Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

smalex

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by smalex »

Yes, exactly F'Arty! Last year some people went abroad. Now, even though we'll be 7 or 8 months into a mass vaccination programme, it seems less likely?! I get its because of other strains and whatever... but ppppffttt.

Sorry about your family. It must be horrible.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yeah, I had been optimistic we'd be able to do something for Mr G's 50th in July but at the moment I daren't speculate really. I still think we might well be able to do SOMETHING but I don't want to go counting any chickens just yet.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

smalex wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:35 pm Yes, exactly F'Arty! Last year some people went abroad. Now, even though we'll be 7 or 8 months into a mass vaccination programme, it seems less likely?! I get its because of other strains and whatever... but ppppffttt.

Sorry about your family. It must be horrible.
I think, with hindsight, the government should have stopped all international travel last year but they didn’t have the appetite for such strong restrictions back then. I expect there would have been a massive backlash but we are all more used to being restricted now and that brings with it a weary pragmatism.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

We were originally hoping to go away in May to replicate the holiday that got cancelled last May, but shifted our expectations to it being October as a more likely scenario now. I’m absolutely not booking anything though (which goes against my usually highly organised way of planning all our activities :twitch: but since that obviously massively backfired on me last year having to spend months chasing refunds on all kinds, I don’t want to go through that again).

I’m just working on the basis that if we can get away at all (and want to!) that we’ll just have to stomach the cost of it being last minute.

My brother’s Sten party (June) and Wedding (August) is looking like it’s hanging in the balance again but I daren’t bring that up with him as he fully ostriched the delaying of it last year so no doubt going through similar at the moment. The former was to be in SoF, we’ve paid for accommodation (they let us transfer over the booking from last year) so it’s flights that need booking for that one but I genuinely can’t see that happening.

I know I sound like a twat because I do DESPERATELY want a *normal* holiday, but at the moment I’d just be happy with being able to regularly see my friends at home, or go out for dinner somewhere nice and that feels a long way off :cry:
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

We had a work meeting this morning and CEO said that they (and many other big holiday companies) have basically written off 2021 until Q4. People might start booking again then but for travel in 2022.

I have CenterParcs in 4 weeks (supposedly!) - rebooked from last year, Porto in March - rebooked from last year, Spain all inclusive in August - rebooked from last year and DisneyParis in October. Maybe DisneyParis will go ahead but I have lost hope for everything else.

We will definitely book some weekends away as a consolation prize and get a booking.com pay on arrival and no cancellation fee deal.

I was saying to MrD last night I don't even know if I will ever see my family in Australia (ie. everyone!) again. There are companies offering to build entire quarantine camps - why would they do that if everything was going to go back to normal by the end of the year?
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't really understand the long term goal of Australia and NZ. Obviously what they've achieved is amazing and I'd take it in a heartbeat but if the full worldwide eradication of the virus is impossible (highly unlikely?) won't they eventually have to let it *in*?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yes, surely once vaccination is rolled out, they'll ease their restrictions?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Eesh Dande, that is rough. They can't stay separate forever surely?

What is SoF, Pov?

(Christ, this phone just renamed you Daniel and Poverty!)

My brother's wedding was similar, hen in May and wedding in July both rolled over 12 months. At the time I thought he had been over-cautious but now I can't believe they'll happen this year either.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

My brother's July 2020 wedding definitely won't be happening this year either. He's in SE Asia and it's unlikely they'd be able to get to the neighbouring country where the wedding would be held, let alone any of us get there.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My step SIL has a rolled over July wedding planned too. Seemed such a safe bet, now I reckon there is 0% chance of it going ahead at full capacity (if at all).
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

It's crazy that we're still in this situation.

One benefit of having been skint for years and therefore unable to afford holidays is that I think I feel the loss of this year's potential trips a bit less. :lol: I'm pinning my hopes on local-ish days away and maybe an overnight somewhere in Scotland.

My cousin messaged me today to say she'd booked a week in Mallorca for July which I thought was pretty bold.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Tabitha wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:36 pm Eesh Dande, that is rough. They can't stay separate forever surely?

What is SoF, Pov?
I’m clearly not Pov, but my guess would be South of France.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I'm not considering anything abroad this year either, Shoe.

I have concert tickets for July that got moved from last year and I don't even think that will be possible. A huge, packed venue seems NUTS this year still. We spent a fortune on those tickets, and I just wish they'd cancel already.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

smalex wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:38 pm I don't really understand the long term goal of Australia and NZ. Obviously what they've achieved is amazing and I'd take it in a heartbeat but if the full worldwide eradication of the virus is impossible (highly unlikely?) won't they eventually have to let it *in*?
The current proposals are to use existing mine camps in regional QLD for quarantine. I’m not sure what the formal
approach is here. I don’t think it’s eradication, but they also seem to want to catch any cases in quarantine and have zero community transmission. We’ve already been told that there won’t be any international travel this year even with the vaccine roll out starting next month.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I suppose luckily (?) we only ever do holidays last minute so I'm going to wait and see. Friends were talking about how UK holiday places are already booked up and the price gouging going on.

I have maybe a narrow view of holidays and for me they involve nice weather and/or a different culture so there's no way I'm paying over the odds in advance to play weather roulette in this country.

The whole thing is rubbish.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

I had some wistful dreams of a holiday in France this year - it’s also my 50th this year and all the plans we had aren’t going to happen. Now I don’t know whether to try and book somewhere in Cornwall or hold out hope that I can actually stay with family by the summer.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

H1ppychick wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 pm
Tabitha wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:36 pm Eesh Dande, that is rough. They can't stay separate forever surely?

What is SoF, Pov?
I’m clearly not Pov, but my guess would be South of France.
Yes! Thank you!
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I had a trip to Edinburgh booked for last May with my Mum (aged 81) to also see family in Glasgow. Obviously we had to cancel and as I had paid the hotel in full moved the booking to this April - expect that not to happen now and will have to see if I can move the booking to the end of the year depending on what restrictions are in place - not much fun to visit a city as a tourist if you cannot go to galleries/museums/sight seeing things or restaurants.

I also bought £60 Eurostar day trip ticket to Lille for June last year with a friend. They would not refund and gave a voucher to use instead for future travel. My friend suggested last week (she is 70) that we try and go "for my Birthday" in March. I said that I would much rather lose the £60 than travel anywhere in the next few months!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’ve had it in my head that I’d be able to get back to see my family in the UK this summer and it hadn’t really occurred to me until now that it might not be possible.
Little My

Post by Little My »

The fact that there are no vaccinations for kids on the horizon makes me nervous for travelling abroad.