London Weekend

Derek Nimmo

Re: London Weekend

Post by Derek Nimmo »

And the Tower of London! And getting on a Docklands Light Railway train, sitting at the front and pretending to drive it! The Thames Barrier is pretty cool as well, and if memory serves there's a very nice little park that was built on industrial land nearby that would be great for a picnic.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

You could drive straight through the middle of London which would take some time off. With a good sat nav it shouldn't be too tricky but depends how you feel about London driving. Or park somewhere like Chiswick and then tube across London for your hotel?

I grew up near Greenwich so am biased but it's got some good stuff - park/museum/river/Observatory. There's also a city farm across the river (DLR) and walking under the river is fun if it's still open. It's about a 20 minute train journey from Greenwich to London Bridge or Charing Cross (good for the West End/Covent Garden)
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I love all of this :love:.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Oh - I would say stay in Greenwich proper - not near the O2. It is indeed pretty barren near the O2 itself.
smalex

Post by smalex »

These are all excellent suggestions, thanks. Some definite things of interest. The only one we've already done is the Tower of London. I'm going to go through these later and have a proper look. Noted re the O2 though. It does look a bit out on a limb.

We could drive through not around, but wouldn't we get congestion charged? Did also think about parking west and then tubing across, but its probably not quicker, plus lugging of 3 peoples stuff too.

I just love a good wander round london. That trail a few years was perfect for it because it made us wander loads in places we wouldn't necessarily have gone to/through.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’d like to go back to the Maritime Museum - we ran out of time after the Museum of Docklands (excellent) and the Royal Observatory (very good).

The V&A Museum of Childhood is great but temporarily closed.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I third the Museum of London Docklands! My kids loved it.

Canary Wharf has a summer lights exhibition going on until August, so something to see as you wander around: https://canarywharf.com/whats-on/summer ... -aug-2021/

The Novotel at Canary Wharf has stunning views from its restaurant and bar (and might have good rates to stay there given the lack of business travel?) https://all.accor.com/hotel/9057/index. ... in=novotel

In Greenwich there is the Cutty Sark, the Royal Naval Museum and the Royal Observatory/Planetarium - my kids have enjoyed all of those. You could run around Greenwich park? It’s also lovely.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

There’s The Queen’s House too. We really liked that when we visited last year. They had all three of Queen Elizabeth I’s Armada portraits.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think I’m going to book the V&A handbag exhibition since I missed out on Curiouser & Curiouser.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks Liv, that summer lights thing is very much my cup of tea. Good point re the hotels!

The V&A is so good, a handbag exhibition sounds excellent
Elya

Post by Elya »

We did this at half term - drove to MrE’s sister’s in Wanstead (m25/m11) v near Stratford and left the car there. If you can pick your moment the m25 is not too bad. Stratford is so easy for transport and Olympic park obvs.

We love a DLR/cable car/lunch at Wagamama’s at the O2 (always nice and quiet( before boat down to the southbank. Love the Museum of London both at Canary Wharf and London Wall. Fountains at Granary Square if it’s hot.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks Elya. I think we're going to book a Hilton in canary wharf in the end which seems great value. I couldn't find the right combo of family room/availability/location near rail link/cost in Greenwich

The docklands museum looks fab.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It’s so good, all creaky floorboards and little nooks, and you will find out about the origin of the Mill Wall :)). It’s the best part of town by far for history (and in general.)
smalex

Post by smalex »

I want to go everywhere now. Between the Maritime museum and the Observatory, which is better? I don't think we'd have time for 3 museums (and 10yr old patience). I'd definitely want a wander round the park (I'm such a sucker for a city park)

The Museum of the Home looks so so good but definitely one too many for this trip.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The Observatory has the meridian line, but you can cross that without actually going in, if I recall correctly.

(I mean, obviously you can :lol:.)
Beena

Post by Beena »

What's most likely to hold W's attention, Smal? Stars or boats? I remember taking Bambs to both as a child and apart from the planetarium shows, boats definitely won out with her.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

You could do an Observatory show and have a quick look at the exhibits on your way in. Then have a run around the park and do the museum on the way home.

Is W into location spotting? The area outside the Queens House has been used in a lot of films.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:19 am The Observatory has the meridian line, but you can cross that without actually going in, if I recall correctly.

(I mean, obviously you can :lol:.)
:lol: It doesn't count unless someone's marked it on the ground.

I reckon probably boats.

Location spotting- not so much. We've pointed things out to him once or twice to this face :woteva:
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I took my niece and nephew on a tour of some of the Monopoly properties and they loved that. :)) But we're an odd family.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We just peered through the railings at the Meridian, far too cheap to go in.