Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
wendy james

Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by wendy james »

I'll take the date out of the title at some point, but I hope nobody minds a fresh new thread? The old one had been going since 2010 and is coming up to the 100 page mark!

I have some new voile curtains on the way from JL that will need shortening before hanging (it was paying for the last set to be altered that was part of my motivation to get a sewing machine!). However, I also have a huge dressmaking project list after a sort of my stash and some sale/Christmas voucher fabric purchases. Sproglette and I are both going to the Knitting & Stitching Show in March, so my aim is to buy nothing more before then, so I can then purchase more with merry abandonment. :perky:

So for my record, more than anything else:

Stash/*monthly projects (the projects will continue to arrive prior to March, but I have a bit of backlog)
· Turquoise taffeta – boat neck dress
· Mint green boucle – dress
· Brown pinstripe –trousers :panic:
· *Navy cotton – trousers
· *Red velvet – trousers
· *Light blue cotton – buttoned shirt

I have general trouser fear due to needing to do a fair amount of fitting that I need to get my head around, so I'm going to attempt some in the cheaper brown pinstripe before attempting the other two pairs. I/my machine made a bit of a mess with my last buttonhole for a skirt, so I need to practice that before attempting the shirt.

New fabric
· Black ponte roma – another blazer, as it will come in more handy than the camouflage print. :mrgreen:
· Flowers on navy jersey – wrap dress
· Black velvet – a second wrap dress!
· Daisy print lightweight denim – skirt
· Liberty print – top
· Fern print - top

Aren't the latter two lovely?

Does anybody else have anything in the pipeline? It feels nice not to be making things for other people for a bit!
Last edited by wendy james on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosy

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time (2017 sewing)

Post by rosy »

Oh, those are pretty! I received a voucher for this site but I haven't decided what to spend it on yet.

My projects for 2017 include:
  • continue with Liberty sampler quilt (lots of different quilt panels in a selection of toning Liberty prints)
  • bag for my portable sewing machine to go to class and back
  • covering the sofa and armchair
  • sofa cushions in a selection of French prints
  • clothes - to be decided.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I have a bag made from the blue, green and white Liberty fabric Wendy :dotty: It is lovely.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That looks fun, rosy. Will you design something or purchase one already designed?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I finished the taffeta dress before the year was out as we are apparently dressing up for the panto tomorrow! (I'm going to do thread belt loops by hand, hence the temporary pin.)
rosy

Post by rosy »

What a lovely frock, Wendy!
wendy james wrote:That looks fun, rosy. Will you design something or purchase one already designed?
I don't know yet, there's so much choice. I think I'm better off planning the project (no idea yet) and then picking the fabric to suit rather than the other way around.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thank you!

That sounds sensible, and very restrained. :mrgreen:
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Lovely dress Wendy, and those two fabrics are gorgeous!

My aim in 2017 is to do some sewing! I've been so busy decorating the house I just haven't had time, but I'm missing it.

Over the hill sorted me out a big bag pattern, so I'm going to start with that.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Hobbes wrote:Over the hill sorted me out a big bag pattern, so I'm going to start with that.
:))

You've reminded me that I need to advertise my New Year classes. I had a bit of a spree in Ikea before we left for Christmas. I stocked up on a load of bright fabrics for the next intake of beginners - max budget €6 per metre. :)) Alas, when it came to the photo for the FB ad, I realised that my original bag - the 'test-drive' one that R made and that I now keep my painting things in - was looking a bit tired, so I made another.

They're just the right size for the basic Singer machines, but not quite big enough for the electronic ones.
ToteBag.jpg
fabrics.jpg
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
wendy james

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by wendy james »

My trousers still aren't the perfect fit I'm after, so I'm going to try a different method of adding more to the thigh circumference. Hopefully won't end up with too much fabric in the crotch again. I prefer my crotch to be a bit higher too. Work in progress still!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good work though Wendy.

Oth I love those colourful fabrics and the bag is great.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Did your course cover trouser fitting? They look pretty amazing even if you don't think they're perfect yet.

Probably redundant with the information you already have, but Deer&Doe did a series of posts on fitting their latest pair of trousers, which might be of help. eg this one - look at all the fitting posts for Safran.
http://blog.deer-and-doe.com/9162-safra ... -the-back/
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks PG. I shall pin it with my others!

We fit a dress pattern and a culottes pattern in June. Of course, culottes have a very low crotch so there wasn't much required there. It might be worth me going back for another session just to have a more experienced eye identify what exactly the fitting issues are*, but also to have another pair of hands/eyes for the rear view!

*I have a c-section overhang, muscular thighs/calves, high/full arse and short legs so I think when I try to compensate for one thing it makes another area off. :mrgreen:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

:panic: My neighbour just came round and asked me to make her daughter a dress. She's Sproglette's age so I said I'd give it a go. There's no way I'd attempt clothing for another adult/teenager (P doesn't count ;) ).

ETA - and I'm going to sign up to this as soon as my 10% off code comes through.
http://sewoverit.co.uk/the-ultimate-trousers/
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

That looks great!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I found a 20% off code on their FB page, so even better!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Here's the first wrap dress. It's a false wrap I realised when I looked at the pattern properly, but that's fine. Less danger of flashing my pants in a breeze. :mrgreen:

I changed it from a side tie to a back tie, though I might give the next version a side tie. It still needs hemming, but the girls will be sleeping where the mirror is soon.

I do like having a growing selection of dresses with sleeves!
sarafused

Post by sarafused »

Oh that's pretty Wendy!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks!

Hobbes, how are you getting on?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

V2 in black velvet and with a side tie. It didn't photograph well for the thread on what I should wear at the weekend, but I like it.