Flying during Covid

Red

Flying during Covid

Post by Red »

Have you? Would you?

Unexpectedly I need to fly to Athens at the end of this week. I thought I would be fine with flying but my anxiety levels are through the roof.
For those that have flown, how covid-safe did the flight feel?
Any tips on managing anxiety, either yours or someone else's?

I'm not a brilliant flyer at the best of times but I have to go alone and with Covid I am dreading it.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Zoomer

Re: Flying during Covid

Post by Zoomer »

I flew to Ireland in mid-August and it was fine. The aeroplane was only about a quarter full (Ryanair flight) and people were well spaced out*. Dublin airport was very empty so easy to socially distance. I paid for fast track through security and for us to sit at the front of the flight, but really it wasn't necessary.

I read A Thing the other day about how relatively safe airplanes are re Covid - I'll see if I can find it for you.

*except for the dingbat sitting beside me, who decided to move to one of the many empty rows once I'd politely suggested it :ella:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm wary but I have friends from the UK who have been at their place in France (and popped to Sardinia and back again) who maintain that because the air on planes is cycled through HEPA filters it's safer than any other kind of masked travel at the moment. Neither of them are stupid or reckless so I hope that helps!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

My sister flew to Estonia on Saturday and she said the experience was pretty good - there were only about 30 people on board, so everyone was spaced out, wearing a mask, etc. She was also tested on arrival and I think will be again when she leaves, but that's because Estonia seems to be bossing it in terms of managing the pandemic.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

MrE has been on several flights in the past couple of months and he’s felt fine about it. What surprised him was the flights were totally full. No blocked seats for spacing. But people were all masked. And there were pre boarding and post disembarkation checks which added a bit of time. There are stats out there about how the air in the cabin is refreshed every X mins which mean that statistically is fairly low risk.
Red

Post by Red »

Thanks everyone, I didn't know that about the air filters on fligths.
People talk about picking up colds on flights due to recycled air which is partly what is worrying me.

Zoomer, I will have a read of that article, thanks!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I think the aeroplanes are quite safe, but you should be cautious in the airport - just wearing a mask, social distancing and washing your hands/using sanitiser would be fine though.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Red wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 am People talk about picking up colds on flights due to recycled air which is partly what is worrying me.
I suspect that has more to do with touching lots of unsanitised surfaces than anything else. And these days, that's not the major issue :tiniest of silver linings:
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

We're flying Exeter to Belfast then Edinburgh then back to Exeter at the beginning of October (wee Jimmy permitting) and I'm not too worried.
No.1 son flew down to Bristol a few weeks ago with easyJet and said the flight was full and he was a bit nervous but moved to the (empty) back row after takeoff.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Red wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 am Thanks everyone, I didn't know that about the air filters on fligths.
People talk about picking up colds on flights due to recycled air which is partly what is worrying me.
Before we went to Greece in August I was worried so I did a lot of reading - including the link Zoom posted - and it's apparently a myth. So I've been blaming all sorts on air travel over the years without a leg to stand on apparently.

The worst bit for me was definitely the airport and (British) dickheads crowding you. You know how annoying those people are who stand up as soon as the plane lands and clog up the aisle or block you getting to the baggage carouse? They're a lot more irritating in a global pandemic.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Tsu wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:58 am We're flying Exeter to Belfast then Edinburgh then back to Exeter at the beginning of October (wee Jimmy permitting).
Who do you mean, wee Jimmy?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Red

Post by Red »

Ruby wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:20 pm
Red wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 am Thanks everyone, I didn't know that about the air filters on fligths.
Before we went to Greece in August I was worried so I did a lot of reading - including the link Zoom posted - and it's apparently a myth. So I've been blaming all sorts on air travel over the years without a leg to stand on apparently.

The worst bit for me was definitely the airport and (British) dickheads crowding you. You know how annoying those people are who stand up as soon as the plane lands and clog up the aisle or block you getting to the baggage carouse? They're a lot more irritating in a global pandemic.
Thanks, Ruby. Airports are pretty awful places aren't they, and the baggage carousels where burly men jockey for position does give me the rage normally.

My plan at the airport is to find a spot and stay there until I go to the gate. I expect I will be crowded at passport control on the other side though. Can't wait.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I've always done this on planes (please call me Naomi Campbell) but maybe carry your own sanitising wipes? My poor children know not to touch a damn thing till I've wiped it all down - seatbelts, tables, windows etc. It might just put your mind at ease knowing you've done it yourself.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Ruby wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:20 pm You know how annoying those people are who stand up as soon as the plane lands and clog up the aisle or block you getting to the baggage carouse? They're a lot more irritating in a global pandemic.
Yes! I couldn't understand everyone on my flight standing up shoulder-to-shoulder and jostling to get off as soon as we landed. Sit down, you fools!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

That's not being Naomi Campbell-esque, I'd consider that to be just commonsense at the moment Luce!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’ve always done it too, Luce due to years of commuting and when I last flew a lot more people were wiping down seats and tray tables.

My cousin has done a lot of work on transport safety measures and said that the air travel itself is fine but it’ll definitely be the airports that you need to watch out for.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:03 pm That's not being Naomi Campbell-esque, I'd consider that to be just commonsense at the moment Luce!
You'd think but I've done this forever and, pre Covid, people used to look at me like I was unhinged.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Ha ha, I've always done it too and just ignored people looking at me like I was super uptight.

The tables and arm rests are much cleaner since covid!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve always done it too, I don’t care what people think :)).