Sew much fabric, sew little time

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Ella77

Re: Sew much fabric, sew little time

Post by Ella77 »

Those duvets for teddies :love:!
rosy

Post by rosy »

I finally got around to finishing the windmill quilt. I quilted a quarter of an inch inside each windmill and half-windmill to echo the shape. It’s got macarons on the back! I’m giving it to C for Christmas.
Last edited by rosy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I made Elvis a skirt on Christmas Day out of some dinosaur fat quarters I bought her. I made myself a skirt yesterday and this pinafore for Elvis today. I had to buy her a black top to wear underneath. :lol:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I love pinafores so much. That's so sweet, Wendy.

Show us your skirt!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

It’s denim coloured and doesn’t photograph well, as in you can’t see the pleats. It’s this Sew Over It one, though I’ve gone with the longer version.

If I make it again, the pockets will be placed higher. My short arms can only just reach them. :lol:
Last edited by wendy james on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I really like that, Wendy.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Cheers!

That quilt is fab rosy (I didn’t see the pics before).
Margo

Post by Margo »

I have find my sewing mojo again! I haven’t sewn anything for ages, although I used to make clothes for myself years back. I had a work blouse with long cuffed sleeves, and I never wear it because I hate long sleeves. So as I’m stuck indoors today I dragged my sewing machine out and set about altering them into bracelet length. Done. Then I rummaged for some fabric and found some I’d planned to make cushions or something with years ago... Half an hour later I have a fabric box-thing (what’s the word I’m after???). Really easy to do, and I fancy doing more and keeping my machine out. The ‘thing’ is a bit too soft but I didn’t have anything to stiffen the layers with, but it’s still ok for half an hour 😊
Skips

Post by Skips »

You could put a plastic tub or something in it that could add structure? I need to sort the front bedroom out so I can get back into it.
Margo

Post by Margo »

That’s a good idea; I expect when it’s full of crap it’ll be a bit more structured 😂

Basket. I think that’s what I was thinking of, duh!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We call them floppy pots in my house. Well done on getting stuff out!

I’m partway through a dress and am not entirely sure on the next step (the sleeve has a facing with a split), so I’m leaving it for my next home alone weekend. I need to start on something else though.
Margo

Post by Margo »

That’s inspired, Wendy! Ok, I made a floppy pot 😂
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve made a few of those, I’m trying to remember how I stiffened them, I think it was with iron-on interfacing. I like your floppy pot, very nice fabric.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I put iron-on interfacing in them. They are so useful to put bits & bobs into for tidying up.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Lisa from Sew Over It is doing a sew-along with the Betty dress next Wednesday and Thursday at 1pm on YouTube, if anyone's interested? That should give us enough time to cut out the fabric and get ready.

I'm going to try and be there, anyway!
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Naturally, I have not cut out any fabric and I'm doing virtual pub quiz tonight. The best laid plans, an' all that.
Starry

Post by Starry »

When we were going through my great aunts things, we found her sewing machine. Every outfit for special occasions was made on that machine. She made wedding dresses, confirmation outfits, communion dresses, the lot.

It still works. So now I have it, plus all her old sewing stash. Now I just have to figure out what to make.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Wow! Those were the days when machines were made to last.
Starry

Post by Starry »

It weighs a ton and probably hasn’t been used in a decade or more but I am going to take it to be serviced. The motor is external so if it does give up the ghost I assume it can be easily replaced.

I have stuff from the 1960s in the box.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Brilliant! That's a bit like mine, but seems even older. All the working parts are metal so it's a real joy. Mine needs servicing too though.