The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
smalex

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by smalex »

20200607_143245.jpg
I made a little collection of things for the front garden, re-using the old coffee table we had out the back. The slate top was stand for our wedding cake :thrifty: :mrgreen:
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Gosh everyone's gardens, plants are lovely.
I have some questions about strawberry plants.
I now have berries but I also have a "runner" . When should I cut this off? Is it was to grow a new plant? I presume it wouldn't fruit until next year?
smalex

Post by smalex »

The runners are new plants. If you want them I think you can pin them down to help them grow ? then cut off the link eventually? Or just cut them off if they're not needed. I'm almost certain they wouldn't fruit this year.

I tend to leave mine to it so I'm not much of an expert tbh.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

A nice lady passerby knocked on my door a week or so ago and asked if I’d mind if she harvested some flowers from my black elder to make cordial. I said Go ahead! never expecting to hear anything more about it, and I didn’t notice whether she’d taken any whenever I’ve been out as they are so abundant this year.

Anyway, there was another knock on the door yesterday and she was back, bearing gifts!
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Oh how kind of her to bring you the cordial! Is it delicious?
smalex

Post by smalex »

What a treat!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That is very kind! Is she from a Covid-free household :look: :lol:?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I’ve not tried it yet, all I’ve done so far is wash the bottles and put them in the fridge, in case she didn’t use any citric acid in her recipe.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I ordered some Verbena plants, for the new bed next to the decking. I knew they'd not be Garden Centre sized but... :mog:
20200609_125914.jpg
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've done that before, Smal. I didn't realise plug plants were so tiny. :))

Hopefully they'll grow fast for you.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Beatrix, I love that bed. Please come and design one for me! I’m actually now trying to plan a bit rather than buy random stuff that looks pretty and shove it in.

Here’s my veg plot. One of my children voluntarily picks and eats lettuce! Also pictured are the gerbera I got five for a tenner. They’re massive! And a white lavender. There’s a chap who normally has a plant stall outside Waitrose who’s selling via FB at the moment. He’s such good value and delivers for free. When I rang about the gerbera, he ask what colours and I said, “as bright as possible” so that’s what I got. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

That looks great Cerise! Your gerberas are very happy looking
Disco

Post by Disco »

Smal, you really need a 50p next to those. :))

The gerberas are great. They're such cartoon flowers, I always think.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I do like all your garden table displays too, smal. I have a table with plants on but it just looks like I’ve forgotten to tidy up after myself while potting up. I might paint the table actually that might begin to make it look more decorative rather than functional.

My peonies are opening now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Beautiful! That colour is amazing.

I quite enjoyed putting the tables together. I've never tried it before
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm so glad I saw your (?) post about the frame as then I realised that's what people do with them. For years they've been slumped to the ground :lol: so fashioning my string frame has improved the plant by 87%.

You've got an eye for things like that* whereas I don't.

* making things look nice
smalex

Post by smalex »

:lol: It's only this year I got my shit together and propped them up. I've always thought how lovely they'd look if they weren't slumped in the mud
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Beautiful peonies. And I like your veg patch, Cerise. Smal can you come design our garden please?

Veg patch area pretty much finished.

End of March and now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Everything's coming along. Love the splashes of colour Cerise and Diccers.

The veg patches are looking good.

Our garden has been a bit of an experiment as we didn't know what we had and obviously our intention to rewild meant a hands-off approach. I think for next year we really need to sit down and do a bit of planning or properly discuss what we actually want.

Our tomatoes are coming on a treat and in flower
Peppers are doing well
The DA roses are coming on nicely, tons of new growth on both, will they flower this year? I hope so but looking forward to next year.
The original rose in the garden has flowered, it's very neglected so only one flower although my introduction of native ladybirds has been successful and I have new fresh growth so hoping for multiple flower heads next year.
Yellow rattle is in flower and the bees love it, it's successful but I naively assumed it would kill the grass back more than it has. I'm still debating removing the lawn on that section next spring and sowing more wildflowers.

We have a few random flowers springing up some yellow ones that I've googled and believe them to be yellow loosestrife and I have some giant iris.

Out front my lavender is doing well as is my welsh poppies.

No pics I'm afraid as it's pouring and I can't be bothered getting wet :))
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh your veg patch looks fantastic Jupe! I love it. What are you growing?
I'd bloody love to be a garden designer!! If only I knew more about plants. *cough* I've looked up horticultural courses more than once *cough*.

Yours sounds great Duo. My new DA roses turned up this week so theyve just gone in. I'm waiting for some Peter Beale roses too. Mine have always flowered in the first year I think so fingers crossed.