Podcasts & Blogs I like

Ruby

Re: Podcasts & Blogs I like

Post by Ruby »

baargain wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 am Did someone here recommend Shreds? I'm part way through it, I worked with the Icelandic psychologist! I helped find participants to validate his Suggestibility Scale!
I did! It's really good but I found the confession tapes a really hard listen.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

They were so difficult, and the impact on the poor guys after too.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Duophonic wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:40 pm I think that's the most sensible theory if suicide is discounted, that he possibly had gotten into something or in with a bad crowd which drew him to that area.

I thought maybe gambling debts or similar which would explain the missing money and watch.
Having finished it, I think some sort of debt is the most likely explanation. I feel awful for his family though, the police were shit although I don't agree that a family can "know" someone wouldn't take their own life. I can understand why his family feel like that but nobody can ever know for sure.

Uncover has a new one called Cat Lady so I might try that.

There is also a new episode of The Lady Vanishes in a few weeks apparently.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

I tried the Cat Lady but didn't really like it. I have been listening to the Confronting OJ podcast after watching The People vs OJ Simpson recently (long after everyone else!) I also listened to the latest version of the Lady Vanishes episode too which was interesting.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am really enjoying Paradise, a Radio 5 Live podcast.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Paradise is really good, such an interesting story.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I got quite obsessed by it! I am so glad they found Peta and Chris in the end. The graphic story of their deaths really upset me, which is quite unusual as I don't get too affected by that kind of thing.
Edith Bacon wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:00 pm I’ve been bingeing Cold and am really enjoying it, even though I know how it ends. It’s really well written and produced.
I have just finished this and am fascinated and appalled by it. The amount of work which has gone into the entire case by both the police and the chap who did the podcast is staggering.

I am getting into podcasts now as I am doing too much walking alone and getting very angsty. :twitch: I have tried No Sleep and Creepy as I like scary stories but the quality of these is a bit hit and miss. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent scary stories? I'm looking at titles on this thread too as some are right up my street.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Radio 4 did The curious case of Charles dexter ward. That was excellent.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Not really scary stories but Unexplained is good, he has a very soothing voice. Along those lines is Lore but the guy's voice is annoying as it's a bit staccato. I also listen to That's Weird which is very similar to My Favorite Murder in tone with two girls sharing weird stories and having a bit of banter.

Not stories but my recent listening has been The Clearing which is a daughter who has discovered that her father is a serial killer but is not only discussing that but debunking some of the myth behind him as he's been tagged as being The Zodiac Killer as well as the man responsible for the murder of those boys that The Memphis Three were prosecuted for. It's very well done. I've also listened to The Man In The Window which again was excellent and terrifying in detail.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

The Clearing sounds good. I've finally figured out podcasts :frolic: so I've listened to one about twin Australian brothers and a missing wife; Dirty John and currently listening to Atlanta Monster.
sally maclennane

Duophonic wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm . I've also listened to The Man In The Window which again was excellent and terrifying in detail.
This is about the GSK isn't it? I'll skip that I think :bob:

I forgot about Dirty John, I watched the Netflix series a few months ago but will download the podcast as I have a 3 hour round trip tomorrow.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Happy Face is by the daughter of a serial killer. It's sad and really well done.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Family Secrets is also really good, they're standalone episodes about family secrets (no, really?).
sally maclennane

I have been listening to the BBC podcast about Peaky Blinders, it's interesting and has some good guests but the guy doing it is quite irritating, I'm sure he's one of those posh boys who gets a hard-on about gangstas despite having grown up in Dulwich :ella:
sally maclennane

I'm still keeping up with the Peaky Blinders podcast but have also started listening to a new one from The Australian who I think did the Teachers Pet, it's called Nowhere Child about a wee boy who went missing from foster care. I've only listened to 2 episodes so far but it is really interesting.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Thanks for this, I just binged what was available yesterday and today.

It's interesting...but... I don't know how much to say until you've listened to more? Tell me when you're up to date!
sally maclennane

I've just started the last available episode today, so I'll probably finish it this evening.
sally maclennane

I have finished :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ok. Right. I sort of presumed it to be more investigatory in itself, but it's just retelling the story of investigation really? Which is still interesting. What do you think of it?

It is a fascinating case. I can't really even start hazarding a guess what happened
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am Ok. Right. I sort of presumed it to be more investigatory in itself, but it's just retelling the story of investigation really? Which is still interesting. What do you think of it?

It is a fascinating case. I can't really even start hazarding a guess what happened
Me neither, I started off quite convinced that it was connected to his biological parents as they had abducted him before but the police seem to have ruled them out completely, and they'd presumably be watching them very closely.

Once again, the police seem to have made a bit of a cock up and the social services folk haven't helped by being so secretive about him being a foster child.