Virgin since yesterday.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It's looking almost certain that mine will be cancelled, but annoyingly, the way they're doing the updates, I don't know until three days before. I'd like to book an alternative in the UK but this doesn't really leave me with much possibility of doing that. Obviously not the end of the world, but I was really looking forward to it especially after I missed out on my holiday last year.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is annoying Ken.

The ski resort is now closed so hopefully we’ll get a refund at least.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I haven't been able to get hold of p&o and they say if you're travelling within 14 days to fill in the contact us form on customer services and they will get back to you as I think they are overwhelmed.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My holiday has been cancelled. I'm really relieved. But also generally a bit gutted.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I’m sorry Ken. It’s all so disappointing isn’t it. :cry:

I have feelings of doom about our holidays in may & June as I doubt it’ll be sorted by then, and obviously we’d been really looking forward to a break and some sunshine. :(
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

Princess Morripov wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm I’m sorry Ken. It’s all so disappointing isn’t it. :cry:

I have feelings of doom about our holidays in may & June as I doubt it’ll be sorted by then, and obviously we’d been really looking forward to a break and some sunshine. :(
Me too although our big American trip isn't until July/August so there is hope. Me and my wife are taking our son, his wife, 2 grandaughters and our daughter to Florida for 16 days then to New York for a couple of days. We fly out on the 20th July so we have time on our hands.

However, we have tickets to the Ideal Home exhibition on the 27th March which will probbaly be cancelled, on the 28th April we have a day trip to Ireland booked. I haven't been to Ireland since my mum died so it was a trip to visit her grave and a a few hours in Cork but i would say that will probably get cancelled. I have surprise tickets to the Book or Mormon for me and my wife on the 1st May and then on the 3rd May i have tickets to the Tutankhamun exhibition and i fear for both of them. Finally on the 4th May we have a mid week break in North Wales booked and again not sure whether that will go ahead.

However, it's surprising how a bit of sunshine and a bit of warmth can help as it is a lovely day in London today and i actually feel a little better and a little more positive despite the chaos around me.