The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Shoe

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by Shoe »

Look at the bloody chaos I'm dealing with. :mog:
IMG_20200613_155817.jpg
I went to my favourite independent garden centre and they had almost nothing left, no bedding plants at all so I have a complete lack of colour.

I'm also disappointed in the farmer gracy bulbs, half of them still haven't done anything at all. A few rotted away completely and this is the only flower on the dahlia which did grow well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smalex

Post by smalex »

How disappointing Shoe. The flower you do have is very pretty. Mine have done well so far, although the dahlias haven't got as far as flowering yet
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

That is a gorgeous colour, Shoe.

Smal, we have potatoes, onions, kale, courgettes and two pumpkin plants donated by our neighbours.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Further adventures in pergola building!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

That looks very professional! What are you going to grow up the sides / over the top?
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I have fences now and a huge bed made of railway sleepers. I need all the compost to fill it now. :mog: it's going to cost a fortune.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

That looks amazing!

We built it around the existing clematis and honeysuckle so the plan is to try and train it over the pergola.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Looks brilliant Jupiter! Have you got furniture for underneath it?

That looks really good Cos, did you build it? You really will need vast amounts of compost! I couldn't believe how much compost it took to fill some of our pretty small new areas, its not easy to come by right now either.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I think there’s a waste collection company which advertises on Sam FM that also supplies topsoil, might something like that be cheaper for your beds Cos? I can’t remember the company but it was a man’s name then Rubbish, like Derek’s Rubbish but I don’t think it was Derek, which always made me smirk because it appeared to be a claim to being shit.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Tom's Rubbish Clearance?

There's loads who deliver. I wish I'd ordered by delivery now, but I never thought I'd need so much. It must have been 700L at least!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

That’s it, thanks smal!

https://www.tomsrubbish.com/topsoil
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Thanks! I've seen the van driving around and was thinking of ordering some rather than trying to lug compost bags around myself.

We had someone in who did the fences, beds and a patio. They were very cheap but have done a crackingly good job.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Arthur David have got some compost back in stock I think.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

smalex wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:55 am Looks brilliant Jupiter! Have you got furniture for underneath it?

That looks really good Cos, did you build it? You really will need vast amounts of compost! I couldn't believe how much compost it took to fill some of our pretty small new areas, its not easy to come by right now either.
We have a granite table and benches that we inherited with the house that will move there. But we need a mini digger to move them as they weigh a tonne :lol:
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

wendy james wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:31 pm Arthur David have got some compost back in stock I think.
Oh good call! I'll have a scout there and Mr Cos is going to sort out Tom's rubbish for some rubbish removal and topsoil at the same time.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Sunflower question: should I pinch out the little growth between the main stem and the leaf “branches” like you do with tomatoes?

One of our sunflowers has 11 buds!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

No! It might generate loads of side flowers! This is exciting. I grow Kong sunflowers and they do this, they have a main head and a billion side flowers. :love:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Yes I think their going to make extra heads. We’re excited to see which colours come because we’ve totally lost track of which ones were which!
smalex

Post by smalex »

20200621_114456.jpg
20200621_114544.jpg
20200621_115205.jpg
Veg coming on well. And The raspberries are tremendous this year!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Wow!