Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Princess Morripov

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Princess Morripov »

It has been lovely today. Tupac and his chum having been playing football in the garden and I’ve had the patio doors open all afternoon, it does lift the spirits slightly.

The hotel we are staying at in May has put this statement out, I mean I know everything will/won’t have changed by May, so I’m not really thinking about our [inevitably cancelled] stay but I assume they aren’t checking in new guests? Or is this a way to stay “open” and not lose money but everyone have a deeply shit unenjoyable holiday?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Is that not for people who are currently guests but can't get home? My aunt and uncle are stuck in Gran Canaria at the moment, and are alternating between the airport trying to get on a flight and their hotel room.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I don’t know really, they’ve just put that statement out so I was just second guessing really, as it’s not really clear as to whether they are still checking guests in or not, I would have thought no though because otherwise it’d be a bit crap :lol:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

If I’m understanding their Twitter feed correctly, Virgin will not be cancelling most of their flights to the US despite the travel ban, meaning that passengers will not be entitled to a refund, only the option to re-book for later in the year. Lots and lots of commenters are saying that the re-booked flights are much more expensive (saw that one coming), and many travel insurance companies are trying to get out of allowing people to claim at all for this.

I’m sure they’re not the only airline doing this.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Duinrell's current stance is "you can still come and stay in the caravans even though the water park, the theme park and even the playgrounds are closed... Oh and the local town is in lockdown". :ella:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Honestly, for shame.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Given that a holiday is non-essential travel I should think any company not offering free rebooking as a minimum will be on thin ice.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed, but you have to pay the difference in price when it comes to flights, and they can make that whatever they like, so by re-booking you often have to put yet more money at risk.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I have booked the most expensive hotel rooms in the world in April to take my mum to see Andre Rien. (For the very love of God). I was dreading it anyway, but it looks like it will be cancelled, but the rooms were not part of a package and I imagine that they will not offer a refund/rebook on them. :cry:
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Did you pay on a credit card?
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 am Did you pay on a credit card?
I only have debit cards. I might have even paid via Paypal. I'll need to check.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

All holidays cancelled for us, the remaining ones we had booked fall within the 12weeks isolation. One I think we'll lose as it was less than £100 and was booked non refundable/ non cancellation. The second we are being offered to move, which is fine with me.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've some sympathy with the owners of businesses, especially small places, right now. It must be horrific. They must be absolutely desperate and not getting it right in terms of knowing what to do, how to deal with coming bookings and how to stay in business. Which isn't to say I don't feel really sorry for anyone who isn't going to end up going all or part of their money back (I'm highly likely to fall into this category in a month or so myself), or that I don't think and hope they need to change their policies- so I hope this comes across in the way I intend it.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

We really need a government response like the French one - that businesses will be supported.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yes. That would solve all of this. All these restaurants and pubs trying to stay open would be able to close.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:34 am If I’m understanding their Twitter feed correctly, Virgin will not be cancelling most of their flights to the US despite the travel ban, meaning that passengers will not be entitled to a refund, only the option to re-book for later in the year. Lots and lots of commenters are saying that the re-booked flights are much more expensive (saw that one coming), and many travel insurance companies are trying to get out of allowing people to claim at all for this.

I’m sure they’re not the only airline doing this.
Every single airline virtually is doing the same. Even if they cancel the flights, it is a credit note. Same for tour companies, many who have pulled all their trips til the end of April. I haven’t noticed them upping their prices, but travelling now (aside from Easter hols) is fairly off peak so it makes sense that other times of the year are more expensive.

Tricky times at the office, but it might be the saving grace for the travel industry. Sucks for the consumer, though.

I am waiting for the FCO to warn against travel to Portugal so I can try and claim a refund, ironically.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Oh, and ABTA have now said that the ‘package travel directive’ was not designed for this sort of unprecedented situation so there is no recourse to that either, for any coronavirus affected bookings.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Woah, really? Can they do that retrospectively?

We’re going to ask if we can make a Section 75 credit card claim for the money. I doubt it, but maybe.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

I guess they can, because there wouldn’t be any wording specifically referring to this sort of event.

It’s probably unlikely re your credit card. Can you claim on your insurance now that the FCO is warning against all but essential travel?