Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Kleio

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by Kleio »

That’s lovely!
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Oooh! Those colours, rosy. It looks like a lovely stained-glass window! Beautiful.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

The quilt is almost finished, just got to do the binding now.

This is what I did on the plane to & from Amsterdam; I will cut them out individually and mount them on acrylic coaster blanks.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Gosh sorry, that's a terrible photo. I'll try to take a better one once I've made them into coasters.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Good God, I've only just discovered this thread. You are all so GOOD! Bloody hell. I'm very new to this so will be lurking for a while but I've got so much inspiration now.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

So (sew) I’m thinking about joining you. It’s my birthday at the end of the month and I think I’d like a sewing machine. Nothing too fancy. Can you give me some ideas please?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Janome machines are supposed to be good and you can get various decent budget machines in John Lewis. I’ve heard less good things about Brother so maybe avoid those.
rosy

Post by rosy »

What are you wanting to sew, Cerise? The sort of machine you need really depends on what you intend to use it for, and whether you want something light enough to take to classes. Also, can you give us an idea of your budget?

If you just want to do fairly basic clothes and household stuff like cushions, curtains, bunting etc, then your best bet is a mechanical rather than digital machine, something like the Janome 7025 or 725S. I have a Janome 525S as my workhorse/class machine which is the same one as they used on the Sewing Bee a couple of series' ago. I tend to use Janomes exclusively but I know some people don't like them. The Brother LX25 is similar in capacity. You'll need a machine that does straight stitch, a selection of zig-zag stitches, and preferably a one-step buttonhole capacity (including the buttonhole foot).
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

rosy

Post by rosy »

Don't get the mini John Lewis Janome - it's a great machine to take backwards and forwards for classes but it's very limited in what it can do and you'll end up needing something bigger almost immediately, as it can't put in zips and you can't change the foot.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I got myself a very basic one from Hobbycraft. It was £70 and I'd never used a sewing machine in my life so thought I'd start out basic and if I really loved it then I'd save up for a better one at a later date. It is a mechanical one. Youtube showed me how to do all the stuff. I'd not even heard of a bobbin before. It has the basics, does about 19 different stitches, comes with a zip foot etc. Nothing fancy at all but it (so far) works well for my limited experience.

Anyway, do it Cerise. It is so relaxing and rewarding. Since learning what a bobbin was, I've made a dress (unwearable but still), school dress up clothes and have hemmed my curtains. IT IS A REVELATION. SO many things to sew!

Oh, meant to show you the first thing I made. The fabric is disgusting but it is recognisable as a dress. Please excuse my face, I was chuffed to bits with myself :)) 24 hours before this I didn't even own a sewing machine.
Last edited by Luce on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’m not really sure what I want to make but I feel like I should own a machine. :lol: It stems from taking ages to hand sew a rat’s tail for my book day costume. I’ve saved some Christmas tree decorations on Pinterest but that’s about it. I can’t really see me making clothes for myself but those could be famous last words. If Luce can... :))

I briefly looked at the machines in Hobbycraft the other day but had no idea what I was really looking at.
Luce

Post by Luce »

If I can :))

Honestly. You'll start seeing things everywhere that can be made better with a sewing machine. I have a few pieces that are too big now so I'm going to try and work out how to take them in.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Look how excited you are! Good job! Is it a Hobbycraft own brand one you have?
Luce

Post by Luce »

I couldn't believe it :))

It was this one
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft ... 42219-1000
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Will this do for me? Mr Sax will be paying. :))

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/janome-440 ... 01437-1000
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’d also like to do cards.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That’s the one I got as a beginner Cerise, and it’s served me well (I hate quilting though and don’t want anything to embroider). I haven’t yet upgraded it, as I bought an overlocker instead and that was the right choice for me, as I’m mainly making clothes and the inside seams are so much neater/jersey stuff is quicker.

Sroglette has the JL janome one (in pink) and it annoys me as it doesn’t have the thread cutter. :lol: Our spares are interchangeable, and Janome ones are easy to get hold of IME.

That’s ace Luce. I was similarly excited about my first cushion and pyjama bottoms.

I was a bit sad the other day to throw one of my first dresses into the recycling. It was used a lot with leggings in the colder months and the fabric has bobbled. Of course though, I can just make a new one. :perky:
Last edited by wendy james on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Oooh, look at your frock, Luce. :love2:

I am also thinking of veering into this thread. I am going to nick mother's sewing machine, as she can't use it anyway, due to rubbish thumbs. :))
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Luce I love that dress! It looks great.

Cerise’s I’ve done quite a few cards although not for ages, they’re fun to do. My sewing ladies and I are planning to do one of these courses later in the year and make a weekend of it.
https://poppytreffry.co.uk/collections/courses/products/copy-of-freehand-machine-embroidery-course-14th-june-2019