Show your (craft)work

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
overthehill

Re: Show your (craft)work

Post by overthehill »

I do. :mrgreen: And I'm counting each row. But there's loads of stuff going on here. Mostly, I'm not very good at this! :) Also, switching the colours from the original, I hadn't taken into account where the increases occur. There's an increase at the end of each fourth or fifth row, which - where that coincides with a colour-change - makes the whole thing look worse. I've also messed up the colour-change between the black and yellow, resulting in an apparent extra stitch. :(

On the other hand, R thinks it's brilliant, bless him. Maybe the mistakes will look less obvious when it's finished. :polyanna:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

You could maybe try and tidy up your transition where you had an extra stitch by oversewing with yarn of the right colour on a needle?
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

H1ppychick wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:02 pm You could maybe try and tidy up your transition where you had an extra stitch by oversewing with yarn of the right colour on a needle?
Funnily enough, that's exactly what I did. I searched the web for some way of replacing a stitch but the only viable solution seemed to be to re-do the whole lot. So I put in a couple of stitches in yellow yarn, to cover the black. It isn't very expertly done, but the colour swaps now run in an even diagonal line.

I've finished one of the legs, so the elephant is now ready for stuffing, before I close the body by crocheting the second one, but I did a flame test on the kapok and have decided against using it. It flares up immediately at the touch of a match, like the brandy on a Christmas pudding, and then smolders for several minutes, emitting glowing red sparks, until all that is left is a small charred ball. Definitely not safe - though, for interest, I'll try the same test on the polyester wadding and see what happens.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I've just been down to pick up the results of my first pottery weekend, I'm generally pleased. Herewith my favourites.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Here’s my trinket/bonbon tray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Here’s my little pinch pot thingy, made with crank clay which is coarser:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

And finally my tulip wall plaque, which is not perfect, but I think came out pretty well given that I had literally 5 minutes to bang on some coloured slip at the end of the session. The inside of the petals are pretty patchy but it looks ok on the outside apart from a tiny smudge. Shame I didn’t have time to paint any of the foliage but I think it stands out quite well as it is.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I made 3 other things but I don’t like them as much.
rosy

Post by rosy »

They are so pretty & clever!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

The tray is fantastic!
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Wow! They're brilliant. I love the tulip.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Really lovely.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The elephant is looking great OTH.

Lego fabric outfits are done in time for our holiday.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You’ll certainly be able to find your children in a crowd! :lol:
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Wow! Those are great, Hippy. I love the scale/fish pattern on your bon bon tray. Was that done by pressing something into the clay? It looks very professional.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Thanks OTH, that was the first thing we made on day 1 and was by far the easiest, and you could probably make lots of the same thing fairly consistently! It is indeed created by rolling out a sheet of prepared clay, putting something of the desired pattern on top and rerolling it (in this case the edge of one of those wipe clean coated table mat / doily things, which I repeat-rolled across the surface). You then cut to the shape you want using a sharp knife, create the rim by pushing a slightly smaller wood block gently down into the centre of the clay sheet when it's sitting on top of a sponge, and it's pretty much ready, bar a minor trimming of any sharp edges after it's dried a couple of hours, then firing and glazing.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Hello! :wave: Pardon my state of undress. I still need my trousers and hat. :mrgreen:
luisa-elephant-2.jpg
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

He's so cute! He looks vaguely shy / bashful (notwithstanding any trousery-nudity).
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

He's so cute! I live the pottery too.

WJ the Lego fabric looks great made up!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

He’s cute!

I made a start on outfits for us for a christening. I have another dress to make for me, so will be able to choose.

Sproglette’s is a vest that I’ve extended to dress length then used the sheer poncho pattern from a top I made for myself, adjusting the neckline to match the vest.