Setting up a website

Lily
Picker-Lily

Setting up a website

Post by Lily »

I've volunteered to set up a simple website for the rescue place from whence Rosco came, as they don't have one and I think it's v important. I have drafted one on Squarespace, but am wondering if it would be simpler to do pages on Wordpress or similar. It doesn't have to be complicated, but needs to cost as little as possible for obvious reasons! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have no idea how to do this. :look:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Princess Morripov

Re: Setting up a website

Post by Princess Morripov »

I’ve used Wix before, that’s pretty good, and easy!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I'm a huge fan of Wordpress as it is infinitely flexible and has a huge number of add-ons (both free and paid-for) that can transform the basic blog template into almost anything. My ecommerce site is a Wordpress site, running an ecommerce 'plug-in'. The benefit to me is that I can host it wherever I like and have associated storage, email, and complete access to the server via cPanel and FTP.

However, that said, the very same things that make Wordpress an ideal choice for me, might make it a PITA for someone less technical. Also, there are two formats of Wordpress. There's the full-blown version that I use (from wordpress.org) and there's a more user-friendly, cut-down version with more restricted functionality that often comes free with a hosting package (wordpress.com).

But I have a degree in IT and have been building simple brochure websites and blogs since the good-old days of html and MS Frontpage. TBH, if you don't need any sophisticated functionality, I might be inclined to go with a package from Squarespace or similar. Either version of Wordpress involves more of a learning-curve that may or may not be worthwhile for your needs.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I don't think the technology really matters in this instance but a commitment to regular updates and writing decent copy for it. No one will find it unless it's regularly updated. Squarespace is good. WordPress is good. Wix is fine.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Thanks both. I went off Wix because they wanted me to pay straightaway and I didn't want to do that without getting the go-ahead from the rescue place. Squarespace offers a free trial so I will see how we get on with that!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored