Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
overthehill

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by overthehill »

Starry wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:48 pm When we were going through my great aunts things, we found her sewing machine. Every outfit for special occasions was made on that machine. She made wedding dresses, confirmation outfits, communion dresses, the lot.

It still works. So now I have it, plus all her old sewing stash. Now I just have to figure out what to make.
I've been away from this thread for far too long. Did I ever tell you that I had a woman (a neighbour, actually) who signed up to my beginners' course, in February, with her nan's old hand-crank Singer? It was the most lovely thing. Every time she started to sew, everyone else stopped to listen to the gentle tickety-tickety-tick sound of her machine. I swear it was good for the soul. :love:

I've had to stop my sewing classes for the foreseeable. Can't do social-distancing in our small shop, with customers in and out and, anyway, there's the amount of time in a confined space. One of the main selling points was that I ran day-long classes, so people got loads done in a relatively short space of time. Can't do that now.

ETA I have my mum's old 1952 hand-crank Singer. She refers to the external motor as "the electric accelerator". :lol: She couldn't afford it back then. I think it cost £6 extra! The old 1950 treadle machine in my shop window still has its original invoice, £29 16s 4d. That would have represented more than a month's wages to the average 'man in the street'.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Starry

Post by Starry »

My grandmother had one of those old Singers, I think my aunt has it now. The table she had fell to ruin, unfortunately.

It’s a shame about the sewing classes. Hopefully things will improve soon.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Hello. My dressmaking course starts on Tuesday.

I am making C. Please can I ask how I measure me to work out what size pattern to cut out?

I did try but I'm either a pattern size 20 or 10 according to my measurements. I'm normally a 14/16 bottom
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I'm not sure whether you should measure your natural waist, or where the skirt top will be (if that's different).

I usually go more on the finished garment measurements and find something that fits me to compare.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Pattern sizing is very hit and miss, with some Simplicity patterns using modern ready-to-wear sizing and others - like this one - still using old-fashioned 1950s mannequin sizing. In this case, the pattern sizing is clearly marked. So, unless you have a 25" waist, you would likely be cutting a size 20. I normally have to cut a size 18 or 20, with these sort of patterns. If going purely by the pattern sizing, I would play it safe with a size 20, but I usually double-check by adding up the waist measurements on the actual tissue pattern (remembering to allow for the 15mm seam allowance at each edge). You need to allow a couple of inches for wearing 'ease', but sometimes you can get away with cutting a size smaller.

Any help?
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Am I reading it right, OTH? The skirt has around 8" of positive ease at the hips? And the waist size shown is for the natural waist of the person? (Garment has no waist measurement).

Marth

Post by Marth »

overthehill wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:40 pm Pattern sizing is very hit and miss, with some Simplicity patterns using modern ready-to-wear sizing and others - like this one - still using old-fashioned 1950s mannequin sizing. In this case, the pattern sizing is clearly marked. So, unless you have a 25" waist, you would likely be cutting a size 20. I normally have to cut a size 18 or 20, with these sort of patterns. If going purely by the pattern sizing, I would play it safe with a size 20, but I usually double-check by adding up the waist measurements on the actual tissue pattern (remembering to allow for the 15mm seam allowance at each edge). You need to allow a couple of inches for wearing 'ease', but sometimes you can get away with cutting a size smaller.

Any help?
Thanks very much, OTH. That's very helpful.

I was thinking a 20. It's so wild how sizing has changed. It's always so disappointing finding a vintage skirt on my size and seeing how tiny the waist is!
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

ParisGal wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:24 pm Am I reading it right, OTH? The skirt has around 8" of positive ease at the hips? And the waist size shown is for the natural waist of the person? (Garment has no waist measurement).

I see what you mean. The garment measurement should be the size given for 'body size' at the top of the envelope, plus about 2" for ease - but some pattern brands add loads more 'ease' than is necessary. Butterick are devils for swampy patterns.

Looking at your High Street chart, I can't even fit Karen Millen anymore, but I can get into a 14 in M&S. When shopping, I think most of us tend to go for the smallest size that we can do up! :lol:
Marth

Post by Marth »

I have finished my flared culottes and they fit and look quite nice. However the fabric looks like an old dishrag and they will crease horribly.
Don't laugh at the photos!

I bought some fabric to make a dress next. Washed it, trimmed off a foot of fray :lol:

I really do love sitting and sewing, though there is so much I need to learn. But that's sort of the point really.
Malan
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’d missed this! So glad they fit and now you have a pattern that fits you can do them again in a fabric that doesn’t crease as much. Well done!
Marth

Post by Marth »

wendy james wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:25 am I’d missed this! So glad they fit and now you have a pattern that fits you can do them again in a fabric that doesn’t crease as much. Well done!
Thanks Wendy. A woman at my class is making an apron from material she bought from IKEA for £3.50 a metre, and it looked ideal to make these again.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Now that the kitchen is done I have free the little cupboard which has been my food larder for the past year :love:
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Very neat. I'm sure R wishes I could pack my sewing things away so tidily. :lol:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I have nearly finished this “chandelier” quilt top. The backing fabric is a panel, and I don’t want to lose any of the panel to the sides so I will need to add a 2.5 inch border all round the quilt. I’m not sure what border I want yet; I might cut/sew a couple of different things and try them out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

That's so pretty, Rosy!
Marth

Post by Marth »

That's so nice. And so neat!
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Wow! That's lovely, rosy.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

We were in the UK, last weekend, celebrating R's birthday. His daughter and her family stayed at the same hotel and, when they left, her youngest left his precious toy monkey behind. We were catching the ferry the next day, so Monkey had to come home with us. We had intended to post him back asap, but Covid has intervened, so he's having a bit of a holiday. And I've been indulging in a bit of tiny tailoring with some fabric scraps left over from the jacket I made for our St. Patrick's Day parade. You can tell I have too much time on my hands. :lol:
monkey-suit.jpg
monkey-suited.jpg
And here's my own jacket (made for the a James Joyce themed float, but worn a lot since)
S8844-st-patricks-day-2022-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Those are amazing! Lucky monkey having a holiday and such a smart outfit :hbeat:. Your jacket is beautiful.

Rosy that quilt! :hbeat:.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Rosy your quilts are always beautiful! So much patience and talent.

Monkeys outfit wonderful. I know that hat would have been fiddly.