The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Mayday

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by Mayday »

Gorgeous gardens!

I love the clematis and the peony, and the roses too.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

All looks fabulous! I’m thinking of going to Homebase because I could do Sainsbury’s too. I need canes for my sunflowers and tomatoes but I’ll probably come back with more! Actually I have questions but I need to take photos first.
smalex

Post by smalex »

You all made me do it:
20200520_105114.jpg
20200520_105107.jpg
20200520_105053.jpg
David Austin roses and a verbascum
smalex

Post by smalex »

20200520_104850.jpg
20200520_104822.jpg
20200520_104811.jpg
First strawberry! Irises and foxgloves and finally, my accidental bed of poppies, iris, foxgloves and alliums (all lobbed together to make way for the extension, but realised it accidentally came together really nicely so they were allowed to move there permanently!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Rebs and smal, they look gorgeous. I'm envious because I am working like mad on my garden but it's at that stage where things have been mostly tidied but the new things haven't established yet so it looks scrubby. It was better with mad lush overgrowth. But! If the cats and squirrels don't destroy all that is precious to me, it will eventually be better than it was when I started.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Beautiful!

I love your roses, Smal.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

smalex wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am I get it. So yours slopes down from the house? I'm always interested to see how other people have dealt with the slope!
It does both. There's one level at the back which is above the house. Here is a shit side elevation scribble to illustrate. I will not expect a job as an architectural draftsperson on the back of this. :mrgreen:

Where N is neighbour above and behind us on the next level up.
IMG_20200520_105745~2.jpg
The slopey bit going towards the road is fairly wild, nettley and unusable. Some neighbours have more structure and levels in theirs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Oh yours is looking fabulous smal. That orange /peach rose is a lot like mine. It's such a beautiful shade.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Here’s my front garden, which I’m about to weed
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Cerise wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am All looks fabulous! I’m thinking of going to Homebase because I could do Sainsbury’s too. I need canes for my sunflowers and tomatoes but I’ll probably come back with more! Actually I have questions but I need to take photos first.
There was a big queue the first week they opened, before the bank holiday weekend, but when we did C&C last week at around 10am on Thursday it looked much quieter.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

And my black elder, with roses growing up through it
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am And my black elder, with roses growing up through it
Oh I love that.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Goat- mine is going through a bit of a scrubby stage on the other side, where we rebuilt/made new beds and moved a load of things, so I know what you mean. I just didn't photograph though :mrgreen:

Rebs yours is so like mine! All of us around here have done really different things with the slope. My next door neighbour moans endlessly about it, I do moan occasionally but I sort of like the terraces really.

I love that black elder with a rose. Roses growing into trees are so romantic and lovely
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

There’s a clematis in it too but it’s not done much this year yet.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have the same black elder, but I have nasturtiums growing into mine (at least they do once its own flowers are done, they are lingering around the bottom still right now, sizing it up). I like the gentle pink and black at this time of year, followed by theatrical orange and black in the dog days.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Black elder twins!

I am pondering making cordial. Anyone tried it, does it keep the pink colour? :weewee:
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've only ever tried it with the normal stuff (it was a crashing disappointment! I think it went moudly). If it kept the pink it would be lovely.

Mine is just coming out, I hadn't thought of growing something through it.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am If anyone is interested, Gardening Express have an offer via MSE whereby you can buy either 100 gladiolus bulbs or 25 oriental lily bulbs for £10 including postage - use the code MSEFLOWER at checkout to get the free postage. (Not suitable if you have pets which might eat them!)

Link: https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/excl ... n=campaign
Thank you for this - I passed it on to Mum and she has bought the lilies plus some other stuff. She was very frustrated not to be able to go to a garden centre as we all (inc. her partner who would have to drive her) told her she wasn't allowed :))
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I have a black elder tree. It has peonies growing underneath it, I'd definitely grow a rose up it if they weren't there, what a lovely idea.

I have a dead tree that roses have grown up, and have taken over the canopy of the tree. It's quite impressive when it is in flower.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I have a black elder also with clematis growing up it and I have a mock orange blossom with a different clematis growing up that also.

Everyone's gardens look lovely. Mine is still a new garden so I need a lot more plants for borders but it has filled out a lot considering it was ground elder and ivy only when I first moved here.