Show your (craft)work

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Ella77

Re: Show your (craft)work

Post by Ella77 »

Those are very good but I’m afraid the cushion covers really look like swastikas to me!
rosy

Post by rosy »

Oh my, they do a bit. I hadn’t spotted it and now that’s all I can see! Nothing I can do about it, though :(
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Sorry :lol:. It’s probably just the photo and not apparent in real life. Are they for you or for gifts?

Lovely Loki.
rosy

Post by rosy »

For me, to brighten up the sitting room a bit. It’s the one on the top right that’s really bad isn’t it? I’ll put it at the other end of the sofa that tends to get magazines and my school bag (French study) chucked there.

My school bag is owls and rainbow webbing, that ought to cover it up :lol:
Last edited by rosy on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Yes because the one on the top right goes the other way to the others!
rosy

Post by rosy »

I don’t know how I did that! It’d be a right faff to take it apart. Maybe I’ll just have four cushions :look:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Poor Rosy and her swastika cushions. :lol:

If it helps I love your hearth rug.

A couple of friends who were nurses asked if I could make them some button headbands to loop their masks around rather than their ears so I whipped these up. I’ve just been asked if I can make a minimum of 350!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Me and my Nazi cushions. :lol: They look a lot better now that I've added snaps for fastening (I hate zips) and have scattered them "artfully" on the sofa & armchair.

350! That's a big ask. I was going to say let me know if I can help but I have to make 40 triple layer masks tomorrow.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The fabric for the masks is arriving on Tuesday hopefully.

Once I’ve got them cut out they take 3 minutes and 45 seconds to sew together (minus buttons). I only know as Cube timed me a number of times. :lol: so I *could* make that many if I can source 700 buttons. I’ve managed to rope in a few others so hopefully it’s doable. I know people making scrubs from cotton bedsheets as our hospital can’t keep up with the sheer amount they need.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Those are brilliant, Kleio! I’ve been wanting to ask my mum if she would do anything like this as she has a machine, the ability and the time but I don’t know how to do it without it sounding like “why aren’t you helping people?” :lol: She would happily work away at it so it’s not that at all, I think it just hasn’t occurred to her.

The accidental nazi cushions have really made me laugh this morning, sorry rosy :lol: I think you’re absolutely right that It’s only seeing them lying flat like that and it won’t be a thought once they’re out and amongst your things. Just a good inside joke if you have any Turtles round :))

LAZZ what’s going on with your blanket? I have now turned the corner of two horrible mistakes on my cross stitch that turned out not to be as bad as I first thought. Is it salvageable?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Rosy, unless the picture’s been flipped sideways from the actual object, you can rest easy that your cushions don’t create a Nazi symbol (swastika - arms are clockwise), it’s the one in the other direction (sauwastika - arms are anti-clockwise).
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Isn't a backwards swastika a symbol of peace in one religion, pretend you meant that Rosy.

I like them regardless of Nazi association. :))

I had to rip out loads of crochet yesterday because I forgot what pattern I was doing and mucked it up. So frustrating!
rosy

Post by rosy »

Thank you!

That’s so frustrating, Shoe.

I got out the seemingly-endless flowers in the snow blanket a couple of days ago and a couple of squares have come unravelled. So I stuffed it all back in the bag and put it out of sight. :lol:

Today’s task is to finally finish the big quilt for my bed; it just needs an hour or so of hand sewing and then it’s done, then get on with the masks for N and her colleagues.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Such detailed sewing, Rosy! I made an enormous quilt out of squares and that basically finished me off, I could never do anything so precise.

Oh Shoe, I hear ya. I had to go back 8 rows on my blanket but I'm almost back to where I first noticed that I had a totally random and incorrect number of stitches. :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

Finally finished the hand sewing! The backing and binding are done all in one rather than doing the binding separately.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Wow, that's a mammoth quilt! Do you do all the quilting yourself? My craft teacher lady has one of those professional digital machines so I paid her to do my Paris quilt. Just the thought of trying to get two metres of fabric quilted on my normal sewing machine is enough to make me wince.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

That’s so beautiful, rosy!
rosy

Post by rosy »

I did do all the quilting, yes - but that one only has diagonal grid lines so it was just a matter of rolling it up tightly.

I did a free motion quilting course a couple of years ago and i love doing it, but if I had the space (and the money) I’d definitely get one of those Handi-Quilt machines.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm impressed by any quilting of anything that big!

I've finally got into the swing of the crochet blanket and have done 16 rows out of 90.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That quilt is incredible