Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

smalex

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by smalex »

Ach. Sorry Lucy. 2 months is a long time in this pandemic, so fingers crossed
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Yes, so much can and will change (hopefully for the better!).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It could still change for the better, Luce!

We have booked Greece and the others will still go if it's on amber, but now I am weighing up the morals of going when the govenrment are saying we shouldn't.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I think I personally wouldn’t travel to an amber country just in case they turned it red at short notice. But I hope very much that the Greek islands will go green (and Portugal!) at the next review.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am Could you consider going somewhere via ferry instead Rebs? That at least removes the airport part of the equation.
Ooh actually now I'm looking at Jersey. You can get a 4 hour ferry from Poole. And if you've been double vaxxed you just have to take a test on arrival and no isolation. Although the ferry is twice the flights from LGW.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Having done this dance last summer, I've opted out this year. Getting everyone tested in the right time-frame would be extremely costly and awkward. We went away last August, but only because it had been booked since January. Constantly being on alert for any last minute rule changes, conflicting advice from official sources and hours-long phone queues with any travel companies. I am generally pretty relaxed about travelling, and I loved our holiday last year, but it was too stressful to make an active choice to do it again this year.
absley

Post by absley »

We've decided to opt out of international travel this year, given all the hassle and expense associated with just sorting out a one-way flight back to UK (quarantine and tests).
smalex

Post by smalex »

I absolutely think the government will at some point flick a place from green to red and bankrupt a load of people.
Last edited by smalex on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I shut down talk of Spain just after Christmas when S was telling me we could all fly to Seville in August for £300. We’re holidaying in the UK. We’ve been so lucky with the weather this week in Whitstable!
smalex

Post by smalex »

We were extremely lucky last year in Hastings and lucky again this week in Cornwall. But our camping trip last August got cancelled because of literal gale force winds. If you holiday in this country you've 100% got to prepare yourself for it being shit.
Why yes!. I Should work for the tourist board :mrgreen:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Of course! We had a week of gale force winds and rain in Camber in October but it was a change of scene.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I’m not sure how to go on holiday in this country other than Center Parcs which is ££££s or camping but we promised the kids we’d only do that again if we always went with friends etc! And I’m really looking for weather and I really want to pack a suitcase and I really want to be away for two whole weeks etc. But honestly, this is such first world problems that I feel like a tit complaining about it. The kids have had so many holidays and events cancelled that they’re at least super resilient about change. They’re cynical kids now, poor things.
smalex

Post by smalex »

If you get niceish weather then a week is pretty easy to fill. I've never done a full fortnight in this country, I think a change of location or doing two separate weeks over the holidays would be better maybe. We had a fortnight last summer because we were meant to be in America, we had 4/5 days in Sussex which was amazing, the cancelled camping trip (which we replaced with a two night trip to go to alton towers) and then some boggy days in between at home which, if I'm brutally honest, were an absolute sack of shit.

I'd love to go away. I daydream about our last holiday in Mexico most days :mog:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:14 am I’m not sure how to go on holiday in this country other than Center Parcs which is ££££s or camping but we promised the kids we’d only do that again if we always went with friends etc!
I feel similar. We have booked a cottage in Northumberland. I doubt the weather will be perfect :)) but there are at least lots of things to do.
Luce

Post by Luce »

What actually are the things to do though? With shit weather? I can’t face any more walks! I’m trying to figure out how to sell a week of touring various national trusts for the kids :look: I’m so shit of finding fun things to do, that’s why CP has always been brilliant, it’s just laid on for you!

I don’t think I can face trying to find somewhere in the uk, surely everything was booked up months ago.
Luce

Post by Luce »

smalex wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 am
I'd love to go away. I daydream about our last holiday in Mexico most days :mog:
I’ve become obsessed with Mexico :lol: It was all booked for 2020. Then moved to 2021. Then that sadly became Portugal which has become nothing. But it was going to be amazing. All inclusive. Massages. Cocktails on tap. Kids had their own room. Kids club for them to mess about with, they were going to be taken camping on the beach etc etc. I’m driving myself insane thinking about it :lol:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Well, if the weather is good, picnics, looks around nice towns/villages, walks (in New places!), beach, boat trips, national trust places, hire bikes, theme parks or other tourist attractions. Obviously if the weather is bad almost all of those are much less attractive and you end up remortgaging your house to pay to get into anything indoors and everyone is miserable :mrgreen:

Obviously if you were hoping for a fortnight on a sun lounger in the med you'll need to adjust expectations....quite comprehensively :cry:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

We’ve been very lucky with the weather so we’ve spent a lot of time on the beach. The kids can skim stones, go crabbing, make sandcastles, dig holes, play frisbee, fly a kite etc. We had two days where family/friends joined us so kids are instantly entertained. We’ve visited a couple of local towns - shell grotto, gallery, cafes, ice creams, fish and chips etc. For bad weather we brought games like bananagrams, spot it, uno etc. We let the kids choose a book from the local shop to read. Their choice of a family movie with treats the kids have chosen from the local sweet shop. Spending holiday money takes up a surprising amount of time! We brought devices too because we’re not monsters and want to look at our phones too, obv.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:48 am What actually are the things to do though? With shit weather? I can’t face any more walks! I’m trying to figure out how to sell a week of touring various national trusts for the kids :look:
Castles, fish and chips, there's always a Go Ape type place, penny-arcades at the seaside, boat trips, theme parks or fairgrounds.

But, yes, definitely not a relaxing beach holiday but I honestly don't do those anyway.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I think the fish and chips and castles and stuff days out type stuff is ace but pretty much a normal weekend here, that’s what I’m struggling with, making a holiday feel different or special somehow. Maybe I’m on a hiding to nothing with that.

But theme parks is an excellent idea, we could do those, all four of us love rollercoasters so that helps.