Geocaching

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
la Fée Verte

Re: Geocaching

Post by la Fée Verte »

Mr Fee quite likes it. I also go quite a lot with my sister, and my mum enjoys a good one too. Especially the really busy ones like the tiny magnetic one outside the Tower of London; she liked it that so many people had already found it that day.

Annoyingly there's one right outside Mr Fee's mum's house (she lives by a gold Olympic postbox) which I keep forgetting to look for. :lg:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh really? Just on a phone? You didn't do it from 5 different directions and average it? :george:

I mean, it's not just the GPS that helps me find it anyway - I just look at the description of the cache and the likely hidey holes.

ETA: That was to Shirl.

My favourite one so far was hidden in a fake rock. I was so ridiculously excited. :lol: I want to find a magnetic snail.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The only one I tried to average got screwed up :lol: I just hold the phone over the cache and screenshot.

I found a fake rock recently, the last snail I found had a very confused real snail attached. Oh, and I recently found a rubber dinosaur which as well as the logbook contained a colony of earwigs, it was hideous.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

My boys would NEVER give up the minions!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Nor mine!
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Oh, and I recently found a rubber dinosaur which as well as the logbook contained a colony of earwigs, it was hideous.
I accidentally touched a slug once. :panic:

I have found one fake rock and a couple of fake bolts in fences.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Fake bolts can be a right git.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I've found lots of fake bolts but never fake rocks! I didn't know there were fake rocks! Or snails.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The snails are great, they're empty shells filled with some sort of resin which holds a plastic tube for the log.

I know I've mentioned this before but has anyone seen lock picking caches or is it a local thing?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I haven't but I haven't done anywhere near as much as you! 221 caches!

Do you use a combination of website and app?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Yes. Website for choosing caches and the app to actually go and find them

ETA 200 isn't that many, someone I know found his 6000th the other day!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think I've found 16. :lol:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I've got 49.

Can you stalk your friends on the app?
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

You can't do much on the app really, it's mostly to use instead of a GPS when you're out and about. Having said that I'm using the paid app which they're phasing out in favour of the free one, there may be stalking potential on the free one but I doubt it.
la Fée Verte

Post by la Fée Verte »

I've got 47.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Texaco Shirley wrote:You can't do much on the app really, it's mostly to use instead of a GPS when you're out and about. Having said that I'm using the paid app which they're phasing out in favour of the free one, there may be stalking potential on the free one but I doubt it.
Oh really? I think our app is a paid one.

The boys seem happy with the plan. J because he remembers doing some last summer and D because he doesn't remember so wants to know what we're talking about!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

If you're on android people seem to rate c:geo above the official app.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Yeah the Android app is a bit shit. It's OK for basics but I need to use the laptop to plan ahead as the app will only find nearby caches. (at least I think it does) Also, you can't see the photos in other people's logs so, if you're struggling, you have to bring up the website in your browser. I paid for the app but it wasn't much.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I think mine's the official app on iphone. I've only recently discovered the map option rather than the list! :dunce:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

The main problem with the free iphone app is not being able to save caches to an offline list. It was clearly designed by someone who only ever caches in town. You can do it with the paid one.