Work laptop has frozen - Help please!

SunnyMum

Work laptop has frozen - Help please!

Post by SunnyMum »

I'm WFH today and my work laptop has frozen. Absolutely NOTHING is happening. I've tried alt+ctrl+delete. I've tried the power button. Nothing.
I've plugged it in, un-plugged it. I've taken the mouse and keyboard off, and back on. Nothing.

Is there anything else I can try before I have to call IT?
Chicky

Re: Work laptop has frozen - Help please!

Post by Chicky »

Does it have a removable battery? If so then you could try removing it and putting back in. Or alternatively hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds?
Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

I’ve had this and no removable battery, so like Chicky says I just kept my finger on the power button until it eventually switched off.
Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

And make sure it’s unplugged from the power cable when you do it.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Thanks Turtles.
I kept my finger on the power button for aaaaaages. Then there was an audible "plop" and it switched off. I left it for a few minutes and switched it back on. It seems to be up and running again. Maybe it just got a bit over heated ? Too many thing open at the same time (big bad habit of mine)?

Phew and double phew!!

I was NOT zen like this :coffee: I was more like this :tit:
Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

I’m glad you managed to sort it. My work laptop did this and then shortly after stopped turning on, well it would boot up eventually after pressing the power button many times. It wasn’t a battery issue but something like a motherboard issue (but not, I can’t remember the component name). I put up with it as I was leaving so I didn’t need a new one.

It’s probably worth letting IT know as they can usually run some diagnostics to find out if there is an issue, or if it was a one off. Overheating is a possibility but not sure how likely.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Yes, I will let IT know. I need to contact them about something else soon anyway.
I does seem to get a bit hot from time to time, I can hear the fan switching on. I've raised it up on top of two books (GoT, fact fans) so that air is getting under it.