The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Shoe

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by Shoe »

This made me so sad when I read it this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52098436#

All those plants going to waste when there are so many people who would love to have access to them while they're stuck at home. :(

I bought these late last night in an attempt to save my balcony:
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Lovely choices, Shoe. The dahlias in particular!

I was really sad to read that link :cry: Every year I go to a wholesale plant sale where they sell off their excess plants. It opens at 6am and people queue from 5am and it is ridiculously busy and well attended. Obviously it won't happen this year so I imagine all those plants will just be binned. What a waste.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Yeah, it made me so sad as well. I've also ordered a bunch of stuff from Farmer Gracy (no idea on quality but looked interesting) and if I could, I would totally be down my favourite nursery stocking up.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It is such a massive shame. We go to a wholesale type nursery once a year too, it's huge (we travel quite far, between mum and I it's worth it) and always so busy.

Anemones and rananculous are two of my faves, such cheery little chaps. I love dahlias but the prolific slugs and snails do for them here.
smalex

Post by smalex »

The little nursery near me are delivering. They broughts up bark chips and soil, but I'd guess they'd also bring plants. They've been quite overwhelmed they said.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Ah they look lovely, shoe.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:39 am Yeah, it made me so sad as well. I've also ordered a bunch of stuff from Farmer Gracy (no idea on quality but looked interesting) and if I could, I would totally be down my favourite nursery stocking up.
Ha! They're Farmer Gracy, did you also get caught on Instagram by an add?

I drive about 20 minutes away to go to a wee nursery, they shut down last week or I would definitely have ordered from them.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Shoe wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 am
Cosmopolitan wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:39 am Yeah, it made me so sad as well. I've also ordered a bunch of stuff from Farmer Gracy (no idea on quality but looked interesting) and if I could, I would totally be down my favourite nursery stocking up.
Ha! They're Farmer Gracy, did you also get caught on Instagram by an add?
Yep! They look really different and interesting and I'm hopeful they will cheer up my concrete paradise.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

We can compare notes when they arrive (direct from the Netherlands! as they keep telling me).

What did you order?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Yes. Loads, mostly for me but some are for my sis. And some dark purple ranculus that was cut off.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Ooh nice selection!
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Our local nursery is also delivering. I have no room at the moment after planting about 100 bulbs in our one tiny raised bed but I'll definitely order summer plants once the spring bulbs are done.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

My spring bulbs are currently blooming beautifully in pots at the bottom of my brother's garden because I didn't get a chance to bring them back from their overwinter home. :ella:
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I've gone full goth garden with all the deep dark colours. Can't wait.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I noticed that. :)). I am very excited to get mine, I hope they don't take too long. :fc:
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Well, I had a despatch note yesterday so I'll let you know, I still need to clear out a few beds to plant them in
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'm ready to go as I spent Sunday ripping out all the dead stuff. Considering how much I spent on them I think I may start them off in smaller pots in the porch first and then move them out once it's properly warmed up. I don't want a late frost to kill off my chance of colour!
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Good idea!
smalex

Post by smalex »

There must be risk of frost in your parts ( :flirt: ) for agggesss yet isn't there? I think it's May (may!)here.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I've been avoiding thid thread because I haven't done a single thing in the garden yet but you've inspired me and I've just spent a couple of hours out there tidying and sorting. There's still tons to do but I've made a start at least.

Your gardens are looking great, baa and smalex. And thanks Shoe and Cos for the bulb recommendation. I'm going to have a look there tonight.