Podcasts & Blogs I like

smalex

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by smalex »

I did listen to that Australian Case Files for a bit and then had to stop because I felt twitchy and unsettled all the time :look:. But otherwise, nah.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Some good recommendations on here: I like the sound of missing people.

Spooked is still good. It gets listeners to submit real life ghost stories. There is a shit one about a zombie clown and another "pretend haunting" which gave me the RAGE but there are some good ones on there. I miss Adam Buxton but will get his Ramble Book (which is being serialised by Radio 4).

Does anyone else see a podcast with loads of episodes and feel completely put off? I know that's lazy but the thought of starting at the very beginning fills with me despair.

BBC Sounds are doing one about the atomic bomb called, strangely enough, The Bomb, which is v good.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

cluefree wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:14 pm Do none of you get bad dreams after them or anything? I am such a massive daisy. :lol:
No, I'm of the personality type of the more information good and bad I take in the better I am at coping with everyday life.

Also, because I have an investigative streak a mile wide I find the processes and procedures comforting and I have to know the truth at all costs really.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I can see how that would help, actually, if you’re more analytically minded, Duo. I can understand that. Meanwhile, I will keep trying to wash my face with my eyes half open after watching or listening to something grim. :lol:
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

smalex wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:17 pm I did listen to that Australian Case Files for a bit and then had to stop because I felt twitchy and unsettled all the time :look:. But otherwise, nah.
I had to stop listening to that one too.

I started Radio Rental today after hearing about in on MFM. It's not bad.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Last edited by Jupiter on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

cluefree wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:14 pm Do none of you get bad dreams after them or anything? I am such a massive daisy. :lol:
I did when I listened to the one about the Golden State Killer.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

My brother recommended Ronan Farrow's podcast "Catch and Kill" about his expose on Harvey Weinstein, it is pretty good although obviously depressing. I am still listening to the Night Driver too, by Hedley Freeman - it comes out once a week on a Sunday so I usually listen to it while cleaning the bathroom :))
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Unearthed is good it's a new Scottish history podcast just completed its first series.

I've also been listening to and I warn you all it's a hard listen, Hunting Warhead. It's about uncovering the biggest child abuse site on the dark web. I haven't been able to listen to more than one episode at a time, so I've given you all fair warning before you dig in.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

cluefree wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:39 am This thread is really interesting! I’m not into murdery stuff but feel inclined to try some of these out.
Do you like sweary Americans comedians talking about all the really bad things that have happened in American history? It can be a bit pearl clutchy but try The Dollop. There are millions of episodes to get through.

Also David Tennant has a second series out.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Louis Therox's Grounded podcast is good.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

The Fault Line, by David dimbleby, about how the Iraq war came to be, is very good. Very well put together, as you might expect !
sally maclennane

I'll check that out, cheers Smal!

I started listening to a new one yesterday, called Violent Delights about a murder in the 60s in the North East of Scotland, its interesting although a bit gory in parts.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm "You're Wrong About" - loads of episodes, only a few in but so far very much up my street.
Mike and Sarah are journalists obsessed with the past. Every week they reconsider an event or person or trend that's been miscast in the public imagination.
I've only listened to one of these (about disco/Disco Demolition) but think I will download more.
bramblerose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:43 pm Table Manners with Jessie Ware and her mum. It's quite entertaining, they host a meal and invite people round to chat about food, life and other stuff.
Whereas I couldn't stand these two. It was the episode where they had Chris and Rosie Ramsay on, and it just made me go download one of theirs to try rather than more Table Manners. :lol:
smalex wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:17 pm I did listen to that Australian Case Files for a bit and then had to stop because I felt twitchy and unsettled all the time :look:.
I listened to one of these but find his delivery too offputting so haven't bothered with more.

I spotted Hedley Thomas has another series - did you ever finish The Night Driver sal - would you recommend?
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm listening to "I'm Not a Monster" which is just an insane tale, talk about truth being stranger than fiction.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've listened to loads of Youre Wrong About. Its not the most balanced but I really like the two presenters. The one about syphilis was bloody gobsmacking
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I stopped listening to table manners after the first series. I listened to the odd couple after that but the mum put me off with her attitude :lol:

I shall check out Chris and Rosie Ramsey.

There's a third series of Dear Joan and Jericha :love:
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
sally maclennane

wendy james wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

I spotted Hedley Thomas has another series - did you ever finish The Night Driver sal - would you recommend?
Its not finished yet, I've listened to it so far. Its ok but I dont think its as gripping as The Teachers Pet.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 am I'll check that out, cheers Smal!

I started listening to a new one yesterday, called Violent Delights about a murder in the 60s in the North East of Scotland, its interesting although a bit gory in parts.

Sounds good.

A great non murdery podcast is This is Love - it's by Pheobe Judge the woman behind Criminal and it talks about all sorts of love, romantic, having a passion for things. As an example, the latest episode is on Carlos Acosta the Cuban ballet dancer.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Does anybody here listen to Poog? It’s so funny, I really recommend it. I listen to podcasts at night, and poor S often hears the sinister sound of me laughing to myself in the dead of night because of this one.

It’s two comedians addressing the whole wellness thing while also trying to get free stuff. It’s probably best to listen to the episodes in order because it develops over time. No need though.

883D2A88-8F18-40EE-9011-DF82410159F8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.