Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Rebel Pebble

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am Could you consider going somewhere via ferry instead Rebs? That at least removes the airport part of the equation.
While France, Spain and the Netherlands* remain on the amber list, we'd still be stuck with the cost of all the testing plus self isolation on return (or pay even more for Test to Release for Mr R). Tui has very good deals on Amber testing packages but I haven't seen anything as cheap as that anywhere else. :sigh:

*These are the places I think of for ferries. I might be missing something. Although France these days for me means tunnel.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The Green List is hilariously useless. Quick summer beach holiday to the Falklands anyone? YES PLEASE! :mog:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Can't imagine why none of the current green options appeal!

(J is still merrily making plans to go on a (motor)bike tour of France in August with his mate. I'm saying nothing, but think he's crazy :) )
smalex

Post by smalex »

I mean Israel has nice resorts doesn't it but it seems inconveniently fraught in an entirely different way there right now
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Portugal is really nice and I'd happily go there in normal times, but I find travel anxiety inducing at the best of times so I'm not putting myself through it in the current circumstances. It might not be very logical but I hate the thought of being in an airport with hordes of people, and the same applies to a flight.

I also don't want the extra costs and stress of testing, and potentially having to quarantine as I wouldn't put it past the government to change the green list at short notice.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Even after I've got both vaccinations, all the crowding at an airport/on a plane/during the holiday feels too high risk for me (with the added risk of different variants). Add to that the stress of changing rules etc it just doesn't seem worth it.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I think also it's the idea of being trapped in the airport or plane that makes me feel a bit panicky, although I know that's not totally rational.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I was hoping they'd put some of the Greek islands green - if they did I was going to go on 19 June for 10 days (I haven't booked).

I'd have flown from Edinburgh, which is a small, quiet airport, and be well past my first jab. The risk and the hassle would have been worth it, to me.

If Portugal stays on the green list, I might go there instead, but I don't like it nearly as much as Greece, so not sure.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I love Portugal and we've booked a big ole family holiday there for mid-August but it's not looking good. We can cancel the villa for free so I imagine that's what we'll be doing later this week.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I honestly cannot be dealing with all the extra stress and costs of testing, queues, possible quarantine, the will-we-won't-we be able to even go, 3 children anyone of whose school bubbles could burst. So we'll stick with North Norfolk (which is going to be heaving no doubt!).
sally maclennane

AshleyX wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:42 pm I'd have flown from Edinburgh, which is a small, quiet airport
Any time I've flown from Edinburgh, it's been rammed! I thought it was busier than Glasgow!
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Oh haha, I'm maybe thinking compared with the scenes at Heathrow and places like that. I've always found it fine, but maybe I've just been lucky! Think it'd be even quieter right now, regardless!
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Portugal's on the amber list now. I find the build up to holidays stressful at the best of times, so I'm booking nowhere outside of the UK.
sally maclennane

Oh god, yes, compared to Heathrow it would certainly be quiet :lol:
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

sally maclennane wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:06 pm Oh god, yes, compared to Heathrow it would certainly be quiet :lol:
That looked terrible, all mingled in with the red countries arriving back! At least they've stopped that now.

I saw that, Rosa. Not Portugal, then. Anyone for Iceland? :mrgreen:

I'm hopeful maybe for early September, and if I'm double-jabbed by then it'd be a bit less hassle for tests.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

smalex wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:58 am The other thing I find personally off putting is the green list itself. There's no where I particularly want to go!
I love Portugal. We said we wouldn't go again as we went to the same place twice (because it was great) but there's so much more of the world to see. Not at the moment though, obviously :)) I don't think it will be any more rammed than usual, either; it seems easier to get flights and apartments than usual (although I suppose that doesn't take into account all the watch-and-waiters who would have booked last minute). It's no go now, anyway, and the uncertainty would probably have put us off.

I'd love to go to the Azores :hbeat: I used to work with someone who had lived there (and later moved back) and her photos were glorious.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I really wanted to love the Azores, but didn't. It's beautiful but somehow weird and there's not much infrastructure. It's supposed to be like a colder Hawaii, but it felt very eerie to me.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I was supposed to be going to Lagos in Portugal at the end of July. Boo. It’s the hope that kills you, etc. It’s my own fault for buying some holiday clothes.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

There's still time for it to turn back around, Luce. Fingers crossed for you!

(I also have some sandals and summer clothes arriving shortly :lol: )
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't mind Portugal but I've been several times and don't strongly desire going again. It is (was) the only really viable option though.

Id love so much to go somewhere but We keep chucking money into the holiday fund like normal and taking very little out in comparison so I keep telling myself it's OK to wait for better, less stressful options. Presuming it's next year before that's the case we'll have 2.5yrs of saving to throw at things.