Geocaching

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Cerise

Re: Geocaching

Post by Cerise »

Cash?! That’s nuts! :lol:

I’ve been working my way through a series of 20 puzzles that make up one walk. I’m at 17/20 at the moment. One on probability, one code breaker and a bonus logic puzzle with clues from the other 19. One puzzle showed you exactly where the cache was hidden with use of a drone and the had to identify the location on a map and find the coordinates.

A lot of the disabled ones around us are now being enabled again.
Margo

Post by Margo »

Funnily enough, after doing no geocaching for months undecided to check a few out yesterday on my dog walk...

I didn’t log anything but went to where the caches should be so that at some point I’m mean go back and do them properly. I got a bit scared of possible covid germs so didn’t want to touch anything.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Lots of COs are accepting photos of the caches and a couple even say something along the lines of “no photo necessary. If you haven’t found it, the only person you’re cheating is yourself”.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I’ve had some photo logs. The reviewers wouldn’t let any COs put a note to that effect on the cache pages though.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Those instructions am have only appeared since caches have been enabled again. Previously they said not to find and logs would be deleted. Now it’s considered ok to find but you don’t have to touch them. Our family rule is that it’s only me who does the touching and signing.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

A friend of mine put a note on his caches at the beginning of lockdown to say that in the circumstances no one should touch caches and just send him a photo log. He was promptly told that broke the rules and to take it down.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

20/20 on the puzzle series. Woo hoo! Now I need to find them.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Going out to try our first Wherigo this morning.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Oh good luck! I’ve only done one and we were a bit unlucky with how it worked out but they’re a good idea.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

It worked perfectly and was very quick. Popped up in our village so we’ve just done it as a wake up walk.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The one I did worked but it was based on Cluedo and we guessed the right answer at the first location so it was a bit of an anti climax.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Oh no! That’s disappointing. This one was based around the war memorial and sent us to the graveyard to look at a couple of graves of the men mentioned on it. Then down past an old cottage to note its date and then to the cache site. We were second to find which was nice!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Have you done any of the AR caches which sprung up a couple of years ago?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

No, are they “Lab” caches?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

No, the adventure lab caches are different again. The AR ones are classed as mystery I think but they use augmented reality (same tech as Pokemon go) in a similar fashion to wherigo. They were set up as a trial with a couple of AR app companies.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

22/24 today. So tired now!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Well done! That’s a good ratio of finding and sounds like a good long walk.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Went out for a series of puzzles that I’d solved. All found thankfully!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

We finally started geocaching last month, after I registered an account back in 2015! I think I'm enjoying it the most, although D is better at finding them than me. J seems to be enjoying it too, though some days gets tired so we only manage 1 or 2 at a time. Today we were out by an old railway line and the containers were Thomas the Tank engine and a Percy. I had a hard job getting J to leave them behind!

I love that series of puzzles, Cerise!

I'm off to read the thread from the start to pick up some tips!