Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Edith Bacon

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by Edith Bacon »

What companies are people booking through? I’ve mostly looked on AirBnB and am struggling to find places I would like to stay at prices I am prepared to pay, which is not usually an issue for me.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Booking.com for accommodation. Filtered by fully refundable / pay nothing until you arrive.

Sun £9.50 caravan holidays. :lol: They have good Covid refund policies and are so cheap that it doesn’t feel like a risk.

Also, for me, Easyjet because I know we will always be able to use vouchers / rebook something else, even if it is just visiting MrD’s brother in Amsterdam.

If you are planning a big trip then loads of tour companies have deposits from as little as £1 which lets passengers book for 2021/2022 and it is fully transferable if travel looks unlikely.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Are you booking around term time, struggling and expensive people? because I was reckoning we would be okay to just book and go when permitted given that our requirements are 1) not in termtime 2) in the middle of totally nowhere and 3) we only need a bed and a kitchen, not like, family accommodation.

I have said Assynt again or Kielder this year on the childish grounds I am fed up of other people in nature and would like to be in nature quietly. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Loads of places I've browsed for the summer holidays are completely booked up, or have one week available for the very reasonable sum of £5689.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Just after New Year we booked 10 days in a cabin somewhere between Axminster and Lyme Regis for the end of August. We booked directly with the person who owns it and they had good cancellation policies. It was pretty reasonable too. I'm happy to share if anyone fancies that area.

Yesterday we booked an airbnb in Whitstable for half term. That's got a reasonable cancellation policy too and we have chosen the quieter end of town.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Edith Bacon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm What companies are people booking through? I’ve mostly looked on AirBnB and am struggling to find places I would like to stay at prices I am prepared to pay, which is not usually an issue for me.
I booked through https://www.sykescottages.co.uk . The Covid info seemed reasonable. You're looking at at least a grand for a family of four though, which is why I never normally go away in this country.
Skips

Post by Skips »

My mum has been looking outside of school holidays and something for just the two of them and is still finding it's £££ compared to previous years.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Ruby wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:10 pm
Edith Bacon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm What companies are people booking through? I’ve mostly looked on AirBnB and am struggling to find places I would like to stay at prices I am prepared to pay, which is not usually an issue for me.
I booked through https://www.sykescottages.co.uk . The Covid info seemed reasonable. You're looking at at least a grand for a family of four though, which is why I never normally go away in this country.
Thanks for that. A grand is quite the bargain compared to some of the stuff I’ve seen; four grand for a Mon-Fri near Lancaster, anyone? :ella:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Jesus. :lol: I prioritised location. I am not really fussy about what the accomodation is like, as long as it was in the right place and had WiFi.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

God, it was always less than that even trying to find somewhere with enough bedrooms to accommodate three adults and two kids when we all went en masse. £700 to £800 usually for two double bedrooms, a twin and a single. I was NOT sharing. :))
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Yeah about a grand a week seems the going rate.

Nearly a grand a night in Lancaster!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I really wish I'd been less optimistic about the odds of going abroad. The one time I'm blase and optimistic about something happening :lol:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think you probably will be able to go abroad in the summer. However, I think you might need things like private PCR tests or vaccination certificates and they will end up being difficult or impossible or expensive to get. I feel lucky every day that we were able to go to Greece last summer, but it was very stressful in the lead-up.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah. I almost melt from the anxiety of travel anyway (often specifically the fear of one of us falling ill immediately before travelling) so I'd have to have a very good think about whether I could realistically cope with the fear, even if it did end up being an option.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

So, whose booked a holiday then?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:lol: No chance.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 am :lol: No chance.
:lol:

My friend asked me if I want to go on holiday after 21 June.

June 2022 yeah I can think about that but I might not even be vaccinated by June this year let alone everything else!
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Hmmm. Our annual trip to our timeshare in Keswick is due to start on 10th April. Other than that, we have a week in Norfolk in August (transferred from last July) and the postponed from last April Keswick week, which is now booked for November.

We haven’t booked or paid for anything new at all, and I definitely wouldn’t be risking a holiday abroad.
Last edited by Arrietty on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I've got two that were moved from last year. I'm secretly hoping the cruise will get cancelled if I'm honest, I don't much fancy it any more but we'd lose 15% deposit if we cancelled ourselves which is a pretty big chunk (actually I should check that, that's based on before the update yesterday).
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Not abroad but I booked a week in a cottage in Cornwall in May a couple of months ago - full cancellation refund ahead of time if needs be. We'll see.

You should be Disco, they're aiming for all over 40s by April latest I think.