London Weekend

smalex

London Weekend

Post by smalex »

You're all always super helpful about London arrangements :suckup: so here's another.

We're going to London for a weekend at the end of July (23rd-25th). S has (another) 40th birthday voucher which has been kicking its heels for 18months and needs to be used by October. So, on the saturday afternoon he'll be doing a session in the Olympic velodrome.

The last 3 or 4 times we've been as a family we've stayed in a Premier Inn in Chiswick, which has been really good because its so convenient from the M4, nice shops and restaurants a short walk away, car park on site, easy walk to a well connected tube station. So we could do that again. But given we'll need to be over in Stratford for the saturday afternoon I'm wondering if we should stay over there. Theres a PI over there, decent price (I know they're dull but they're really good for families). But it takes a full additional hour to drive round there each way :cry:. But (but), chance to be based somewhere else and explore something different?

So any ideas to throw in the mix if we did go that way? Or reasons why its a terribly bad idea? We don't have any fixed ideas what else to do while we're there.

Going up the Gherkin might be an idea. W too short to go on the Olympic Park sculpture tube ride thing. I'm really excited to go back to the Olympic park. Infact I'm excited by a trip to London full stop :love:
Derek Nimmo

Re: London Weekend

Post by Derek Nimmo »

My ex lived in Stratford for a while and it is, as the Scottish contingent would say, nae bonny. I'd grab the chance to stay in Greenwich myself - great transport links to all over, but near to Stratford and a fantastic local area to explore to boot.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:58 pm My ex lived in Stratford for a while and it is, as the Scottish contingent would say, nae bonny.
In a- not very interesting way, or in a, high chance of being mugged way? :uhh:

I've never been to Greenwich, that would be good. Its such a bloody long way round the M25 though :cry:
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Oh, and I think it's easier to go up the Shard than the Gherkin (don't pay for the viewing floor, you can go for a drink just below it, or frankly just meander around for free as I've done a few times. If you do want to eat "on high", Duck & Waffle in the Heron Tower would be a good place to take a ten year old I reckon.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Mugged, definitely :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Nooo, not Stratford!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:01 pm Oh, and I think it's easier to go up the Shard than the Gherkin (don't pay for the viewing floor, you can go for a drink just below it, or frankly just meander around for free as I've done a few times. If you do want to eat "on high", Duck & Waffle in the Heron Tower would be a good place to take a ten year old I reckon.
Argh, I meant the Shard!! Ha. I did think 'Gherkin, is that right?!'
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Is it worth the extra drive for having less travel time to places when you're actually in London? You could even take the river boat rather than the tube which might be fun.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:01 pm Mugged, definitely :))
RIGHT. Gotcha. Ok. Scrub that then. Bummer. I was thinking an evening jog round the olympic park would be nice :mog:
smalex

Post by smalex »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm Is it worth the extra drive for having less travel time to places when you're actually in London? You could even take the river boat rather than the tube which might be fun.
Maybe. That's what I'm trying to balance up. Depends if there's enough other things on that side to make it worthwhile. We have West-londoned a lot (stands to reason, its so much more convenient) so it is tempting to base ourselves somewhere else even if it is a PITA to get to. That said, first weekend of the summer holiday might make the southern part of the M25 a living nightmare (bitter experience has taught me).
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

There's loads to do around the City and the East! When I (used to :cry: ) go and stay in the Smoke, it's where I'd always aim for. I would definitely be avoiding rush hour on the M25 though, you've got that right :)) Any chance you could come in early or late?
smalex

Post by smalex »

POssibly, if S can take the day off, we could come up on Friday morning rather than evening.

Give me your suggestions! We went to Canary Wharf once when the Aardman trail was in London, but otherwise I can't think I've been east of the Tower of London many times (apart from for the Olympics and World Champs in Stratford)
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

If you want a view from on high, the Sky Garden is good (and free).
smalex

Post by smalex »

Tabitha wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:16 pm If you want a view from on high, the Sky Garden is good (and free).
Oh interesting! That might be good.

Are there things to do at or around the O2? I've never been.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:08 pm There's loads to do around the City and the East!
Agreed; I'm biased, but it's where I spend most of (all of) my time.

You can hike over the top of the O2 if that's of interest? It's quite fun. You have carabiners holding you on.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The Sky Garden is great!

We’ve just booked for the following weekend and I’m looking for things to do. Not too touristy, and it’s only me & C.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The emirates cable car is quite fun too, but otherwise I think the area around the O2 is a bit of a desert.

Off the top of my head...The Museum of London in the Docklands is great (also, lots of places to eat around there), as is the Bethnal Green Toy Museum and the Geffrye (which I think has been renamed the Museum of the Home - you'd love it!). There's Bermondsey and Maltby St food markets as well. and of course Greenwich itself - there are some very pretty streets, and of course there's the park (and Blackheath) and all of the meridian stuff to explore too.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Also, the cable cars are good. I'm hoping to take my nephew on them this summer, en route to the Maritime Museum as I think he'll like the ship's figureheads.

I have to say it's quite a pest having to have tickets in advance for everything these days though, as you have to keep an eye on the time and cannot make allowances for weather.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Also, do you have a Harry Potter fan? If so, a visit across to Leadenhall Market (used as the set for Diagon Alley) always goes down well. As does a climb up Monument.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:27 pm The emirates cable car is quite fun too, but otherwise I think the area around the O2 is a bit of a desert.
Exactly. Desert is right.
The Museum of London in the Docklands is great (also, lots of places to eat around there)
This is my favourite museum, I love it (but also good for children). You can get one of the fast boats (Clippers) from nearby as well. The Maritime Museum is really good too, agreed.