Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Tabitha

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by Tabitha »

I wouldn't book it just now, sal. There's talk of introducing quarantine for those returning to the UK and I'd want to know if that was happening first although obviously anything can change between now and June.

I've resigned myself to a second year of no holidays, in fact I've just started using up my stash of holiday shampoos / shower gels etc.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I'd book Scotland if I could get a good deal and a full covid refund.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I agree with everyone.

I’ve got a weekend in April booked (booked two years ago) and am hoping they will transfer it to a future date. Other than that, I can’t bear the thought of looking forward to something that is likely to be either taken away altogether or be severely restricted. The hope will just break me.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It's funny because on a podcast I was listening to earlier, the interviewee was saying that they just need the hope, i.e. they don't mind if the plans fall through, but I'm with you, Edith.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

I hate the uncertainty. Part of the fun of booking is picking out places to visit and restaurants to eat in, I can't enjoy all that if it's likely to be taken away.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Hmm, I think I need the hope, and if it gets cancelled I can cope with that better than just nothing to look forward to.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Me too Tabs, planning and researching holidays is one of my major joys in life. Or was, anyway.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Tabitha wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am I've resigned myself to a second year of no holidays
Sames. :(

Being really pessimistic I wouldn't be booking anything even if they did offer a money back guarantee, as I'm sure the guarantee will mean nothing if the hotel goes bust.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I know it’s just one place but I had a look at the Blythswood recently sal, and even though I was looking at end of Feb (i.e. definitely not happening!) I had the option to book. For later in the year I might’ve done that as long as I had note of and set a reminder for the cancellation policy (something like 48 hours before in this case).
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I think Lisbon is at its best in September anyway.

I have some flights to Ibiza in May (booked ages and ages ago) and I feel like they probably won't happen but I'm not moving them yet. Easyjet do seem to have a very reasonable fee free option to move your flights if necessary.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The planning is the best bit.
kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 am
Tabitha wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am I've resigned myself to a second year of no holidays
Sames. :(

Being really pessimistic I wouldn't be booking anything even if they did offer a money back guarantee, as I'm sure the guarantee will mean nothing if the hotel goes bust.
Good point.
Skips

Post by Skips »

If we can't go on the cruise this year I'm going to cancel and we'll rebook something when we know we can definitely go somewhere - we've amended our booking once already. P&O have changed their website so you can't see on their homepage when they are on hold till - at the moment it's April but I strongly think that will change again. We're not due to go till September, so at the moment we sit and wait and see what happens. If we have to book a hotel when we get back I don't know what we will do, we won't be able to afford that on top of the holiday, but I think a lot of travel companies won't let you cancel for that reason.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I think the hope helped me at the start, but now I'm too worn down. I'm not even thinking of seeing my family until next Christmas really.
sally maclennane

I hate holiday planning to be honest, I find it really stressful :lol:

If I book a hotel, I'll go for something that we pay at the time, rather than paying in advance.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm pretty resigned to anything outside this country being impossible. Last year you could go abroad but somehow even though this year is meant to be 'better' it seems like its going to be more difficult.

Luckily Easyjet did indeed cancel the marrakech flights last week so we've applied for a refund, so we should finally get our money back. So thanks to whoever it was suggested it might happen, I'm glad we held off and waited rather than rearranged again. Looks like Virgin will be sat on our money for the US flights for a second summer running though :ruby:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I can't cope with the hope. If I set out with the expectation of doing nothing, I'll be ok but if I'm hanging on to the hope of doing something lovely, that will crush me.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Yes, totally agree with Goat, I prefer to plan nothing and to spend all my spare money on books and puzzles. :granny: I'm relatively confident that they'll all be used over the next few months.

It's my parents' 70th birthdays this year and we'd talked about a lovely big family holiday at Easter to celebrate. *hollow laughter* And France's ski resorts aren't opening at all, it looks like, so there will definitely be no sliding down snow.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I felt really hopeful in November, and even in Christmas, that something would be possible by the summer and now I feel really flat about it. I’m not sure why; nothing has changed much, there are vaccines in place - but everything feels so much worse.

I haven’t seen my family in over a year, and this year felt certain... now, not so much. I can’t go two+ years without seeing them. A2 was barely a toddler when my dad last saw him, he’ll be starting school next year :cry:.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:44 am Easyjet do seem to have a very reasonable fee free option to move your flights if necessary.
I moved flights to Scotland twice for free (though paying the difference in flight cost). When I decided to postpone a third time, I got a voucher for the full amount with £5 per person on top (because they'd moved the flight times, rather than a general policy I think). I didn't have it in me to arrange a fourth date that then passed without us going, so the voucher was pretty fortunate. we don't have to travel within 12 months but I do need to book within 12 months, which seemed a bit more realistic.

We have a couple of camping trips booked later in the year, but I'm glad we hadn't booked accommodation for a trip to see my parents at Easter yet.
sally maclennane

F'Artiste wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:55 pm I felt really hopeful in November, and even in Christmas, that something would be possible by the summer and now I feel really flat about it. I’m not sure why; nothing has changed much, there are vaccines in place - but everything feels so much worse.
Yeah, I do too although I cant say why. Vaccination is one of the few things going well but I suppose its the current lockdown which makes everything feel very doom laden.

It must be even worse when it means not seeing family.