Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by Lily »

Magic is indeed the word. Stupid idea probably but I have a clock made from driftwood ornamented with sea glass from a beach I love; it is probably awfully trashy but I'd do something similar with all that.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel going to Greece. All the testing will cost at least £300 extra, I'm not sure I'd relax & it also feels rather immoral to go abroad when the gvt are saying "We'd rather you didn't." I haven't made my mind up yet but it feels like the right thing to do. :(

Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I am so angry at our fucking useless government over this. Mind you, I'm always angry at them.

We obviously ruled out Portugal pretty swiftly! There are still UK holidays to be had without spending ridiculous amounts (obviously subjective, but I won't be spending £1k on a week in a caravan like I did last August :verm: ) We're going to sunny Cambridgeshire on the next leg of our 'places in the UK we've never visited' tour. I'm really looking forward to it but it does feel like a slightly odd holiday destination :lol:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I have booked to go to Gothenburg at the start of July. I feel bad about travelling but I'm double jabbed, will isolate for a week before travelling, and will be alone for a few weeks when I come back. Of course, there's always the chance I'll get a last minute positive test and not be able to fly, or that the rules will change over the next few weeks, but we decided that it was better to try and miss out, than regret not trying. Swedish rules currently say that EU citizens are allowed in with a negative tests and, as I'm fully vaccinated more than two weeks in advance, I don't need to quarantine or test while I'm there. I will need to test before flying back, and isolate for 10 days at home, but that's fine. This is basically what's getting me through these last few weeks of writing up PhD, which is threatening to kill me :))
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Why do you feel bad about it, Smurf? It sounds like you're being sensible to me.

I was secretly hoping that we would be able to book somewhere last minute in the summer. We're already going to Northumberland for a week. However, I've now decided to stop pining for the Med and we've booked a weekend in London instead. Now I just need to find something that will impress teenagers. :uhh:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Loralei wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm We're going to sunny Cambridgeshire on the next leg of our 'places in the UK we've never visited' tour. I'm really looking forward to it but it does feel like a slightly odd holiday destination :lol:
Lora, this place is good;

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Which bit of Cambridgeshire are you going to, lora? Ely is beautiful. Wisbech less so :lol:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Ruby wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pm Why do you feel bad about it, Smurf? It sounds like you're being sensible to me.

I was secretly hoping that we would be able to book somewhere last minute in the summer. We're already going to Northumberland for a week. However, I've now decided to stop pining for the Med and we've booked a weekend in London instead. Now I just need to find something that will impress teenagers. :uhh:
Probably just Catholic guilt, really :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Absurd as it sounds, I'm dying to go to Cambridgeshire! Partly because I was supposed to go a week after lockdown started last year. It's a very spooky place, if the Lei family are into that. :goat:

I would go if I could get away with WFH for 2 weeks so I think you're fine to go Smun.

Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I've just booked 5 days camping in King's Lynn (Norfolk). It was pretty desperate measures trying to find somewhere in August with 2 electric pitches!

I have no idea what we're going to do when we're down there though.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

There's lots to do in Norfolk. The beaches are amazing, and the penny slots in Hunstanton are always good for a laugh. Whereabouts is the campsite?
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Ely and King’s Lyn were the last places we visited before the first lockdown, so are very happy memories for me. So much so that our main summer holiday this year is also in Norfolk :)
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

It's ages since we went camping in Norfolk but there was lots to do.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I may well be visiting Norfolk & Suffolk this year; my grandparents were in Suffolk & I have a lot of friends & family there. It's really worth doing. My geography is appalling but you must go to Southwold if it's not a million miles away from you (I always get the two folks mixed up).

baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Southwold is lovely, that is true. Its a long way from Lynn though. Ooh, seal trips or fishing trips from Morston!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

It's the Kings Lynn Caravan and Camping site. The penny arcades sound brilliant and so does seal trips! Cube really enjoyed our fishing trip to the North Sea but our clothes smelt awful so don't think that would appeal if we had to store them afterwards :D
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

You're going to be opposite a blueberry picking farm (Fair Green), I go every year, they're really cheap and so tasty. But this might not be considered fun for kids :lol:

There is a dinosaur park out towards Norwich. And you can rent day boats on the broads too (just past Norwich). Castle acre is v pretty, and the castle is good.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

There is a F&C shop in Dereham that used to do gluten free days on? Mondays? Maybe?

Holkham beach is the most beautiful, and Wells next the sea has v good ice cream.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Thank you for those recommendations. It sounds as if we're going to have loads to fill our days.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

For pubs: dabbling duck in great Massingham, the duck in Stanhoe, the squirrels drey in sporle, coco's cafe in Swaffham,the Victoria in Holkham, I haven't been to pubs in Wells for ages but when I went they were good, the white horse at Brancaster, the George and dragon near castle acre.

The cafe in Castle acre is good