Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

smalex

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by smalex »

We've booked a short break in Cornwall in May half term (which is mainly actually in June), we did it last week. S has vouchers to use and its all cancellable last minute so why not. I need hope. We're going to try and book self catering somewhere in the UK for a week in the summer holidays. If abroad is viable for a separate week in the summer, or maybe October half term, and I think I won't be eaten alive by the anxiety of it, then we'd look at that, but I'm sceptical about the odds. Hopefully we can plan some other mini breaks as well, in the UK, depending how it goes. S and W both have loads of vouchers to use for various experiences.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Travel companies are reporting a huge upsurge in bookings... Holiday bookings surge following lockdown exit plans https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56161129

I still hope we can go to the USA in October for C’s wedding, but I’m not letting myself believe it will happen yet.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am
You should be Disco, they're aiming for all over 40s by April latest I think.
Fully vaccinated, or first dose only, do you know? Otherwise that's another possible 12 weeks.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I had a look at UK cottage sites last night but didn't book.

We'll probably look to book for May, or after half term and before the main school holidays start. We'd normally go abroad in September but I don't think that will happen this year.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I haven't booked anything but I'm starting to feel hopeful for a European holiday in early September. I've got quite a lot of vouchers for flights from cancelled holidays last year. I won't book for months, though, probably only last minute.

I'm not particularly interested in holidaying in the UK as it's massively about the weather/different culture for me, but I might do a long weekend maybe in the Hebrides or Mull or something if we can in May/June. And I'd love some weekends in Edinburgh and Glasgow visiting friends and restaurants over the summer if possible.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 pm
Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am
You should be Disco, they're aiming for all over 40s by April latest I think.
Fully vaccinated, or first dose only, do you know? Otherwise that's another possible 12 weeks.
First dose, but the figures coming out of the Israeli and our data for first dose efficacy only of the Pfizer jab are tremendous (and the signs are that AZ won't be far behind).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thanks. I'm not sure I should be allowed to return to the world just yet :lol:.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We've got Norfolk booked for the last week in August, which I'm fairly confident will be ok.

Very oddly, I've just had an email from the mini-festival we were booked to go to last year - saying they are planning to go ahead this July and to save the weekend! It's small, about 500 people, and a friends of friends thing organised by some parents who used to go to our school but still feels a bit over optimistic given it's the second weekend of July!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am You should be Disco, they're aiming for all over 40s by April latest I think.
I can only find a timeline saying the government aim is to vaccinate all over 50s by 15 April and all adults by the end of July.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've been avoiding this thread because the thought of going on holiday was something I didn't dare dream of but now I feel a tiny bit of hope! We were discussing Greece last night. It feels too soon to book anything but I am hoping against hope that we can go in the summer although I don't want to travel until I'm vaccinated, for my sake and other people's, and I'm not sure the island will open up to us. I have just had an email from Olympian cancelling my Greek flight in May (moved from last year to 'hold' the flight). We were due to go to Rome for a yoga retreat in May as well which will obviously be postponed.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Our week in The Lakes might be happening! :vrb: They are planning to reopen on April 12th so if things don’t change before then, the plan is to head up north early on the Monday and stay until the Saturday. I honestly can’t wait (but am obviously not considering it to be a done deal just yet...)
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

So... it looks like we are heading to The Lakes in just over a week! :bounce:

Our plan is to try to avoid the most popular places and minimise the amount of driving we will do once there. Lots of walks can be done from the doorstep, thankfully. Shopping at Booths :love: , takeaways and sitting on the balcony with a book and a nice drink. I honestly can’t think of anything better :))
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That sounds so lovely, Arrietty :love:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That's brilliant, Arrietty! I hope the weather is kind to you.

I've booked Hydra in August, with a cancellation policy.

AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Lily wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 pm That's brilliant, Arrietty! I hope the weather is kind to you.

I've booked Hydra in August, with a cancellation policy.
I’ve just been looking at Hydra, Lily, after downloading a new book set there (A Theatre For Dreamers by Polly Samson). It looks and sounds like absolute paradise! Have you been before? I hope you make it in August.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

My friend helped out with that book! I was given it last year but I haven't been able to open it yet as we normally go there every year (my friend has a house there) and I'm missing it terribly. I must read it but I feel a bit others pathetic about it at the moment. :l:

AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Oh, I so hope you get there in August and can read it there in the sun! I completely understand feeling a bit unable to bear reading it right now. I’m missing Greece quite painfully at the moment too.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I've booked a week in Northumberland for mine and The Bf's 40th! It's not our original three weeks in South Africa plan, but hey ho :lol:
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

So Jersey has marked most of the UK as green, so no need to quarantine (just tests on arrival and day 5). I think we might tentatively look at trying to go over in half term in June, once we know more about the UK’s plans.
smalex

Post by smalex »

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 40119.html

Holiday to Pitcairn or British Antarctic Territory, anyone? :uhh: